Thailand Public Holidays - Booze free?

fgmr

There appear to be a number of public holidays during the first week in May. Can anyone advise whether any or all are booze free days. I am planning a beach & booze holiday and booze free days are definitely NOT on the agenda.

HELPdrunk.gifburp.gif

Edited by fgmr

Help is definitely what you need if you let "booze" and its availability dictate how spend your day/time.

That surely depends.

On a recent bike trip i found many towns and cities that were implementing the no drink available between 1 and 5 pm. I can assure you after 5 or 6 hours riding a cold beer is a must.

Also if a person is coming for a booze holiday as many do for two weeks of the year, it's a reasonable question to ask.

What is totally wrong in this country is how different areas cherry pick different rules depending on the mindset of whomever runs that area. For example Pattaya beside Buddha days you can always buy drink. Try arriving at a restaurant in some Northern towns after 1pm and asking for a beer while you look at the menu! Besides it being dam stupid, affecting restaurant owners income it can ruin a holiday also.

Edited by chrissables

Help is definitely what you need if you let "booze" and its availability dictate how spend your day/time.

That surely depends.

On a recent bike trip i found many towns and cities that were implementing the no drink available between 1 and 5 pm. I can assure you after 5 or 6 hours riding a cold beer is a must.

Also if a person is coming for a booze holiday as many do for two weeks of the year, it's a reasonable question to ask.

What is totally in this country is how different areas cherry pick different rules depending on the mindset of whomever runs that area. For example Pattaya beside Buddha days you can always buy drink. Try arriving at a restaurant in some Northern towns after 1pm and asking for a beer while you look at the menu! Besides it being dam stupid, affecting restaurant owners income it can ruin a holiday also.

yes, agree fully .... and I drink from 8.30am till night and fall asleep pissed at 8.00pm ... burp.gif

At the start of May the holidays are for "Labour day and Royal plowing" these are just public holidays, so nothing to do with Buddhism. The 20th of May is a Buddhist holiday though.

What about Coronation day on 5th May?

Aptly named Roland, As usual there is always someone available to denigrate others. I asked for advice re public holidays, not your views on drinking alcohol whoie on a week's holiday, Your commenthas been binned.

At the start of May the holidays are for "Labour day and Royal plowing" these are just public holidays, so nothing to do with Buddhism. The 20th of May is a Buddhist holiday though.

What about Coronation day on 5th May?

It is just a public holiday...............but linked to the king so possibly most places will be asked not to serve beer. Sorry, I overlooked that one. I am sure you can get served at a ma and pa's though. To be honest sometimes it just depends on the government/ruling party, usually a week before any special days to lay down their ruling of the law. One thing you learn from living in Thailand is that the law is like a rubber band, it can be either be very loosely pulled or pulled very tight.

Get a room with a decent fridge and stock up on non-holidays and have a great time, just to spite the likes of Roland....

Labor Day, Coronation Day and the Royal Ploughing Ceremony Day are technically 'booze days' but as mentioned, given the links to Royalty, the powers may 'request' places observe their archaic laws which could mean anything in actual execution...

There is often some puffed up local official who likes to make himself seem 'Thaier than Thai' (especially if elections are on the horizon) and may try and pass some sort of obscure local 'ordinance' clamping down on the fun of others to suit his ego/possible election campaign, while he gets plastered down at the Golf/Country Club with his cronies while covered in dolly birds.....

I wouldn't worry too much about mealy mouthed Daily Mail types here. They tend to be the ones who have married 'Tee Rak', find themselves stuck in some flimsy shack in Nakhorn Nowhere and have now been banned from any sort of fun as she needs all his cash to fund her 'brother's' moto taxi license and the new buffalo.

Have a good do ya lucky swine!!!!