Thai language course

Cpkt8

I have mostly heard complaints about language schools - - I did meet a young fellow once and his Thai was limited but ok - and he had taken a 6 month course at AUA... I did actually buy their books to fill in some holes in my language and think they are pretty good...

Sorry I have not heard of this course and cannot answer your question directly, but hope this helps. Much depends on the individual teacher as well as the lesson plan.

Learning the language is the single most helpful thing you can do for yourself. Even if you just learn a little, every little bit helps.

Good luck.

I have mostly heard complaints about language schools - - I did meet a young fellow once and his Thai was limited but ok - and he had taken a 6 month course at AUA... I did actually buy their books to fill in some holes in my language and think they are pretty good...

Sorry I have not heard of this course and cannot answer your question directly, but hope this helps. Much depends on the individual teacher as well as the lesson plan.

Learning the language is the single most helpful thing you can do for yourself. Even if you just learn a little, every little bit helps.

Good luck.

when I first got here in 3 days I was enrolled at AUA. It was the beginners class. I was in a room with 10 others all had either lived here for a year or already taken the course and this was their second time through it.

To top it all off it was at first learning the vowels. So far so good. Then it turned into a course In grammar in a language I could not speak. There was a few words taught so you could learn specific grammar but nothing about where to use the words.

I got a private teacher after that and did much better. No help there with an education visa.

I talked with the people on the fourth floor at Pantip and for 250 baht an hour they had a private teacher. I did not ask about the visa as I have a retirement one. Just wanting to improve what little I know.

Anyone had tried the Thai language course offers by CMU? Any feedback?

I'm trying to find a school that is located nearer to my home if possible. Pantip plaza is abit too far for me.

Is there any good online courses? Mainly for reading and writing.

Best online courses I would say are

thaipod101

Learn Thai Podcast

high Speed Thai ( I am not to familiar with this one but some use it)

I am a member of Thaipod101 and Learn Thai Podcast. Most of the lessons have both thai writing and phonetics I believe both have some courses on reading and writing too

I got some review links if you PM me

Anyone had tried the Thai language course offers by CMU? Any feedback?

I'm trying to find a school that is located nearer to my home if possible. Pantip plaza is abit too far for me.

I looked into it it once, it really is for the person just getting started as they start with day one, they also introduce some cultural learning such as cooking, dancing , day trips I have heard

Pro Language is close to Maya Shopping mall on Nimmnan Road might be a option for you if you are looking for closer, there is also Talk Talk Language school behind Nimmnan but not sure if they are any good,

when I checked them out they were full for their classes at the time

Just checked:

CMU Thai course: 30,000 baht/216 hrs

Mon & Wed, 3hrs per day.

Start on 25/4.

Pro Language: 27,900 baht/180 hrs

2 days/wk, 2 hrs per day.

At this moment they cannot confirm exact day & time for class yet, but it's after Songkran.

If you're the one, who will you choose?[emoji3]

Just checked:

CMU Thai course: 30,000 baht/216 hrs

Mon & Wed, 3hrs per day.

Start on 25/4.

Pro Language: 27,900 baht/180 hrs

2 days/wk, 2 hrs per day.

At this moment they cannot confirm exact day & time for class yet, but it's after Songkran.

If you're the one, who will you choose?[emoji3]

I think CMU might be better for reading, while Pro good for conversation. I don't think you can go wrong with ANY course, since very cheap and it's up to YOU to study at night as well. If not happy, get private tutors, etc....and then in a few months try another place.

I used AUA for about a year and would rate them 89/100. easier for an older farang, the teachers were amazingly motivated, classes small, etc.....i didn't learn to read or write, so i bought books and learned a ton that way. they have a good course on reading and writing, and i will take it when i return. but if not available, i would go to CMU for reading and writing.

my 1.5 cents

I haven't read all the replies, so forgive me if someone else has said this same basic thing:

It all depends on YOU, and whether you want to be a fluent speaker or just sort of get along in the stores, markets, and restaurants.

I've gone to the YMCA and AUA. Both have strong points. But you have to be serious about it, which means you have to STUDY, STUDY, STUDY! This is true if you want to learn in depth, or not so much... (The Chinese, Korean, and Japanese students were always the best ones in all these classes, because they studied).

(BTW, don't know from experience anything about Pantip or the others).

If you are serious about learning, price shouldn't be the first criteria. If it is, you are going to study in a large group with other students who are price conscious, with a teacher who is probably paid below the market rate and in facilities that are not well-maintained. Go for small group study if you want to improve quickly.

• 1 year later...

" We Learn Thai Chiang Mai " i have bad experience here...
They are doing well in pretty female teacher marketing. But i feel they are not prepare well in teaching Thai language.

Especially they never start the high level course... They always said that not enough students. I just want to said this to everyone who saw this post.

*If you want to study Thai language. I really not recommend here.

*If you want to apply ED visa here, please be prepare that they not doing well on your ED visa document and that waste my time also. Because you need go to immigration before sunrise (Promenada) and line and then.... officer said...document wrong !!  then go back to revise your document....and.... you just waste a day. Fxxx...
*If you still want to study here, yes... do not apply long tern course... just 15 days or 1 month is enough. Good for you to practice Thai language here.

Take away recommend.... You should go to check AUA ,CMU International center or Walen Language center in Chiang mai.