Come! Tell us true! Likes and Dislikes in Thailand

laolover88

I like the subtle competition in posts about how long people have lived in Thailand, even people who have never even visited often start by saying, "I've been living here since ...", the record as I recall is fifty years although I'm sure there 's someone who can/will beat that - for the avoidance of doubt, I've lived here for seventy three years and four months and I'm only sixty six!

I must apologise for correcting you, however I think you'll find that you've been there since 1296, officially.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than anything, I love where I live. Beautiful, quiet, peaceful, lots of wildlife (although I could do without the centipedes...), dogs can run around to their hearts' content - you get the picture smile.png .

Additionally, I love that if I smile - its more than likely I'll get a smile back, rather than the confused/wary look we get back at home.

Obviously, there are things I dislike and, more than anything, I hate the way that we are ever less welcome here. Immigration has become a dreaded 'trip' because it's impossible to know what they'll require this time - and whatever they 'require', they'll likely ask for more.....

Another dislike is that too often when I'm truly pleased with a job well done and therefore generous, this is taken advantage of and used as a base point next time I use their services. (No, I'm not talking about bar girls, I'm talking about electricians/plumbers etc.). M'y current plumber/odd job man not only has increased his prices to my 'gratitude' prices, but also asks for a glass (or 2) of wine/cigarettes etc... I wouldn't mind if he charged his original prices!

I'm not keen on the frequent 'tea money' road blocks either. They should spend their time looking for those that are driving dangerously and extract money from them rather than stopping all scooter drivers for no reason at all. Weird how its never cars.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the clarity and precision of dealing with Thai trades people - true story from last week:

Yes we can expand the bore of your well from 3 to 4 inches and from 14 to 20 metres;

The cost will be 5,000 baht;

Later:

Well no we can't expand the bore, that needs a bigger machine;

The new cost is 7,000 baht;

Later:

Actually you're down to rock already so 14 metres is the maximum;

Later;

But we can drill you a new well to 20 metres but only at a 3 inch bore;

The cost will be 20,000 baht;

Later:

No we can't extend the existing well because you're already at the rock layer;

It you want we can drill a 4 inch bore but the price increases to 25,000 baht;

No, not possible to widen the exiting bore, needs a different machine and no have.

We can start drilling the new well, 4 inch to 20 metres, tomorrow.

Tell me about it - I've obviously been classed as a fool because I was generous to those who did a sort of good job - and thereafter (most) expect a lot more next time sad.png . This is one of my major dislikes about living here.

The driving seems to be getting worse too, but only some days blink.png - v odd.

Dislike - Just backpackers and Chinese Motorcycle drivers. Went out last night with my partner. I always dress in a long sleeve shirt, fitting long pants and shoes. Went to a bar and we had several backpackers shotgunning Chang beer tins in the 7/11 in front of us and thumping their chest like gorillas in mating season. A couple of bra-less farang girls were with them, wearing singlets and looking very unkempt. They all had not bathed it seems for days, had dirty 'man buns' and my partner pointed, saying look at their feet. They had no shoes on and their feet were black.

I come from the area near Byron Bay in Australia and am use to 'alternative people.' It seems in so many cases here that these type of individuals just let themselves go just because they are in Thailand or SEA.

Like: Just about everything else here. Food, girls, drink the landscape of the place, beaches and the people.

Dislike - Just backpackers and Chinese Motorcycle drivers. Went out last night with my partner. I always dress in a long sleeve shirt, fitting long pants and shoes. Went to a bar and we had several backpackers shotgunning Chang beer tins in the 7/11 in front of us and thumping their chest like gorillas in mating season. A couple of bra-less farang girls were with them, wearing singlets and looking very unkempt. They all had not bathed it seems for days, had dirty 'man buns' and my partner pointed, saying look at their feet. They had no shoes on and their feet were black.

I come from the area near Byron Bay in Australia and am use to 'alternative people.' It seems in so many cases here that these type of individuals just let themselves go just because they are in Thailand or SEA.

Like: Just about everything else here. Food, girls, drink the landscape of the place, beaches and the people.

Weird - living on Phuket I haven't seen anything like you describe blink.png .

Please let us know where you live (and the location of the bar), so that we can all avoid the area.

Please let us know where you live (and the location of the bar), so that we can all avoid the area.

Chiang Mai. We were near the UN Irish Club on Ratvithi Road. Zoe's Bar is not far away but recently, have seen more of and influx like this. Sure does not worry me much but my partner was so grossed out on their feet. They all like shotgunned three beers each on the main road and the Thais going in an out of 7-11 gave them dirty stares.

I am sure no prude but actions like this just don't make us farang look good at all.

Like; climate food,cost of living, . Thai football. Thai spa's. Shopping Malls.

Dislikes; Redneck westerners, esp ones that call themselves 'farangs'. Nationalism. Poverty. Bangkok Traffic management. Thais that adore the english premier league but havnt a clue about Thai football. The legal inequalities Thai hi so exploit .

Bangkoks Sky train. Duel pricing.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

Dislikes; Redneck westerners, esp ones that call themselves 'farangs'. Nationalism. Poverty. Bangkok Traffic management. Thais that adore the english premier league but havnt a clue about Thai football. The legal inequalities Thai hi so exploit .

whats wrong with the skytrain?

whats wrong with the skytrain?

There's no dining carriage.

Like: Chiang Mai Flower Market

Like: Phu Ruea

Dislike: Everything to do with the Thai education system

Dislike: That even my totally Thai step-daughter's teenage friends are not allowed by their parents to come to the house to hang out with her. Why? Not family! But they can all sit in the dirt at the roadside outside school til all hours of the night.

Errrr...maybe they think you are a little.....errmmmmm

Got a couple more!

Like: The birds in our garden. Bee Eaters, Hoopoes, Herons, Egrets, Magpie Robins, Sunbirds, Fantails and enough brawling sparrows to make Yeats happy.

Dislike: Those pickup trucks with million decibel sound systems that drive around at 5kph advertising rubbish.

Good mix of birds....you live near the beach and jungle?

i dislike changing twice a year the tires of my cars, summer to winter and winter to summer tires. it's a big hassle! bah.gif

why would you change tyres?

I've lived in the tropics all my life...wet season...dry season....never seen any reason to change tyres.....except if they are bald.

• 3 weeks later...

Chiang Mai. We were near the UN Irish Club on Ratvithi Road. Zoe's Bar is not far away but recently, have seen more of and influx like this. Sure does not worry me much but my partner was so grossed out on their feet. They all like shotgunned three beers each on the main road and the Thais going in an out of 7-11 gave them dirty stares.

I am sure no prude but actions like this just don't make us farang look good at all.

Ha Ha . I was outside 7.11 on Ratchaviti road second day of Songkhran and I saw "backpackers" shotgunning beer from Chang tins. Made me laugh as I had not even thought about anybody doing that for years. Was wondering if they would bring out a beer bong next?

• 2 months later...

i dislike changing twice a year the tires of my cars, summer to winter and winter to summer tires. it's a big hassle! bah.gif

why would you change tyres?

I've lived in the tropics all my life...wet season...dry season....never seen any reason to change tyres.....except if they are bald.

you use normal tires when there is ice ans snow covering the roads in Thai winters? w00t.gif