Is the 348 between Sakaeo / Aranyaprathet and Buriram open?

Bredbury Blue

Is the 348 north from Sakaeo / Aranyaprathet to Buriram open?

Last year we travelled this road on a Saturday afternoon. We turned left off the 3486 on to the 348 and the police were only allowing the traffic coming south through. All of us going north to Buriram (Phanaom Rung) were u-turned around and sent west on the 348 towards the Cambodian border, and sent through forests on a circuitous route west, north, then northwest on the 3308 (alongside the Cambodian border it’s a dirt road – those of you with bikes should like the 3308 but no so good in a car). I don’t want to be sent on the bloody 3308 again (an extra hour and potholed) but be sure we can go north on the 348 (if not well go via Kabinburi on the 304).

So is the 348 north open?

As the route goes from East Thailand Forum to Isaan Forum I’ll post in both.

It was probably the result of an accident. There's a tight downhill bit where lorries regularly collide or run off the road.

We were once holed up for 5 hours as traffic was bunged up both sides of that 'black spot'. Thai driver impatience meant that both lanes were being used (3 lines of traffic all in one direction clogging the road on both sides - result being that recovery vehicles could not get through to remove the wreckage. Classic Thai self-defeating road selfishness.

I've done that road about twice a year for the last 10 years. Only that one accident problem. Also I think we would have heard from enraged isaan falang if unannounced road closures were a regular planned feature

Travelled the road on monday afternoon to Buriram and back this afternoon and traffic was great both ways.

Definitely think the isaan to bkk route via sakaeo (348 and 359) is far quieter, easier to drive, fewer danger areas (steep hills) and the best route compared to via Kabinburi (304) or Saraburi.

+1

Couldn't agree more with "Bredbury Blue", but at night I would not drive that route (348 / 359) as in case of a breakdown there are still some (major) parts that don't offer cellphone reception and villages are sometimes few and far between on the 348.

^There's also bugger all settlements on the 359 of note so breakdown there would be interesting.

lovely coffee shop/restaurant about 30mins from Sakaeo on the 359 called Coffee Please (left side heading towards Sakaeo). Its on google maps but on the wrong side of the highway.

Thais travelling in the other car (sakaeo pickup) in our party were pulled over at one of the checkpoints (I think at the bottom or top of the big hill on the 348) for urine testing.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

^ But at least the 359 has cell coverage all the way. thumbsup.gif

That Hill Checkpoint (I think the only "noticeable" Hill in the Route) is always a good for a stop.

When you drive through there with a RED Plate car (New Car with the Temp License plates) make sure that you have filled in the "brown" book correctly and still be prepared to get "fined"