Pattaya police setup checkpoints as part of national crackdown on traffic violators

snoop1130

And they have a nice sidewalk now (hadn't been there in years) but the taxistands made a very low roof with sharp points which i hit because i'm tall.

It's not so much a matter of being tall as merely a failure to look where you're walking. It's a very good thing your wife does the driving. That needs to continue.

Crackdowns in Thailand are just for laughs.

No, if you'd been caught in a pedestrians checkpoint and ticketed right after you hit that low roof, you'd probably think twice before recklessly walking again.

Crackdowns and checkpoints aren't most effective but they're how we do things, they do have some effect, and they're better than nothing. Can you imagine the response to any suggestion of raising visa fees to pay for better policing? Best thing about them is that they give the peanut gallery yet another excuse to sneer and demonstrate their considerable expertise at crime fighting.

Is that the royal "We"?

For some reason Thai's think everything will be fine if the foreigners leave Thailand. They have little idea of the consequences if they did. Maybe someone should sit down and explain the way things actually work as opposed to their cloud 9 idea

For some reason Thai's think everything will be fine if the foreigners leave Thailand. They have little idea of the consequences if they did. Maybe someone should sit down and explain the way things actually work as opposed to their cloud 9 idea

The pic in the OP shows a Thai being stopped; the article merely says a large number "including" foreigners. Were they supposed to be exempt, bwana? If not, then they gonna leave Thailand in a huff? laugh.png And here you've fallen victim to the ol' "killing the goose" cloud 9 delusion. Better that someone should sit down and explain to you the way things actually work.

Edited by JSixpack

Last weekend in Pattaya my wife even horned to somebody!! I've never seen her doing that. It was against a farang and his wife plus kid on a scooter who drove through red and blocked our way. Fallang go home she said whistling.gifwhistling.gifcheesy.gif

Strange , i got the horn the other day as wellwhistling.gif

Could have been me, I use the horn almost daily to pass idiots on their bikes.

Last weekend in Pattaya my wife even horned to somebody!! I've never seen her doing that. It was against a farang and his wife plus kid on a scooter who drove through red and blocked our way. Fallang go home she said whistling.gifwhistling.gifcheesy.gif

With all due respect, that's one of the problems here. Thais want our money, but not us. A very racist statement, and totally inappropriate. Again, with all due respect.

wai2.gif

Well it was a funny situation. The farang family on a small scoopi blocking our way on a junction while we had a green light. It was just so messed up that he decided to just slalom through the mess, motocytaxi-style. But farangs are not ought to do that and sure not block the car from a Thai driver while doing it.

Pattaya has become a farangcity where they all do the same as the Thai, which is just do as you please. Total anarchy.

Yes they want your money only and for transport you have to take a taxi without metre or get scammed at the songthaews.

Chinese are much smarter though, they just travel by bus and let it stop where they like, even on the middle of beachroad..then all traffic has to wait for them. Then they take over the whole pavement, no space left for other pedestrians.

I liked the seaview in pattaya, the german restaurant as well, nice cool breeze but for the rest i don't want to be there. It's only about money, no real Thai or holiday-atmosphere.

Well it was a funny situation. The farang family on a small scoopi blocking our way on a junction while we had a green light. It was just so messed up that he decided to just slalom through the mess, motocytaxi-style. But farangs are not ought to do that and sure not block the car from a Thai driver while doing it.

Wish I had a baht for every time a driver here did something he/she shouldn't have. I ain't been perfect either. Best driving I've seen was in Japan, where getting a license is a serious business. I should know, as I went through the whole process.

But some of the craziest driving I've encountered has been in the States.

Having said that, in proportion to their numbers, farang here are worse drivers than Thais, so I avoid being near them when possible. And that's partly because I'm very used to Thai driving and know what to expect, unless from a true kamikaze. Most of the time farang are too inexperienced at riding motorbikes or drive too slowly and don't take the opportunities you expect a Thai will. Or you sometimes have the idiots on superbikes. That's always been true; nothing new here.

Pattaya has become a farangcity where they all do the same as the Thai, which is just do as you please. Total anarchy.

No. Act on that belief to your regret. See you in the news, pal.

It's only about money, no real Thai or holiday-atmosphere.

Can be--and that's a plus. Fast service when you want it, directness doesn't waste your time. I don't need no smiles with that change, thank you, just want to get outta there. Nor does every day need to be a holiday. Had a blast New Year's Eve; you?

But there's also quite a lot of Thai atmosphere "around" that the Thais themselves enjoy and you can find if that's what you really want. In fact, if you want to live in a Thai town, you need go no further than Banglamung.

If you speak at least basic Thai, have good manners, and can empathize with Thais a bit, then you usually experience a lot of friendliness wherever you are in Pattaya.

Despite the "given" apathy at HomePro, for example, I always get great service and have a pleasant experience there. Recently I read a blanket condemnation of the sales assistants at IT City. Went there to get a printer cartridge, encountered an older guy who looked away and obviously hoped I'd not speak to him. Soon as gave him a cheerful, friendly smile and a "Sawadee krub!" he changed totally, and as I explained clearly what I wanted, he was happy to help. Gave me a nice smile when I walked out, too. Ironically as I was leaving some demented old German was haranguing the cashier in broken, heavily accented English . . . sigh.

Strange , i got the horn the other day as wellwhistling.gif

Could have been me, I use the horn almost daily to pass idiots on their bikes.

BS, balo, in one of your posts a few months ago you said you NEVER use your horn in Thailand. Never. now you say almost daily. So Mr. sheepish has now grown a pair. Well done.

What the headline should read is

"Pattaya police set up checkpoints as part of National extortion of foreigners"

No.

Amusing isn't it....?.....you regularly see TV's finest bleating and whinging and bout the lack of law and order in Thailand and how "they" should do something about it...and the BIB do attempt to do something about it....the bleating and whining continues and few conspiracy theories get thrown in for good measure...the other posters wife may not be far wrong in her remarks...

Further driving through the "fair city" of Pattaya, I have observed on numerous occasions, exactly what this posters wife encountered....fat farang, typically middle or old aged, with some Isaan "beauty" and a little sprog...all loaded up on a honda wave, no helmets and driving rather erratically and members here condemn Thai drivers....

What about the farang who claim to be so superior endangering the life of a young child on a "motocy" they can barely ride... oh no thats ok....

Edited by Bobotie