Driving a manual in Bangkok

Hi, I want to know if it's worth it to drive a manual in Bangkok?

I'm looking around for a second hand car and there are very good deals on manual transmission cars.

But would it wear out the clutch too quick if I use it in Bangkok?

I don't care if it's too much of a chore, I'm just worried I'll have to replace the clutch too soon

Almost the only new (not 'classics') manual cars sold in Thailand are Toyotas for use as a taxi - by the time they're up for sale a worn out clutch would be just one item in a long list of worn out parts... (unless you're looking at a pickup)

What models have you seen?

Edited by coops

I have a manual mitsubishi lancer and I drive in BKK often enough, had it about a year now and the clutch is just fine, light and easy to drive in all conditions, but I have had manual cars all my life and know how do drive them.

replacing a worn out clutch is way cheaper than replacing a knacked auto box

mostly in the UK ppl primarly use manual cars in and out of the city so don't see why a clutch would wear out any quicker in LOS unless the car was being driven by someone inexperanced with a manual car eg they were riding the clutch etc

Almost the only new (not 'classics') manual cars sold in Thailand are Toyotas for use as a taxi - by the time they're up for sale a worn out clutch would be just one item in a long list of worn out parts... (unless you're looking at a pickup)

Chevrolet Cruze and Nissan Sylphy. Both 2014, found them on a thai website for around 400,000 baht, the automatic models are going for 600,000+ for the same year and engine size.

Found a Chevy Cruze 2014, 1.6, 6 speed manual going for 380,000 and the website states it has under 10,000 KM.

Well I'm sure the Cruze and Sylphy were never Taxi meters at least biggrin.png

I have a manual mitsubishi lancer and I drive in BKK often enough, had it about a year now and the clutch is just fine, light and easy to drive in all conditions, but I have had manual cars all my life and know how do drive them.

replacing a worn out clutch is way cheaper than replacing a knacked auto box

mostly in the UK ppl primarly use manual cars in and out of the city so don't see why a clutch would wear out any quicker in LOS unless the car was being driven by someone inexperanced with a manual car eg they were riding the clutch etc

Thanks for the reply smile.png

The clutch of my Opel Astra lasted about 170,000 km until I had to replace it. Not all in Bangkok, but a lot in hilly regions (Phuket) with a healthy portion of stop-and-go thrown into it. If you know how to handle a clutch, it is no problem. I even managed to teach some Thais how to do it....

I had a Automatic merc from the 90's that did over 200,000 miles.... and the Gear box never failed. There are examples of old merc taxis in germany doing a million Kilometres and the Gear box not failing.

The UK lives in "manual" gear box world. I have heard all manner of crap from car salesmen about Auto gear boxes in the UK. Not fuel efficient, break down all the time, need oil changes all the time, hard to maintain, very expensive to replace...storks build nests in them....on and on they waffle. The clincher is "manauls are for real drivers"....Tosh.

I had several manual Fords over the years and I knew that no matter how carefully you drive the clutch wore out between 50,000 and 70,000 miles. Then you get people who ride the clutch and have to get them replaced every 30,000 miles....strangley this means going back to the garage/sales people and paying money ....!!!!

Wife of a friend of mine wore a clutch out about every 10,000 miles on a VW Golf and he just thought Golfs were crap - until I told him to ask his wife is she had her foot on the clutch all the time.....you can imagine how angry he was when she said, "Yes, why?".

Could that be the real reason behind Manual cars in the UK....I am surprised the scammers here have not conttoned on to having the car come back to get the clutch changed every couple of years....

Edited by lonewolf99

Another manual vs. auto thread, season is high biggrin.png

I could have some understanding for using manual here in upcountry where I sometimes drive 30 km or so without even touching the break.

But in the clogged/deadlocked cities? No way!

Manual cars are also less well specced than the equivalent auto. My auto civic has nearly 240k kms on it with no issues. Even in nonthaburi 10 years ago my manual honda city was a real drag. Id only get a manual now if i lived in the sticks.

I'd be less worried about worn clutch, and more worried about your left leg muscles growing to twice the size of the right ones in BKK traffic tongue.png

And a nice neuritis in the "gearbox arm" as I had in my younger manual age.

Clutch - if used properly - should last the life of the engine.

The engine in the 1989 Toyota pickup I had in the US lasted 700,000 miles (1126540 km) before I sold the truck. I had to replace the clutch (normal highway driving) 4 times during that period.

Chevrolet Cruze and Nissan Sylphy. Both 2014, found them on a thai website for around 400,000 baht, the automatic models are going for 600,000+ for the same year and engine size.

Found a Chevy Cruze 2014, 1.6, 6 speed manual going for 380,000 and the website states it has under 10,000 KM.

Well I'm sure the Cruze and Sylphy were never Taxi meters at least biggrin.png

Sylphys are not uncommon as taxis, been in them a couple of times in Bangkok.

Once your stuck in a traffic jam, and the cars are slowly creeping forward, you will wish you had an automatic. I sold my car because of it.

Even when I'm on my big bike, my hand gets tired sometimes in traffic from the clutch.

Another manual vs. auto thread, season is high biggrin.png

I could have some understanding for using manual here in upcountry where I sometimes drive 30 km or so without even touching the break.

But in the clogged/deadlocked cities? No way!

Why no way?

30 km or 500 m its not important if you can use manual.

I'd be less worried about worn clutch, and more worried about your left leg muscles growing to twice the size of the right ones in BKK traffic :P

In BBK traffic less than Bejin or MoscoW. But i know guy who change X5M

For manual in Moscow;)

And bot any problem. 3 year ago I am too want change auto to manula in X5M

:).

IN Bangkok Just dangerest becouse so many drive with out any rules.

But its nothing about trans.

Ps

Why worry left leg? Its so bad car?

I had a Automatic merc from the 90's that did over 200,000 miles.... and the Gear box never failed. There are examples of old merc taxis in germany doing a million Kilometres and the Gear box not failing.

The UK lives in "manual" gear box world. I have heard all manner of crap from car salesmen about Auto gear boxes in the UK. Not fuel efficient, break down all the time, need oil changes all the time, hard to maintain, very expensive to replace...storks build nests in them....on and on they waffle. The clincher is "manauls are for real drivers"....Tosh.

I had several manual Fords over the years and I knew that no matter how carefully you drive the clutch wore out between 50,000 and 70,000 miles. Then you get people who ride the clutch and have to get them replaced every 30,000 miles....strangley this means going back to the garage/sales people and paying money ....!!!!

Wife of a friend of mine wore a clutch out about every 10,000 miles on a VW Golf and he just thought Golfs were crap - until I told him to ask his wife is she had her foot on the clutch all the time.....you can imagine how angry he was when she said, "Yes, why?".

Could that be the real reason behind Manual cars in the UK....I am surprised the scammers here have not conttoned on to having the car come back to get the clutch changed every couple of years....

Ha ha. I have merc 500k km manual trans no problame.

And cluch replace only 2 time and once change.

300 km my bro ride(not drive :) ) in Moscow.

Manual no problem cluch 3 time raplace one change.

If you can not drive you can kill car even 1k km.

And:

1.manual its when you buy already chepest 1000-1500$(new) and some times much more cheapest in some market(as Thailand) in secondhand

2. Cluch change its more cheaper than change auto trans. Even no evry time need change only can replace.

And lust.

As example 10 year ago in one dealer have Toyota prado 120 more when 20 car(half party come from factory) auto trans die before 5k km.

So problem can get any tras but manual its still cheap and easy fixed.

Its as buy sipmle pick up or jap car(as toyota) in Thailand. Can change evry where and fast cluch.

An CHEAP...

Edited by ardokano