Residence Cert with Visa Exemption

Is it possible to obtain a Residence Certificate from Jomtien immigration with only a Visa Exemption stamp (rather than a visa) ?

Also is it possible to obtain an O-A visa (retirement) from Bangkok Soi Suan Plu with a visa exemption stamp ?

...assuming all the other required paperwork is in place.

Thanks John

Not sure you would get a certificate of residence at Jomtien. What do you need it for?

You cannot apply for a OA visa at any immigration office. The Suan Plu office closed many years ago. It seems you are reading some incorrect info on an embassy website.

You could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at Jomtien immigration but you will need 15 days remaining on your entry or a 30 day extension of it. You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a both totaling 80k baht.

After getting the 90 day entry you could apply for a one year extension based upon retirement during the last 45 day of it. You will need the same financial proof but the 800k baht must be in the bank for 60 days when you apply.

Thanks for your info John & Joe - yes I picked up the Suan Plu option from the London Embassy website, looks like I need to send them some feedback!

The certificate of residence is for driving license and car registration. It looks straight forward to obtain but I was wandering of they accept the visa exempt stamp. If not it's no big deal, I'll just wait until I get a 'proper' visa.

More important is the long stay visa option. I am hoping to avoid having to go back to the UK to apply. Is there any practical difference between the 'retirement visa' obtained in your home country and the 'one year extension based on retirement'?

The 90 day visa and one year extension can be multi-entry, right?

Thanks again - John

The main difference is that the money can be in a bank in the UK if you get the OA visa. The OA visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue.

You can get a multiple re-entry permit after you get the extension to keep it valid if you want to travel. You can get a single re-entry permit to keep the 90 day entry valid if you want to travel within the 90 days.