CCTV traffic fines.

Benna08

Hi, I'm new to Thai Visa and I'm not sure where to post this. I have 4 outstanding fines that were posted to me. It was captured by cctv cameras and it's for entering an onramp where you're only supposed to exit. Do I really have to pay this, it's 800B each. What would likely happen if I ignore it?

You broke the law, pay the fines. It's not exactly a huge sum.

If you don't pay you may have problems renewing your road tax etc.

Sorry, I failed to mention that these fines were sent to me six months ago. The fines might be more now. I didn't pay them because 800B is very steep for such a small infringement in my opinion.

Here is just one thing that they can do -

Section 161

In the event a driver having committed an offence under this Act, the Commander of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police, the Commander of the Provincial Police, the Commander of the Traffic Police, the Commander of the Highways Police or the person authorized by the said officers shall have the power to seize and hold the driving license of such driver for not exceeding sixty days at a time.

The driver whose driving license is seized pursuant to paragraph one may appeal to the Director General within fifteen days from the day of the seizure of the driving license.

The Director General shall consider the petition and give the decision to either seize or not seize the driving license within one month from the day of receipt of the appeal. Such decision of the Director General shall be final

I don't have a Thai license. Which makes matters even worse, I guess.

Sorry, I failed to mention that these fines were sent to me six months ago. The fines might be more now. I didn't pay them because 800B is very steep for such a small infringement in my opinion.

Hmmm, going the wrong way up an off-ramp could be classed as dangerous driving or worse in our home countries.

In the UK the MINIMUM fine for speeding (which most would treat as a small infringement) is about 5,000 Baht (GBP 100).

Pay up.

EDIT No licence too. <deleted> get legal.

Hmmm, going the wrong way up an off-ramp could be classed as dangerous driving or worse in our home countries.

In the UK the MINIMUM fine for speeding (which most would treat as a small infringement) is about 5,000 Baht (GBP 100).

Pay up.

Now my question is, can I walk into the police station and pay my fine even though I don't have a license?

Probably. Do you have a Thai friend who can go and pay for you?

I've had several camera speeding tickets, Wifey goes to pay for me, she has no license (can't drive).

No, I don't. Will they have all your fines on system? I can only find 2 that they sent me. I misplaced the other 2.

Pay up.

Look, I'm not a reckless driver. All 4 my fines occurred during the same week as I was not aware that I wasn't allowed to enter on that off ramp. That's my mistake. The reason I say it's a minor infringement is because there were no other cars in sight. I definitely didn't put anyone's life in danger.

etc might include licence renewal possible old debts being referred to less savoury agents

They must have had your address, probably from the car license plates. Who is the registered owner ? If it is you, and you have no license, you probably have no insurance either.

If it is a GF, Wife, significant other who has the car registered in their name, I am sure that it is their name on the tickets.

Lol...... That's not how life works. A traffic fine is not a donation. You don't get to pick the amount.

Not to mention the whole point of a steep fine is that it is suppose to act as a deterrent! Not to mention 800 baht is not steep at all for a traffic violation.

And..... Good lord.... You don't even have a license. Do you care at all about traffic laws here? Or do you just think you should get to do whatever you want?

I really hope you are trolling us all.....

Edited by inbangkok

I have failed to pay about 5 tickets. I paid around 20. I feel my 80% pay rate matches the 80% real offence rate since the other 20% were fabricated or sought by the police.

The 5 I never paid go back over a decade. I have never had any repercussions. They were probably fake ticket pads the cops were using. I have renewed my road tax, renewed my work permit, exited and entered the country many times. No repercussions.

Edited by Briggsy

Lol...... That's not how life works. A traffic fine is not a donation. You don't get to pick the amount.

Not to mention the whole point of a steep fine is that it is suppose to act as a deterrent! Not to mention 800 baht is not steep at all for a traffic violation.

And..... Good lord.... You don't even have a license. Do you care at all about traffic laws here? Or do you just think you should get to do whatever you want?

I see we have a few wise ones here. I wasn't asking what the morally correct thing to do is. I am merely asking what the consequences will be if I don't pay. As I know there are thousands of Thai people that don't pay their fines. Keep your judgment to yourself.

I have failed to pay about 5 tickets. I paid around 20. I feel my 80% pay rate matches the 80% real offence rate since the other 20% were fabricated or sought by the police.

The 5 I never paid go back over a decade. I have never had any repercussions. They were probably fake ticket pads the cops were using. I have renewed my road tax, renewed my work permit, exited and entered the country many times. No repercussions.

Thank you, were these also fines from cctv cameras?

Pay up.

Look, I'm not a reckless driver. All 4 my fines occurred during the same week as I was not aware that I wasn't allowed to enter on that off ramp. That's my mistake. The reason I say it's a minor infringement is because there were no other cars in sight. I definitely didn't put anyone's life in danger.

So, if you go through a red light when there are no cars in sight, that's a minor infringement as well?

They must have had your address, probably from the car license plates. Who is the registered owner ? If it is you, and you have no license, you probably have no insurance either.

If it is a GF, Wife, significant other who has the car registered in their name, I am sure that it is their name on the tickets.

Yes, the car is in my gf's name and it is her name on the tickets. She doesn't drive at all, though.

She is from the Philippines.

Edited by Benna08

Listen, I'm not on here to debate what a minor infringement is or if what I'm doing is right or wrong. All I'm asking for is some solid info on what would happen if I ignored these tickets. Any useful advice is much appreciated.

Listen, I'm not on here to debate what a minor infringement is or if what I'm doing is right or wrong. All I'm asking for is some solid info on what would happen if I ignored these tickets. Any useful advice is much appreciated.

Well.... You are the one that opened yourself up to it by proclaiming that you didn't pay the fine because you think it is too steep.

But anyway..... After my wife and myself got done laughing over your stunning arrogance regarding the law..... She said that most likely nothing will happen until whoever owns the car goes to get a new registration whenever it is due.... Then you may run into some problems.....

I see we have a few wise ones here. I wasn't asking what the morally correct thing to do is. I am merely asking what the consequences will be if I don't pay. As I know there are thousands of Thai people that don't pay their fines. Keep your judgment to yourself.

Yes. Wise enough to follow traffic laws and man up when I make a mistake. However, I consider that more simple personal responsibility more than being wise.

If your name is not on the ticket, just the owner of the car, you have nothing to worry about. The registered owner will have to pay those tickets, plus any accrued penalties, when the time comes to renew the Annual Tax.

But keep in mind this Forum Rule -

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

This also pertains to those who choose to reply to your Post

If your name is not on the ticket, just the owner of the car, you have nothing to worry about. The registered owner will have to pay those tickets, plus any accrued penalties, when the time comes to renew the Annual Tax.

But keep in mind this Forum Rule -

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

This also pertains to those who choose to reply to your Post

The car is in my gf's name, but I'm the one driving it. So obviously I'm going to pay for the fines.

Just spoke to one of my colleagues whose father works for the police. Her father suggested that I wait until tax renewal and pay the fines then IF there are any on the system or to just keep ignoring it if they don't say anything about it.

Edited by Benna08

Well.... You are the one that opened yourself up to it by proclaiming that you didn't pay the fine because you think it is too steep.

But anyway..... After my wife and myself got done laughing over your stunning arrogance regarding the law..... She said that most likely nothing will happen until whoever owns the car goes to get a new registration whenever it is due.... Then you may run into some problems.....

Not arrogance at all. I found this on the Internet.

Traffic violation fines

1 - No crash helmet - 200 b + no fine for a further 24 hours if receipt retained for original fine

2 - Speeding - 200 b

3 - Overtaking - 200b

4 - Temporary Red No. plates if expired - 200b

5 - No seat belt, 2 persons, 500b

6 - No driving license for motorcycles - 800b

7 - Driving down a bus lane - 500b

8 - No vehcle tax - 500b

9 - Foreign non international driving licence - 200b

My opinion on it being steep was formed by comparing it to this list. I'm not talking about prices of fines in other countries. I couldn't care less about that.

Traffic violation fines

1 - No crash helmet - 200 b + no fine for a further 24 hours if receipt retained for original fine

2 - Speeding - 200 b

3 - Overtaking - 200b

8 - No vehcle tax - 500b

My opinion on it being steep was formed by comparing it to this list. I'm not talking about prices of fines in other countries. I couldn't care less about that.

Again, that is not how it works. You don't get to look at comparable offenses and then claim the fine relating to your offense is too steep and therefore decide not to pay it. Legislators in Thailand make these decisions..... Not you. So yes, arrogance is a perfect description. But you seem pretty convinced that you have logic on your side, so good luck. Just hope this train of thought doesn't get you into serious trouble some day.....

My wife got a ticket once - crossing a solid white line to go up an overpass - needed to cross further back on the dashed line. 500 baht. We paid it at the post office which you can do. However, she said Thais talk about this all the time and most don't pay the fine. While the ticket is given by the police, the land transport department do registrations. So they won't know what outstanding tickets you have. Many also say the ticket isn't valid after a year anyway. Personally, I'm a worry-guts and don't like stuff like that over my head. I got a court summons years ago because I neglected to pay a lousy 20 dollar parking fine in Australia. I paid up promptly lol

Traffic violation fines

2 - Speeding - 200 b

3 - Overtaking - 200b

8 - No vehcle tax - 500b

I would suspect that this list has been gathered from people reporting that they had paid this for the said (supposed) offenses.

In many cases, not even a real fine, but tea money. Probably the reporters didn't even know the difference.

Just too many 200B fines in there, I suspect that the real fines for overtaking, expired plates, no valid driving licence are way over 200B.

Traffic violation fines

2 - Speeding - 200 b

3 - Overtaking - 200b

8 - No vehcle tax - 500b

I was fined 500 baht for speeding, so the list may not be correct.

As others have said, when the tax is renewed you will have to pay the fines, plus a penalty, before the tax can be renewed.

Oh, and if you have an accident and do not have a valid driving licence, the insurance will be invalidated.