Anyone can comment 3BB VDSL Internet?

gessi2000

I went and signed up for the 50/10 for THB700 deal from 3BB yesterday. I connected my Asus DSL AC68U ADSL/VDSL router once I got home ( had previously entered all the settings, and it worked straight way.

Presumably you already had 3BB ADSL? How do they sort out the change of billing from your previous package?

Yes, I already had their ADSL package. I went to their office with my details and passport. The lady did it all online, she even offered to set up a 3bb router with my wireless network password so it would be connect and go.

Basically she gave me a new account numbers and a new username, which was the only thing I had to add to the router, and carried over the remaining two months credit from my previous package. (I pay a year up front for 8% discount). When I got home 20 mins later, the old ADSL router was not working. I plugged in my new Asus, added the new username and it worked straight away.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A tech from 3BB showed up today to check my connection is working ok.

For the first time ever since my problem with slower international speeds, a 3BB staff member told me the truth about what happened.

He confirmed the new packages have slower international speeds.

New packages run on 3BB network, while my older package ran on 3BBNEX network, which has much higher international bandwidth.

VDSL runs on 3BB network, while 3BB fiber runs on 3BBNEX network, which explains the much better international bandwidth reported by TV members using 3BB fiber.

which network your connection uses is determined by your username. 3BB network usernames end with "@3bb" while the others end with "@3bbnex".

sadly, there are no VDSL plans using 3bbnex.

For the first time ever since my problem with slower international speeds, a 3BB staff member told me the truth about what happened.

New packages run on 3BB network, while my older package ran on 3BBNEX network, which has much higher international bandwidth.

VDSL runs on 3BB network, while 3BB fiber runs on 3BBNEX network, which explains the much better international bandwidth reported by TV members using 3BB fiber.

which network your connection uses is determined by your username. 3BB network usernames end with "@3bb" while the others end with "@3bbnex".

I noticed that last night, that my older package was on 3bbnex and the new one just 3BB. I also noticed that it took ages to start to stream a

movie on my Apple TV. Normally instantaneous.

Here are three hardwired speedtessts using www.speedof.me:

1. Down 17.84Mbps. Up 10.67Mbps

2. 6.00Mbps 36.91Mbps Latency 61ms

3. 15.06Mbps 7.91Mbps 60ms

Edited by phetphet

The login for my (old) ADSL package does indeed end in "nex".

So basically it seems that the trade off for a higher upload bandwidth with VDSL is a lower international download bandwidth. This would also explain why the VDSL packages are cheaper.

Probably quite suitable for the average Thai user though.

My ADSL username ends with "3bbnex".

The speed was increased recently. I noticed my torrent downloads are coming in at about 2.1 MB/s. Before it was more like 1.9.

In-country speedtest shows about 18.9 mbps: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5513602848

The ADSL modem now connects at 22014/2198 kbps up/down.

The speed was increased recently. I noticed my torrent downloads are coming in at about 2.1 MB/s. Before it was more like 1.9.

In-country speedtest shows about 18.9 mbps: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5513602848

then keep that package as long as you can and don't succomb to the luring sirens of higher speeds for less money with the new packages. it's all hogwash.

How much do you pay per month for that? As far as I know the only package (previously) available was the 18/1 package at about 990B per month. That or the slower 590B package.

I have the 990B one and my sync speeds are exactly 18/1. They have not been increased at any time, particularly the up sync speed. So I'm surprised that you get double mine.

Edited by KittenKong

How much do you pay per month for that? As far as I know the only package (previously) available was the 18/1 package at about 990B per month. That or the slower 590B package.

I have the 990B one and my sync speeds are exactly 18/1. They have not been increased at any time, particularly the up sync speed. So I'm surprised that you get double mine.

I pay annually - 10,631.50: ((900*12 months) - 8% discount)+7% tax smile.png

So that works out at 886 /month.

I was severely tempted to sign up to the VDSL plan, but that is why I'm reading this forum! Glad I did, too biggrin.png .

re. the "Up" speed: although the modem connects at 2198 kbps, I haven't seen that up speed in a test result. It used to connect at about 1750 kbps until recently, so there has been a slight increase. I'll do some more speed tests to see if I can get a 2 Mbps up result.

Edit:

New test result: 18.93 / 1.82 Mbps -

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5514637837

Edited by JetsetBkk

I pay annually - 10,631.50: ((900*12 months) - 8% discount)+7% tax smile.png

So that works out at 886 /month.

I was severely tempted to sign up to the VDSL plan, but that is why I'm reading this forum! Glad I did, too biggrin.png .

re. the "Up" speed: although the modem connects at 2198 kbps, I haven't seen that up speed in a test result. It used to connect at about 1750 kbps until recently, so there has been a slight increase. I'll do some more speed tests to see if I can get a 2 Mbps up result.

Edit:

New test result: 18.93 / 1.82 Mbps -

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5514637837

I just found a print out of my Huawei modem settings before the recent speed increase.

The Bandwidth down up (i.e. modem connection speed):

Was: 17918 / 1279 kbps

Now: 22014 / 2198 kbps

Give them time, KittenKong. If your plan is the same as mine I believe they will get around to you eventually smile.png .

• 3 weeks later...

View talay 5D.  Ordered 50/10 VDSL ftom 3bb on august 11th because it was only 100 baht more than the 10/500kbps ADSL I previously had.   

ADSL stopped working Sunday evening August 14.  Plugged in the huawei router and entered the login info.  Nothing, no internet, no DSL light.   Waiting already two days.  Now it is Tuesday august 16.  I have DSL light solid but still no internet.  Call center says I am "in the queue".   How long is this gonna take ?

On 30/07/2016 at 2:44 PM, JetsetBkk said:

I just found a print out of my Huawei modem settings before the recent speed increase.

The Bandwidth down up (i.e. modem connection speed):

Was: 17918 / 1279 kbps

Now: 22014 / 2198 kbps

Give them time, KittenKong. If your plan is the same as mine I believe they will get around to you eventually smile.png .

Just saw this post half a month late. Sorry. Thank you TV upgrade. :(

I pay the same amount as you (with the same annual discount) so presumably we are on the same package which is no longer advertised. My upload bandwidth has never shown any sign of moving about the 1mbs originally advertised. Maybe I will gird my loins and go into the 3BB shop and ask them.

finally the technicians came to my condo at View Talay 5D, after waiting 3 days without internet.  They had to switch through four pairs of wires at the demarcation point before getting the 50/10 VDSL to work. 

I still only get at best 5/2 to international servers (using speedtest.net to san francisco).   See before and after results below.  With this particular comcast server in SF, the VDSL download speed is actually lower than the ADSL download.  With other servers in SF, I was getting download around 5mpbs.  It all seems to be throttled at 5/2 max.  Local thailand servers check out at better than 50/10  ...  ~54 / 11.5   

Despite lower download speeds, I like that fact that I am getting 2.5x the upload speed, this will help with video calls to the USA.  

I was paying 630 per month for ADSL, now I am paying 750 per month for VDSL.  not a bad bargain, I suppose.   

ADSL speed

speedtestSF6thfloorADSL.JPG

VDSL speed

speedtestSF11thfloorVDSL.JPG

On 17 Ağustos 2016 at 3:59 PM, almasy1939 said:

finally the technicians came to my condo at View Talay 5D, after waiting 3 days without internet.  They had to switch through four pairs of wires at the demarcation point before getting the 50/10 VDSL to work. 

I still only get at best 5/2 to international servers (using speedtest.net to san francisco).   See before and after results below.  With this particular comcast server in SF, the VDSL download speed is actually lower than the ADSL download.  With other servers in SF, I was getting download around 5mpbs.  It all seems to be throttled at 5/2 max.  Local thailand servers check out at better than 50/10  ...  ~54 / 11.5   

Despite lower download speeds, I like that fact that I am getting 2.5x the upload speed, this will help with video calls to the USA.  

I was paying 630 per month for ADSL, now I am paying 750 per month for VDSL.  not a bad bargain, I suppose.   

ADSL speed

speedtestSF6thfloorADSL.JPG

VDSL speed

speedtestSF11thfloorVDSL.JPG

Sorry, but you are not getting 5/2 international.

Speedtest uses min. 2 threads. It means you are getting 2.5 / 1 mbit international at best.

Sad but true.

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

Hello, do you know if now, when applying 3bb we still have to pay for a router ?

Even if I pay 1 full year internet ahead ?

And what is the cheapest offer for VDSL now ? (no fiber in my building (too high), but VDSL ok)

Thank you.

At the bottom of the 3BB page talking their 30Mb VDSL plan it says no charge for the router.  See below Google Translate of what the page says at the bottom.

http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/internet_package/1

Terms and conditions apply.
• One month subscription fee. • 
Free VDSL WiFi Router. 
• Discount 5,000 Baht. 
• The company reserves the right to provide service in case of speed. The connection speed is lower than that specified in the selected package. Due to technical or network factors or limitations, and the number of users at that time.

Although above 3BB web page only mentions a 30Mb VDSL plan for Bt590 they use to have, and still may have, a 50Mb VDSL plan for Bt700.  Add 7% VAT to the plans to get final monthly price.