Chiang Mai Air Quality

typ123

Kudos to the Chiang Mai Air Quality Control Office! Adding a whole new dimension to the definition of "hypocrisy."

We took a ride around the Samoeng Loop road today, and the entire upper roads had been freshly burned. Mile after mile of blackened slash, sometimes going back 25 meters up the hillsides, other times just one meter from the edge of the road if there were rocks behind. I guess it's just much easier to burn than to cut it all back, while at the same time, giving farmers fines for burning their fields....

I don't see how that's hypocrisy on the part of the PCD? They research, measure and report.

Yes.. I have family South of town and it's been the same there. We had a bit of land cleared and normally that would just go up in smoke, but the rules and enforcement is finally getting stricter.

That's for village areas though of course, way up on the hills it's more difficult I guess.

Still, it's a good sign.

No, it's not a good sign. It's the same nonsense every year.

"A good sign" is when you first don't have a desirable policy to effect an improvement, and then later you do have one. It indicastes increased awareness at all levels, as well as some signs that new rules are adhered to. It doesn't mean things are resolved.

These discussions are really difficult this way, when all you get in return are generic grunts of unhappiness.

At first there's a discussion on TV on how it's not that bad or it is that bad, then it goes on and many people leave. The ones left come to the conclusion that it is that bad and the authorities should do something about it. Then the rains come and the smoke goes away until the next year when we repeat the cycle.

Yes, that describes Thaivisa very well. For the PCD however it's a full time year-round job, and there are plenty policy discussions before the season starts.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• 2 weeks later...