Medical Certificate for Thai Retirement Visa, in the UK (Cheshire/NW)

Can anyone recommend a Doctor/Clinic in the UK (Cheshire / North West) who is able to sign the Medical Certificate for a Thai Retirement Visa. My wife and I are just getting everything ready (Bank Statements/Police Record Checks/Medical Cerificates etc.) to apply at the Royal Thai Embassy in London over the next couple of weeks.

We have just had a spanner thrown in the works by my GP who "does not feel able" to sign this certificate. This is not because I have (or am likely to have) any of these diseases, but he has obviosuly not seen a Thai Medicial Certifcate before and obviously feels out of his depth. A pity really, as I have had nothing but excellent service from this practice over the years, on the vary rare occasion that I have had need of their services.

Thanks

You will have to resort to a private resource such as < https://www.bmihealthcare.co.uk/treatments/general-medicine/general-consultation >

There are, of course others such as < http://www.spirehealthcare.com/cheshire/private-gp-service/ >.

Google will reveal more.

You may find you are required to have (at a cost) blood tests to positively exclude the strange diseases the Thais want reassurance about.

Why not get your retirement visa in Thailand like most people do. You don't need a medical certificate or a police record check.

That was our original plan. When we were last in the UK (at Christmas), we trekked down to London with what we thought was all the necessary paperwork, including company pension statement, to get the 90 day visa (O-A ?) to convert later in Thailand. The visa officer point blank refused to do it (no discussion) and just said we were too young (I am 62, my wife 57) and that we had to apply for the 1 year visa. Their own web site says 50, our local consulate tells us it is 50. As we were due to go back. we just got ourselves a 60 day tour visa locally and went back over and put everything in place to get the 1 year visa on our next trip back to the UK. Did not seem to be too much hassle and were not expecting the GP to be so awkward.

You will have to resort to a private resource such as < https://www.bmihealthcare.co.uk/treatments/general-medicine/general-consultation >

There are, of course others such as < http://www.spirehealthcare.com/cheshire/private-gp-service/ >.

Google will reveal more.

You may find you are required to have (at a cost) blood tests to positively exclude the strange diseases the Thais want reassurance about.

Thanks for the pointers. Will give Spire a call. They have a place a couple of miles away.

Where do you intend to settle in Thailand ?

You could consider getting tourist visas from the UK and then applying for single entry "O" visas from say Penang or Vientiane.

If you choose to do this you will need your income certified by the British Embassy in Bangkok to obtain the "O" visas and the subsequent extensions(s) of stay.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/505204/Pension_07_03_16.pdf

Why not get your retirement visa in Thailand like most people do. You don't need a medical certificate or a police record check.

That was our original plan. When we were last in the UK (at Christmas), we trekked down to London with what we thought was all the necessary paperwork, including company pension statement, to get the 90 day visa (O-A ?) to convert later in Thailand. The visa officer point blank refused to do it (no discussion) and just said we were too young (I am 62, my wife 57) and that we had to apply for the 1 year visa. Their own web site says 50, our local consulate tells us it is 50. As we were due to go back. we just got ourselves a 60 day tour visa locally and went back over and put everything in place to get the 1 year visa on our next trip back to the UK. Did not seem to be too much hassle and were not expecting the GP to be so awkward.

I did it the easiest way possible. I've been here many years on various visas, but when I finally decided to get, to use the correct term, a one year extension of stay based on retirement, I was back in the UK for a short visit and returned to Thailand. I didn't even have a visa. I came in on a 30 day entry. I transferred the funds I needed (800k) to my Thai savings account and 5 days before the 30 days was up I went to immigration and converted the 30 day to a 3 month non "O" visa. Before that expired I went back to immigration and got the one year stay. That's the easiest way to do it. No medical, although that's easy here, and no police record checks.

I did it the easiest way possible. I've been here many years on various visas, but when I finally decided to get, to use the correct term, a one year extension of stay based on retirement, I was back in the UK for a short visit and returned to Thailand. I didn't even have a visa. I came in on a 30 day entry. I transferred the funds I needed (800k) to my Thai savings account and 5 days before the 30 days was up I went to immigration and converted the 30 day to a 3 month non "O" visa. Before that expired I went back to immigration and got the one year stay. That's the easiest way to do it. No medical, although that's easy here, and no police record checks.

Thanks for the suggestion/feedback. Certainly something to consider. Can I ask how long ago that was? Would have to time it right, as we are often in and out of Thailand, either in the region or back to the UK. The Police certificates/Bank statements are not the issue; just the medical certificate. My wife has not even got a problem with that as her GP is quite happy to issue it. Just mine is being a pain.

Thanks for the suggestion/feedback. Certainly something to consider. Can I ask how long ago that was? Would have to time it right, as we are often in and out of Thailand, either in the region or back to the UK. The Police certificates/Bank statements are not the issue; just the medical certificate. My wife has not even got a problem with that as her GP is quite happy to issue it. Just mine is being a pain.

You are correct in asking about how long ago this "conversion" was done. For all practical purposes a conversion can only be done now in Bangkok although a few offices can accept applications for forwarding to Bangkok. The whole process takes 15 days.

It was last year I got mine. Getting a medical certificate here is obtained by walking into a clinic and paying 200 baht to get a piece of paper that takes 5 minutes. You used to need one for a retirement extension but they abolished that requirement here a few years ago. It only applies if you are applying from another country.

You are correct in asking about how long ago this "conversion" was done. For all practical purposes a conversion can only be done now in Bangkok although a few offices can accept applications for forwarding to Bangkok. The whole process takes 15 days.

I can only speak for Phuket which does conversions.

trd

Maybe you can provide links to recent reports of "conversions" being done in Phuket.

At one time they did do them, then they were stopped.

When did Phuket Immigration resume a "Conversion" service and how long does the process take ?

trd

Maybe you can provide links to recent reports of "conversions" being done in Phuket.

At one time they did do them, then they were stopped.

When did Phuket Immigration resume a "Conversion" service and how long does the process take ?

How long did it take to convert a 30 day entry stamp into a 3 month non "O". About two hours I seem to remember.

"My wife has not even got a problem with that as her GP is quite happy to issue it. Just mine is being a pain."

Why don't you use her doctor? Or you could ask the embassy for a list of doctors that would do the certificate.

You will be in for a monetary shock if you have to have the medical form issued privately and not from your GP. My GP also refused to sign the form on the grounds that the NHS should not be expected to conduct all the required blood work for a visa. (A fair point possibly)

My GP gave me the telephone of a private company and they quoted in excess of £500.00 pounds . I told them to forget it and went down the then multiple tourist visa route rather than the OA.

• 2 months later...

Hi RnG, I'm applying for a one year O visa and I'm only 53. It's better to have the one year for two reasons:

1. It's a multiple entry. The three month visa is a single entry visa.

2. If you leave Thailand for any reason, when you come back, you get another one year, so you can leave a few days before it expires and get a second year for no extra cost (well, cost of reentry permit)

3. You still have three monthly reporting whichever one you choose, but with the one year, you don't get smacked each quarter for an extension!

Let us know how you get on!

Hi RnG, I'm applying for a one year O visa and I'm only 53. It's better to have the one year for two reasons:

1. It's a multiple entry. The three month visa is a single entry visa.

2. If you leave Thailand for any reason, when you come back, you get another one year, so you can leave a few days before it expires and get a second year for no extra cost (well, cost of reentry permit)

3. You still have three monthly reporting whichever one you choose, but with the one year, you don't get smacked each quarter for an extension!

Let us know how you get on!

You seem to be confusing an O/A visa with an "O" visa.

An "O" visa only provides 90 day entries for the duration of its validity it does not provide a "second year" at no cost.

Yes, I'm wrong. I AM confusing the two.

On the French website http://www.thaiembassy.fr/fr/visa/visa-touristique/ you have a choice of "Visa Non-Immigrant O" and "Visa Non-Immigrant OA".

"Visa Non-Immigrant O" if you scroll down to number 4, you'll see... 4.Ayant plus de 50 ans. Underneath is written: Le Visa O est destiné aux personnes âgées de plus de 50 ans désirant vivre longtemps en Thaïlande

If you click on "Visa Non-Immigrant OA", it says, Le Visa OA est destiné aux personnes retraitées et âgées de plus de 50 ans, but the requirements are different and so is the price!

Sorry, I don't know how to attach stuff to this thingamybob as I can't see a paperclip which is why I've given the link. Sorry for my lack of computer skills.

Btw, I didn't say it was free to extend a one year visa. I said the opposite: specifically, that the advantage of a one year visa is that you don't have to pay every three months for an extension. Was I wrong again? Arrrrgh. Do I have to pay when I report - even on a one year visa?

I'll try and put this on my French posting if I can find the wretched thing again as lots of Brits and Americans here don't speak French well and it could help them. The O vs OA thing is easy to miss in your second or third language.

Edited by Seraphina

Just get a single entry Non O and convert it to retirement extension in Thailand.

Make sure you have the required income OR 800,000 in a Thai bank at least two months before applying for extension.

After that each year it has to be in the bank 3 months before applying.

you don't need to leave it in the bank all year if you don't want to.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm wrong. I AM confusing the two.

On the French website http://www.thaiembassy.fr/fr/visa/visa-touristique/ you have a choice of "Visa Non-Immigrant O" and "Visa Non-Immigrant OA".

"Visa Non-Immigrant O" if you scroll down to number 4, you'll see... 4.Ayant plus de 50 ans. Underneath is written: Le Visa O est destiné aux personnes âgées de plus de 50 ans désirant vivre longtemps en Thaïlande

If you click on "Visa Non-Immigrant OA", it says, Le Visa OA est destiné aux personnes retraitées et âgées de plus de 50 ans, but the requirements are different and so is the price!

Sorry, I don't know how to attach stuff to this thingamybob as I can't see a paperclip which is why I've given the link. Sorry for my lack of computer skills.

Btw, I didn't say it was free to extend a one year visa. I said the opposite: specifically, that the advantage of a one year visa is that you don't have to pay every three months for an extension. Was I wrong again? Arrrrgh. Do I have to pay when I report - even on a one year visa?

I'll try and put this on my French posting if I can find the wretched thing again as lots of Brits and Americans here don't speak French well and it could help them. The O vs OA thing is easy to miss in your second or third language.

A multiple entry non-o visa allows unlimited 90 entries for a year from the date of issue. You have to leave the country every 90 days to get a new entry.

A non-oa visa allows one year entries for a year from the date of issue. You do reports of staying longer than 90 days in the country to immigration they are not extensions and there is no charge for doing them.