decent non corrupt lawyer in pattaya .......or is that too much to ask ?

dirtycash

Magna Carta by far the best, Pattyaa tai just past third road

Why are they (by far) the best? How about their charges?... which is a very important consideration.

Have you tried a lot of different lawyers?

I've been looking around for lawyers too. One firm required a deposit of 80,000 baht upon signing up for services, just to get started. Hourly rates were from 3000 to 6000 per hour depending upon seniority.

What does a day in court cost here?

i have a thai lawyer in naklua just past faitex complex. paid him 4000 baht to make a will and to take care of my condo contract. is it best have a thai lawyer ( i think so ) or an english lawyr as in soi 15 - UK LAW on pattaya 3rd road ?

i have a thai lawyer in naklua just past faitex complex. paid him 4000 baht to make a will and to take care of my condo contract. is it best have a thai lawyer ( i think so ) or an english lawyr as in soi 15 - UK LAW on pattaya 3rd road ?

What do you want the lawyer for? Legalization of documents or litigation? Your request for a 'non corrupt' one would indicate the latter. If you have already used one for your will and condo contract and were happy with cost and work, why don't you ask him? If he doesn't specialize in what you need a lawyer for, I am pretty sure that he could recommend one that can.

Many have recommended Magna Carta but you are seeking an opinion on UK Law on Third? Why? Is it within walking distance? What's your over riding criteria; convenience, cost or actual ability?

What do you want the lawyer for? Legalization of documents or litigation? Your request for a 'non corrupt' one would indicate the latter. If you have already used one for your will and condo contract and were happy with cost and work, why don't you ask him? If he doesn't specialize in what you need a lawyer for, I am pretty sure that he could recommend one that can.

Many have recommended Magna Carta but you are seeking an opinion on UK Law on Third? Why? Is it within walking distance? What's your over riding criteria; convenience, cost or actual ability?

IMO this thread and similar are among the most important on this forum...

I agree with Dirtycash that we all should have a Thai lawyer to call. Who you going to call is a big consideration and us expats should help each other out here. You never know when some shit is going down and you need legal assistance. If you behave yourself and are lucky, you can live in peace here for a long time, but it doesn't take long for Thais to get nasty if they perceive some "wrongdoing" on your part... and by wrongdoing I'm talking about subtle, seemingly insignificant actions. They are extremely xenophobic and it doesn't take much to stoke the fire.

It's good to have a lawyer on speed dial who knows your name... After spending about 15 hours at the Soi 9 police station over the last 3 months I can tell you they are not interested in helping anyone... so save yourself the frustration and don't bother unless it is absolutely necessary.

I signed power of attorney and paid a lawyer yesterday to start a criminal case in court. It will take about 6 weeks for the summons to be served on the defendant. I won't say anything just yet as we all know this is a gamble. If I'm successful in about 3 - 6 months I will report back with a glowing recommendation. If I am unsuccessful or not happy with services, I won't say a thing.biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

IMO this thread and similar are among the most important on this forum...

I agree with Dirtycash that we all should have a Thai lawyer to call. Who you going to call is a big consideration and us expats should help each other out here. You never know when some shit is going down and you need legal assistance. If you behave yourself and are lucky, you can live in peace here for a long time, but it doesn't take long for Thais to get nasty if they perceive some "wrongdoing" on your part... and by wrongdoing I'm talking about subtle, seemingly insignificant actions. They are extremely xenophobic and it doesn't take much to stoke the fire.

It's good to have a lawyer on speed dial who knows your name... After spending about 15 hours at the Soi 9 police station over the last 3 months I can tell you they are not interested in helping anyone... so save yourself the frustration and don't bother unless it is absolutely necessary.

I signed power of attorney and paid a lawyer yesterday to start a criminal case in court. It will take about 6 weeks for the summons to be served on the defendant. I won't say anything just yet as we all know this is a gamble. If I'm successful in about 3 - 6 months I will report back with a glowing recommendation. If I am unsuccessful or not happy with services, I won't say a thing.biggrin.png

How much did you pay for a lawyer to start the case for you and what will be further fees (court appearances etc)? I need to do the same due to fraud but would not want to spend more that I have been defrauded (although sorely tempted).

Being here for as long as I have I have delt with my fair share of them. When you get a good one it is best to stay in contact. Just know that not all people calling themselves lawyers here can argue in court. The ones that cant subcontract the work out and that causes the cost to go up for you. Its also good to have one with a Bar Number that shows they have been at it for awhile. Mine always looks at the other sides number and knows if the guy is a newbie or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Best of luck. Details or rather not?

Thanks! Criminal defamation.

Yeah, to the thais it's enough to say publicly you don't like a guy to defame someone.

There's a lot more to it than that. This is not a trivial matter.

• 9 months later...
On 3/23/2016 at 0:51 PM, JESSVANPELT said:

Magna Carta by far the best, Pattyaa tai just past third road

How do you know they are the best? How many have you tried? Many firms claim to be the best. What about DMC Inter Law behind Tukcom?

On 25.3.2016 at 5:26 AM, Hel123 said:

Pensit and Laws H.O. Is in Bangkok but they have a satellite office in Jontiem - Very professional and sensible charge out rates.

Pensit und Laws is the only lawyer I had/have contact with, I can recommend (for real estate business, not available for acting in court).

I was not impressed with Magna Carta.

Archived