Pattaya Songran Festival

thaimee

what's up, right now i'm in carrefour. cowardly act of staying away from the revellers who throw buckets upon buckets of water on passers by. sorry not for me! i believe they have a ban on anyone throwing water after 6pm to 6 am. so thank heaven for the water shortage. let's see when i leave this evening. safe driving..

Thaimee.

I have been hibernating since the madness started -

it was on the 6th on our estate here.

Thank God today is the last day.

I hate wearing rubber all the time to keep dry,

though I suspect a few will have enjoyed it............? :o

My place overlooks Sunnee Plaza. Last night (Sunday) I went out to get a bite to eat and watch Newcastle on the box. Got soaked going out and coming back (7.30 and 10.00 at night) The party never stopped - all night and when I left for work this morning at 6.00 there were at least thirty people of various genders slinging water at all comers.

Also around Sois 7 & 8 there were battles that looked as if they were the end of a night's work, and on Sae Saam, from Pattaya Klang to Pattaya Nua there were various groups busy. (Almost all Thai's, much too early fro drunken farang participation)

All good reasons to get out of Dodge and part of the reason I choose to live upcountry. We are not free of the frivolous but for sure it has a level of the real Songkrans attached to it's administration here.

Yesterday I was going in for a bite and a few but already on Pattaya Tai just after 3rd road they were having fun so I turned around and went home instead. Another small loss for the business in Pattaya. Not that I suggest they care the slightest about losing one customer, but perhaps if enough of us do it they get the message. Who knows (or cares).

PS. This is not a complain, just a vote .... with my wallet. Incidentially it could be interesting to hear what economical impact, if any, songkran has on the local businesses ... davethailand?

(edited by Up2U)

PS. This is not a complain, just a vote .... with my wallet. Incidentially it could be interesting to hear what economical impact, if any, songkran has on the local businesses ... davethailand?

Outside DT's place on Sunday evening was a ginger-haired Thai with a barrel-full of water, spraying the passers-by. This was early evening, but right in DT's doorway.

• 2 weeks later...

first time for songkran but many years visiting thailand. what i LIKED about it was the absence of violent confrontations. have a festival like this in oz and you wouldnt be able to move for the punchups. spent five hours wandering pattaya on foot (soaking wet) on the last day and never saw one argument.

first time for songkran but many years visiting thailand. what i LIKED about it was the absence of violent confrontations. have a festival like this in oz and you wouldnt be able to move for the punchups. spent five hours wandering pattaya on foot (soaking wet) on the last day and never saw one argument.

Hey Biggles are you late for this years Songkran or early for next years ? :o

just got back from this years. only just joined forum as a member

Welcome to the forum. I was only having a joke with you. :o

watch out for the Doc biggles...

Welcome mate.

Well, I would not describe it as "lack" of violence. Saw the Thai's have one of the worst fight's I've seen in years. A mob was beating on a single guy, ran him into a vendor stand, when he pulled himself out of the grill he came out with a fistful of skewered chicken sticks and stabbed them threw the guys face.....real mess.

Also a buddy from work was on the sidewalk around 9P.M. and a guy leaned out from a pickup and smashed a beer bottle to the back of his head. When he got out of the hospital later that night he told us it was minor compared to the things he saw at the E.R.

Anyway, crazy is more like I'd describe, and it's just inevitable when such a crowd is shitfaced I suppose.

Doesn't it have something to do with the fact that more than a tiny fraction of the Pattaya tourist population (including Thai tourists) are there with the major goal of being absolutely shitfaced... and in these people's minds, getting shitfaced goes with picking a fight like bangers go with mash?

Chiang Mai Songkran was great.

• 6 years later...

"i believe they have a ban on anyone throwing water after 6pm to 6 am. so thank heaven for the water shortage. let's see when i leave this evening. safe driving.."

They had a ban from 6pm to 6am in 2004 due to water shortage. That would have been a good Songkran year.