DPM Prawit defends govt's charter proposal to pre-empt coups

webfact

DPM Prawit defends junta’s charter proposal to pre-empt coups

1603001-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan defended on Wednesday that the military junta’s proposal for the commanders of the three armed forces to be ex-officio senators intended to pre-empt possible coups.

He denied that the junta had put pressure on the Constitution Drafting Committee to incorporate its three proposed issues for constitutional amendments in the provisional chapter of the charter draft.

But he maintained that the CDC must come up with a good explanation if all or any of the three proposed issues are rejected.

The proposed issues include: an appointed Senate comprising 250 members to be in the office for five years during the transition period; five members of the military top brass and the national police chief are ex-officio senators; and the provision about political parties nominating candidates for the premiership should be put on hold during the transition period.

General Prawit insisted the proposal about outside candidate for the premiership’s post was not meant to pave the way for General Prayut Chan-ocha or himself to become the next prime minister.

CDC chairman Meechai Ruchupan, meanwhile, said that the CDC would take into consideration all proposals but whether any of them would be incorporated in the charter draft would depend on their necessities and not on who made the proposals.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/155448

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-17

Who's to say the junta and its successors in waiting won't keep citing 'national security and happiness' as reasons to retain their presence well into the future.

The junta should just be done with this sorry return to democracy sham and continue to run Thailand as a military dictatorship...

Pre-empt coups ! cheesy.gif

Not bad coming from a govt which is in office by virtue of a coup.

Anyway the way things work here no amount of legislation will prevent a military officer and his pals from deciding the nation would be better off with them running the show. Just think, somewhere in the ranks of the military there's an officer who ... !

Anyway the way things work here no amount of legislation will prevent a military officer and his pals from deciding the nation would be better off with them running the show. Just think, somewhere in the ranks of the military there's an officer who ... !

Exactly. Pre-empt coups against the current coup makers. With five year appointments of top brass to the Senate for the "transition period," it seems this lot plan to dig in for the long haul.

When Uncle Too retires from public life, will Thailand have an elected PM? If so, elected (or more aptly "selected") by whom?

I'm afraid the next PM will be the same package, just different wrapping.

Edited by docshock13

All this military involvement can be avoided if they simply used the Westminster system and the Thai military wont let that happen, any thing more said will place me in LM territory. The Thai military use the system to force their own influence over the population, another student/ peoples uprising would be needed to stamp this out. .............................................................coffee1.gif ...

Don't do as we do, do as we say.

Prawit must be feeling real clever giving that smart aleck explanation. He is treating the people like uneducated buffoon with his high handed condescending remark. Joke really on him as this legit coup that he proposed is all so obvious.

What can I say that hasn't been said already. In my view what is being proposed is a further backward step but to be honest will the ordinary Thai try to stop it? Having said that, the army probably had the reason for a coup offered to them on a gold plate in 2014 but I am not going to start an argument about the how's and why's of that issue. I respect other opinions here.

One thing I think we would agree on is that it is a mess.

The American expats must have got concerned about actions against their embassy and now I wonder if that might escalate to include other embassies. If that happened we would have a decision to make which in some cases that will be damned difficult because of building up a family. Even myself, I am contemplating a second Thai marriage and I am trying to avoid a decision until things become clear, one way or the other. I read a post yesterday on a completely different forum where it was thought that we might see 'refugees' heading for a country where things are also changing (I trust all will understand to which country I refer). I never thought that I would see such a comment in Thailand.

If 'that man' abroad really had his heart in the right place he would stay silent to protect Thai people. He must know that any message from him will just inflame the situation but probably we'll see another comment from him in the next few days.

I haven't deliberately written anything to upset anyone but really just my own concerns for the future. I have lost much here one way and another but through my own choices, yet I am sure there are many here who stand to lose much more than me and not by their own choice. I sincerely hope the situation improves and my concerns become unfounded.

A Suan Dusit Poll conducted in January 2016 found that only about 23% of respondents believe the 2016 draft constitution will be endorsed.

Recent communications on further proposals between the Four Rivers and the CDC may just drive a stake through the heart of any majority electoral support. It might be best for the Junta to simply proceed directly to endorsement with NLA majority approval and leave the Thai people out of the referendum process. It might be for their own safety.

For the Junta to allow a referendum based on the Four River's radicalization of the 2016 draft constitution may instigate further political conflict and violence. The very situations that the military claimed motivated the coup in the first place.

Edited by rickirs

What can I say that hasn't been said already. In my view what is being proposed is a further backward step but to be honest will the ordinary Thai try to stop it? Having said that, the army probably had the reason for a coup offered to them on a gold plate in 2014 but I am not going to start an argument about the how's and why's of that issue. I respect other opinions here.

The American expats must have got concerned about actions against their embassy and now I wonder if that might escalate to include other embassies. If that happened we would have a decision to make which in some cases that will be damned difficult because of building up a family. Even myself, I am contemplating a second Thai marriage and I am trying to avoid a decision until things become clear, one way or the other. I read a post yesterday on a completely different forum where it was thought that we might see 'refugees' heading for a country where things are also changing (I trust all will understand to which country I refer). I never thought that I would see such a comment in Thailand.

If 'that man' abroad really had his heart in the right place he would stay silent to protect Thai people. He must know that any message from him will just inflame the situation but probably we'll see another comment from him in the next few days.

I haven't deliberately written anything to upset anyone but really just my own concerns for the future. I have lost much here one way and another but through my own choices, yet I am sure there are many here who stand to lose much more than me and not by their own choice. I sincerely hope the situation improves and my concerns become unfounded.

"This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. This storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress."

— Walter Benjamin, “Theses on the Philosophy of History”

Don't blame "That man abroad" for what's happening here now. Sounds like you're saying that all will be fine and dandy as long as he stays silent. The present govt here have absolute power therefore it isn't possible for anyone else to influence what's happening. It's incredibly niaive of you to think otherwise.

The establishment has been unstoppable since 1932 whenever someone of anyone threaten their status quo. What they desire, they get through heir powerful institutions. All who dare stand in front of them have been mowed down, silence or fled to exile. Thaksin has only a small part role in this history of dominance. He foolishly thought he could change the status quo and was methodically taken down.

Don't blame "That man abroad" for what's happening here now. Sounds like you're saying that all will be fine and dandy as long as he stays silent. The present govt here have absolute power therefore it isn't possible for anyone else to influence what's happening. It's incredibly niaive of you to think otherwise.

Read between the lines. I didn blame Thaksin for anything simply talking of his silence at point would best. As I posted, I didn't want to argue about that and respected other views. Nor am I talking about the gov here, that is up to the Thai people. I am naive about nothing. My concern is for expats who can do one of two things and neither will affect this gov. Please read posts carefully before you start casting blame.

The establishment has been unstoppable since 1932 whenever someone of anyone threaten their status quo. What they desire, they get through heir powerful institutions. All who dare stand in front of them have been mowed down, silence or fled to exile. Thaksin has only a small part role in this history of dominance. He foolishly thought he could change the status quo and was methodically taken down.

I have no idea what Thaksin thought he could do, I didn't ask him.

Well, yes if you wish to take a deterministic point of view perhaps one might go back further than 1932. I mean why stop there! Blame the Dutch East India Company etc etc. for foreign trade that included arms. But my post doesn't put blame on anyone only saying that at present his messages only inflame. In the present situation perhaps some people place more importance on Thaksin while others will not. But if you read my post properly you would understand that I am speaking of expats and in particular, those from the west. What happens to Thai people is their concern since they have the right to choose but under which regime would expats be less worried? And I'm not suggesting anything here, I'm asking a genuine question. It for each of us to decide, in private perhaps, wouldn't want a decision to be inferred as blaming anyone, would we eh? Ha!

Edited by TKDfella

Well, yes if you wish to take a deterministic point of view perhaps one might go back further than 1932. I mean why stop there! Blame the Dutch East India Company etc etc. for foreign trade that included arms. But my post doesn't put blame on anyone only saying that at present his messages only inflame. In the present situation perhaps some people place more importance on Thaksin while others will not. But if you read my post properly you would understand that I am speaking of expats and in particular, those from the west. What happens to Thai people is their concern since they have the right to choose but under which regime would expats be less worried? And I'm not suggesting anything here, I'm asking a genuine question. It for each of us to decide, in private perhaps, wouldn't want a decision to be inferred as blaming anyone, would we eh? Ha!

You posted your comment in a publc forum and you should expect the public to comment. No reason to get upset if others have their opinion. I posted 1932 for a reason. If you don't see that significance, disregard that.

You posted your comment in a publc forum and you should expect the public to comment. No reason to get upset if others have their opinion. I posted 1932 for a reason. If you don't see that significance, disregard that.

Well aware of what happened in 1932 and it is you who are upset (note my 'Ha!'). And as I mentioned in original post I respect other views. You have totally missed my point. So read it and try again. Oh by the way, you didn't mention my genuine question. Any views on that?

He denied having put pressure on the CDC, yet claims they need to come up with a good explanation if they reject the proposals.

Here is to hoping they do reject all of the proposals, but not betting money on it.

Here is a possible explanation the CDC can use for rejection: "The citizenry can see through your thin facade that is only propped up by guns, graft, and caste-based oppression. It is 2016. The world has moved on. So should you and your kind. The Thai people yearn to be part of the world, not endentured servants to a temperamental master. Your game is up. Cash in your chips and history may cast a favourable light on your legacy. Stay in the game and things could turn sour quickly."

He denied having put pressure on the CDC, yet claims they need to come up with a good explanation if they reject the proposals.

Here is to hoping they do reject all of the proposals, but not betting money on it.

Here is a possible explanation the CDC can use for rejection: "The citizenry can see through your thin facade that is only propped up by guns, graft, and caste-based oppression. It is 2016. The world has moved on. So should you and your kind. The Thai people yearn to be part of the world, not endentured servants to a temperamental master. Your game is up. Cash in your chips and history may cast a favourable light on your legacy. Stay in the game and things could turn sour quickly."

'The Thai people yearn to be part of the world,...', yes nice way to put it. Certainly from my Thai students perspective that would be true. However, I have no way of knowing if they are just a 'special case' or representative of how the next generation are really thinking.