Deaths caused by reckless driving in Thailand again raise issue of 'double standards'

webfact

Deaths caused by reckless driving in Thailand again raise issue of ‘double standards’
by James Austin Farrell

BANGKOK: -- JUSTICE in Thailand in the eyes of many Thai people can seem to have a protean value. It seems this value can often be equated to the wealth and power of whom it serves. This is widely acknowledged in a country whose civilians accept corruption to be a part of everyday life.

A learned helplessness hangs over most Thai citizens, to the point that social progress is held in less esteem than getting ahead on your own terms, even if that involves being corrupt. It’s well-known – the Bangkok Post gives some examples here – that with enough money one can mold his own kind of justice in Thailand.

Without wealth, the justice system can often be a very unpleasant place to navigate if you should find yourself unfortunate enough to be caught up in it.

Full story: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/03/deaths-caused-by-reckless-driving-in-thailand-again-raise-issue-of-double-standards/

-- ASIAN CORRESPONDENT 2016-03-23

I like Asian correspondent, they run as close to the bone as any Asian outlet on a range of issues. Good article.

on the topic at hand. The double standards are as clear as day, and they are allowed to stand ONLY because those who are positioned to physically change them choose not to. We can only guess why vested interests, personal enrichment, cronyism etc etc

It is a national disgrace. And poignantly the BP did an article about how the evidence in the mushroom pickers case was strongly suspected to have been fabricated by local influential figures in Kalasin.

I would think that by now the Benz driver's goose is cooked. He will get convicted but will flee before incarceration. Something which again is a double standard, Thai and foreign criminals are both flight risks, however foreigners are the only ones who must surrender their passports while its Thai nationals who seem to have form for actually fleeing.

All in all, appalling show

I like Asian correspondent, they run as close to the bone as any Asian outlet on a range of issues. Good article.

on the topic at hand. The double standards are as clear as day, and they are allowed to stand ONLY because those who are positioned to physically change them choose not to. We can only guess why vested interests, personal enrichment, cronyism etc etc

It is a national disgrace. And poignantly the BP did an article about how the evidence in the mushroom pickers case was strongly suspected to have been fabricated by local influential figures in Kalasin.

I would think that by now the Benz driver's goose is cooked. He will get convicted but will flee before incarceration. Something which again is a double standard, Thai and foreign criminals are both flight risks, however foreigners are the only ones who must surrender their passports while its Thai nationals who seem to have form for actually fleeing.

All in all, appalling show

Yes that is a good article that makes some very good points.

As far as hierarchies go it is perhaps worthwhile noting, as the article points out, that the "lowly" Thai truck driver who, driving dangerously killed 2 Britiish cyclists, effectively "walked", ("fined around $30", suspended sentence).

As did the driver who similarly killed the Chilean cyclist and injured his Singaporean wife, (7,500 baht fine, suspended sentence).

One issue raised by the examples, both in the article and in the comments above, is the apparent absence of any value placed on human lives here. One only need watch that YouTube crash compilation that someone posted a few weeks ago to this truth in its stark awfulness.

The number of times someone crashed in the video, and lay there motionless while dozens of fellow humans simply drove past was more shocking than the accidents themselves.

I think some of it is a prevailing attitude that killing someone on the road is an "accident".

I don't know how many times I've tried to impress on my wife that when something terrible happens on the road it is not an "accident".

It is usually someone acting like a goddamn idiot.

Three times in a one hour drive I had to slam on the brakes as I was about to pass a slow moving truck on a busy highway because some moron was storming up the left lane so he could cut in front of me to gain that one car advantage.

I have no doubt that having made up their minds they were coming in regardless of how little room they had or how much danger it posed.

Fortunately, I was taught at very young age to constantly check my mirrors. But there was absolutely no reason in the world for me to have to do it here except experience has shown me that you are as likely to be killed by some idiot behind you as anything in front of you here.

Sickening!

No hope for the families who lost there loved one but when money come in to play they take the money because they are poor but i do not understand why they do not charge them with murder. Third world country still and nothing will change!

Sickening!

No hope for the families who lost there loved one but when money come in to play they take the money because they are poor but i do not understand why they do not charge them with murder. Third world country still and nothing will change!

Just had one of those "bang your head on the wall" talks with my beloved.

Basically she says, they give enough money and they can walk because the dead aren't coming back.

I said ok, Tell the courts to reduce the sentence marginally if they pay some compensation.

Didn't work.

So I the I tried this. The offender kills our daughter, pays us off with money. I kill him and give the money back to his family.

Everybody even now.

At least she's thinking :-)

As far as hierarchies go it is perhaps worthwhile noting, as the article points out, that the "lowly" Thai truck driver who, driving dangerously killed 2 Britiish cyclists, effectively "walked", ("fined around $30", suspended sentence).

As did the driver who similarly killed the Chilean cyclist and injured his Singaporean wife, (7,500 baht fine, suspended sentence).

"Thai truck driver " NO , pickup driver as the other who killed the chilean cyclist .

I think, it's my point of view, that many death accidents here in Thailand should be avoidable if driving people knew elementary courtesy rules and elementary active and passive safety concepts ;

I'm often driving my pickup everywhere in Thailand, from where I live in Issan, Sakon Nakhon province to everywhere in Thailand, burma borders in Kanchanaburi or Chiang Rai provinces or going to the south to Khanom , visiting a brother in law ; which is not a truck as thai people believe, even it's 1,700 kg empty and can be loaded with 1,000 kg ;

This pickup is 6 years old , more than 120,000 km and if you look at it you can believe it's a new one ;

I cycle also many kilometers , about 15,000 a year, also everywhere in Thailand since many years;

I touch wood ! I saw many accidents and shot photos of the vehicles but about me, nothing because

I respect the distances between my pickup and other vehicles;

I never want to race with other vehicles,

I know how to downhill a mountain whitout using the brakes or a few

and I stop every 3 or 4 hours for a little rest ...

Of course I don't drink , I never drink alcool since a long time now and I don't smoke ; and I never use my phone when driving .

Corruption is a fact of life in every country - especially developing ones like Thailand. The difference being that western countries are better at sweeping it under the rug.

Good example is the US banking crisis which almost collapsed the global economy. Plenty of corrupt politicians and financiers were involved and none have been prosecuted to this day.

Corruption is a fact of life in every country - especially developing ones like Thailand. The difference being that western countries are better at sweeping it under the rug.

Good example is the US banking crisis which almost collapsed the global economy. Plenty of corrupt politicians and financiers were involved and none have been prosecuted to this day.

Do you HAVE to try to justify everything with "this is a developing country".

The US banking crisis has absolutely squat to do with the carnage on the roads here and the fact that killing people with a vehicle is apparently quite ok.

I'll give you this..rich people tend to walk more than poor people everywhere.

Does that make it right? No.

But when money can buy your way out of wantonly taking a human life, this cannot be justified in any society.

The article points out the difference that social media makes today that did not exist even 10 years ago. It shines a bright light on Government institutions that are not doing the job their existence demands and on the pervasive corruption. Finally, the technology has the power of communication and the ability to create a consensus within hours with thousands of people participating. It is, in fact, a form of democracy that was at the heart of the promise of the internet.

So, what will the government do with this democracy that demands real change in the historic fabric of oligarchic rule in Thailand? The military junta's answer will be an existential moment in the history of Thailand.

The article points out the difference that social media makes today that did not exist even 10 years ago. It shines a bright light on Government institutions that are not doing the job their existence demands and on the pervasive corruption. Finally, the technology has the power of communication and the ability to create a consensus within hours with thousands of people participating. It is, in fact, a form of democracy that was at the heart of the promise of the internet.

So, what will the government do with this democracy that demands real change in the historic fabric of oligarchic rule in Thailand? The military junta's answer will be an existential moment in the history of Thailand.

They've given their answer already; single gateway.

Do you HAVE to try to justify everything with "this is a developing country".

The US banking crisis has absolutely squat to do with the carnage on the roads here and the fact that killing people with a vehicle is apparently quite ok.

I'll give you this..rich people tend to walk more than poor people everywhere.

Does that make it right? No.

But when money can buy your way out of wantonly taking a human life, this cannot be justified in any society.

Being overly dramatic and resorting to hyperbole does not prove an argument.

Vehicle road fatalities are much more common in all developing countries not just Thailand.
[The US banking crisis was in reference to prevalence of corruption all over the world not the cause of Thai road fatalities.]

Thailand is a very dangerous place to drive, or even be a pedestrian.

This will never change until the police actually enforce the traffic laws.

I recently studied for and took ( and passed ) my Thai driving test and was amazed to learn there are laws against all of the foolish and reckless driving habits we see on the roads in Thailand.

If the laws were enforced, it would save thousands of lives,

and if citations for violations of the laws were issued and fines collected, it would generate huge amounts of money for local governments.

Fines generated from parking violations alone would total a fortune!

It would generate enough money to pay officers a good wage, benefits and a retirement program that could eliminate the need for tea money and corruption as well as pay for repairs and improvements to hazardous roads.

It is hard for me to believe that Thailand can not see this!

If "Uncle Too" follows Thai Visa...I hope he is listening!

You had to 'study' to pass the Thai driving test ?! Has it got 1,000% harder since you only had to stamp on a 'brake pedal' when the fake traffic-light turned red !

Thailand is a very dangerous place to drive, or even be a pedestrian.

This will never change until the police actually enforce the traffic laws.

I recently studied for and took ( and passed ) my Thai driving test and was amazed to learn there are laws against all of the foolish and reckless driving habits we see on the roads in Thailand.

If the laws were enforced, it would save thousands of lives,

and if citations for violations of the laws were issued and fines collected, it would generate huge amounts of money for local governments.

Fines generated from parking violations alone would total a fortune!

It would generate enough money to pay officers a good wage, benefits and a retirement program that could eliminate the need for tea money and corruption as well as pay for repairs and improvements to hazardous roads.

It is hard for me to believe that Thailand can not see this!

If "Uncle Too" follows Thai Visa...I hope he is listening!

You had to 'study' to pass the Thai driving test ?! Has it got 1,000% harder since you only had to stamp on a 'brake pedal' when the fake traffic-light turned red !

Yes, for me it had.

Since I had let my California DL expire, which also made my International license invalid, I had to start from scratch and take both the fifty question "written" ( on computer ) test and the physical driving test as well as the color blind test, the reaction test and the depth perception test..

I also had to sit through about 6 hours of instructional videos and lectures all in Thai. Some of the videos had English sub titles.

I was able to take the multiple choice test on the computer in the English language as well.

Since most people, Thai or not, do not pass the first time they try, the instructors ( testers?) were very impressed that I did pass the first time I tried.

The most difficult part for me was learning what all the traffic signs mean. Many are different from my home country and not reading the Thai language makes some more difficult as well.

I do think that common sense and having more than 45 years experience as a licensed driver helped a lot.

Any more questions?

Edited by willyumiii