Are pre loaded set top boxes legal?

TheCruncher

Companies such as Cth and True need to make a profit and the subscribers are providing that profit.

Because companies like CTH and True are paying big bucks for sports rights.

The last thing they want is someone undercutting them.

I don't really get why you find it so difficult.

Talksport have the rights to stream their own commentary of EPL games anywhere but IN the UK, that's because the EPL don't normally bother selling those rights to anyway.

Handy if you're stuck in traffic.

But TV rights are a different animal.

Why do you think Sky/EPL keep going to court to nobble pub landlords who ditch paying them 3 grand a month for a Sky box and instead use a Greek or Polish card, or worse a Dreambox?

Added: The EPL atcually cut off most of the EPL games from BeIn sports once, because people could buy their cards for <$250 and watch EPL all over Europe.

CTH and True and other companies around the world pay "big bucks" as you have correctly said for the rights to EPL and other content.

This results in the consumer paying extra for the service as all pay tv providers add their profit margin and then charge the consumer accordingly.

If Sky sports and other content providers did not use these pay tv providers it potentially would result in a lower price for consumers.

And with internet streaming it also makes it available to more consumers.

They could of course offer their content via an app as well as still making it available to the pay tv providers.

This model works very well in Australia with the AFL football.

And because of the increased competition this does result in lower prices and more choice for the consumers.

That is a completely different issue.

And by the way, Sky sports don't sell their wares to "Pay TV providers", they ARE a "Pay TV provider".

As are CTH, Bein, True, Astro, etc.

The Premier League are selling their product and they want the maximum revenue they can get.

Part of that is protecting the rights of the people to whom they sell it.

My point and I will reiterate. If Sky sports or the EPL or the NFL or the AFL etc. etc.etc.

make their content available around the world via live streaming direct from their app it will make it easier and possibly more cost effective for the customers.

Then we do not need to be paying fees to pay tv providers such as Cth and True.

That is my point of view and quite easy to understand.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

My point and I will reiterate. If Sky sports or the EPL or the NFL or the AFL etc. etc.etc.

make their content available around the world via live streaming direct from their app it will make it easier and possibly more cost effective for the customers.

You don't seem to get the point that they are in it to make money.

Individual providers such as Sky and Bein already DO offer internet streaming, it's one of the perks they offer to entice subscribers.

If the EPL started doing it then no-one would have to buy Sky or Bein to stream, would they?

So if the EPL streamed it globally, then Sky, Bein etc. would not pay billions of dollars for the exclusive - and comprehensive - rights in their region.

You seem to live in a somewhat idealistic world.

biggrin.png

You don't seem to get the point that they are in it to make money.

Individual providers such as Sky and Bein already DO offer internet streaming, it's one of the perks they offer to entice subscribers.

If the EPL started doing it then no-one would have to buy Sky or Bein to stream, would they?

So if the EPL streamed it globally, then Sky, Bein etc. would not pay billions of dollars for the exclusive - and comprehensive - rights in their region.

You seem to live in a somewhat idealistic world.

biggrin.png

I live in the real world.

And again and again you are quite deliberately missing my point.

My point again is that if the Epl and others such as the NFL provided direct streaming we would have no need for pay tv providers.

My point again is that if the Epl and others such as the NFL provided direct streaming we would have no need for pay tv providers.

Yes, and if they gave it away for free, no-one would have to pay for it.

gigglem.gif

Naturally the EPL and others would charge a monthly or yearly fee if they adopted this business model.

gigglem.gif

Naturally the EPL and others would charge a monthly or yearly fee if they adopted this business model.

Why would the EPL go through the hassle of setting up their own pay tv business and collect individual subscriptions if they can do it the easy way, and probably earn much more money, by letting a few organizations in the world bidding up against each other for the rights?

No trouble for them and monies earned before the season even starts.

gigglem.gif

Why would the EPL go through the hassle of setting up their own pay tv business and collect individual subscriptions if they can do it the easy way, and probably earn much more money, by letting a few organizations in the world bidding up against each other for the rights?

Before three seasons start.

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Where did I say three seasons?

Just yesterday I saw an announcement that Black Box is now available in Thailand, but the question is of course if they are legal.

In fact this not only concerns Black box, but extends to all similar services, like expattv an Ilikehd just to name a few, sold in Thailand.

Black box claim to be completely legal.

http://myblackbox.tv/

The black box shown on the web site appears to be the same as one my mate bought for thirty quid (same spec + looks the same)

I bought a similar model (again, similar specs and looks the same but with a webcam) but running Android 4.4 and having the built in webcam for Skype calls for about £45.00

This black box is being advertised at £125.00 and, as far as I can see, for the extra £95.00 or so, all you get extra is various (free?) apps pre-installed.

I will say both boxes we have work very well and we've no complaints regarding quality but, @ £125.00, the black box seems way overpriced to me.

biggrin.png

Where did I say three seasons?

Your last comment: They sell the rights in three year blocs.

thumbsup.gif

Just yesterday I saw an announcement that Black Box is now available in Thailand, but the question is of course if they are legal.

In fact this not only concerns Black box, but extends to all similar services, like expattv an Ilikehd just to name a few, sold in Thailand.

Black box claim to be completely legal.

http://myblackbox.tv/

The black box shown on the web site appears to be the same as one my mate bought for thirty quid (same spec + looks the same)

I bought a similar model (again, similar specs and looks the same but with a webcam) but running Android 4.4 and having the built in webcam for Skype calls for about £45.00

This black box is being advertised at £125.00 and, as far as I can see, for the extra £95.00 or so, all you get extra is various (free?) apps pre-installed.

I will say both boxes we have work very well and we've no complaints regarding quality but, @ £125.00, the black box seems way overpriced to me.

There are loads of people slapping Kodi and free apps/addons on cheap boxes and flogging them at an extortionate markup. But they need maintaining, so as I stated above you will need to learn the basics of Kodi eventually. Save your money.

If you think it's difficult, when you next have a bit of spare time, try this and I think you'll be surprised:

- Install Kodi on Windows (you can download it from kodi.tv/download and just doubleclick to Install)

- Follow these simple instructions to install seven addons.

I doubt you'll need anything more for a long time.

All you really need to remember is that periodically when you start up, Kodi updates a few things. And occasionally you ought to do a little housekeeping.

1. https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-tv-time-kodi/ (US Channels)

2. https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-live-mix-kodi/ (US and UK Channels)

3. https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-sports-mix-kodi/ (Sports Channels)

4. https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-tv-mix-kodi/ (TV Shows)

5. https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-movie-mix-kodi/ (Movies)

6. http://bestforkodi.com/how-to-install-njm-soccer-kodi-addon/ (Footy)

7. https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-exodus-for-kodi/ (All sorts of stuff)

All of the instructions are simple, you just need to make sure you type *exactly* what they specify. (Note that for 3-5 you don't need to add "fusion.tvaddons.ag" as you'll have done it in number 2).

Now that should take less than an hour, and then you'll have a setup that plays most of what you'd want.

And if you can do it on your PC, then it's equally easy on an Android box.

Things like Firesticks take a little extra setup, but it's not really rocket science and there are plenty of online tutorials.

Really, it is not that hard, don't waste your money on things like Blackbox, DIY is a far better approach, plus you'll have the satisfaction of having an overwhelming feeling of smugness afterwards.

w00t.gif

Edited by Chicog