Any trustworthy jeweller in Pattaya ?

moogradod

As we are heading for Pattaya soon and some anniversary is up I would like to ask the experienced locals if anyone can recommend a trustworthy jeweller to my wife (Thai) and me.

Thanks a lot for any information.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I cannot afford anything of Cartier or Tiffany.

The reason I am still thinking of buying something in Thailand is:

1. My wife has some Thai gold and any gold puchased elsewere would not be 24 carat (in Switzerland it is 18 carat) and therefore not matching well

2. The price you pay for manufactoring outside Thailand (like Switzerland) is multiples, making the finished jewellery much more expensive

I can hardly believe that all the shops I have seen in Pattaya in the past are only offering fakes. Some do display extremely nice pieces.

Anybody who can really help ?

Mark up on jewelry is very high in Europe/USA. But if you a referring to buying gold jewelry then any of the Chinese gold shops would be ok with very low markup for the workmanship.

Edited by Spaniel

Thanks Spaniel

I have been purchasing gold many times over the years, but never in combination with a stome like emerald, ruby or amethyst. This time I wold like to buy a combination of a ring with a stone and earrings with a stone.

Hope someone can help.

From what I understand precious stone settings are never done in 24ct as the metal is to soft so not considered strong safe enough to clasp the stone.

I bought an 18ct necklace & earing set with rubies from a contact in Hatton Gardens in London for my missus when our first was born.

The young 'un snapped the chain on the necklace & we brought it into a jeweller in Pattayaland for repair.

First thing he did was to say it was poor quality & he offered to buy it for a 1/3 of what I paid.

I thanked him for the offer & left.

Never been inside a Thai jewellers since just the gold shops.

From what I understand precious stone settings are never done in 24ct as the metal is to soft so not considered strong safe enough to clasp the stone.

I bought an 18ct necklace & earing set with rubies from a contact in Hatton Gardens in London for my missus when our first was born.

The young 'un snapped the chain on the necklace & we brought it into a jeweller in Pattayaland for repair.

First thing he did was to say it was poor quality & he offered to buy it for a 1/3 of what I paid.

I thanked him for the offer & left.

Never been inside a Thai jewellers since just the gold shops.

an utmost bah.gif reason insinuating all Thai jewelry shops resort to fraud.

I've always dealt with Jeannie or her brother, Jeff who had Diamond's on Beach Road. He told me that the rent was killing him and was planning to relocate. Can not find them now. 20 years ago they had a shop across from Montien called Jeannie's Gems. Anyone have any info?

Thanks everybody. You all have a point here. Especially the comment 18Karat vs. 24Karat with stones makes a lot of sense. Thanks SidJames ! So if we opt for stones I might really look here in Zurich first

since my argument of 24Karat gold is void. If nothing is found we may switch to a pure gold version and then I know where to look. Bought some dozens Baht in the past.

...althought I think it is still tempting ...are not rubies found nearby (Myanmar) and I remember the big blue stones in wonderful necklaces I have seen many times - but I think you are right - there is a risk which I would not have in Zurich - exept for the exorbitant prices you pay for everything here. Even for tiny 18 Karat gold necklaces the prices ar ridiculous here.