Phuket-based film ‘Patong Girl’ wins prestigious award

snoop1130

Phuket-based film ‘Patong Girl’ wins prestigious award
The Phuket News

post-249866-0-58480500-1459424729_thumb.

PHUKET: -- The award-winning German movie 'Patong Girl' will premiere in Thailand, fittingly in Phuket’s tourist haven Patong, as well as three other locations, including Bangkok, on April 21.

The film has won the coveted Grimme Prize for the best fiction/special category for 2016. Although the award jury has already publicly announced the winners of the prestigious awards for German television, dubbed the “German TV Oscars”, the gala presentation will be held in the city of Marl on April 8.

“Lead actress Aisawanya Areyawattana will be flying over to receive the award,” Tom Waller, Co-Producer of Patong Girl, told The Phuket News today (Mar 31).

Aisawanya plays “Fai”, who German tourist Felix Schroeöder, played by Max Mauff, falls in love with while on holiday in Phuket with his family.

From there, the plot takes twists and turns, to resounding critical acclaim in Germany for highlighting the intricacies of cross-cultural romance.

“Patong Girl had a theatrical release before it was shown on television, so the film is considered a feature film but funded by television. So what happened is that the film was shown at festivals and then in cinemas before it was released on television,” Mr Waller explained.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-based-film-patong-girl-wins-prestigious-award-56853.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-31

from imdb

German family Schroeder is spending their Christmas holidays on the Thai island, Phuket. Of all the things, deep within the sleazy tourist bars and alleys of Patong, the youngest son Felix falls in love with a gorgeous Thai girl Fai who in return appears to mutually attracted to him. Fai holds a special secret. Following a sorrowful last goodbye to Fai at the end of his holiday, Felix decides while en-route to the airport, to follow the calling in his heart and stay a week longer. Written by Anonymous

Seriously?

Felix decides while en-route to the airport, to follow the calling in his heart and stay a week longer. Written by Anonymous

Follow the epic adventure of Felix trying to find a transport from Patong to Phuket Town that he can afford, enduring the heat while waiting in line to get an extension for his permission to stay in the country, returning to Patong again in a TukTuk while fighting off avances from a Ladyboy which luckily gets tossed out of the vehicle as it sverves to avoid crashing into two motorcycles that drove into each other. Finally back in the arms of his love, the story makes a sudden twist and he gets pushed over the balkony of the 5th floor of his hotel. Police solve the mystery by concluding that he suffered from a heart attack. The end.

Based on several true stories.

I read somewhere recently that this film was actually shot in Pattaya, not Patong.

Absolutely biggrin.png

First scene after arriving in Thailand: driving in a Baht bus along 2nd road passing Soi 8, Soi 7 and so on.

Another scene when he rushes into Pattaya Nuea bus station.

A friend of mine plays a one second role (foreigner walking out of bus station).

The "upcountry" scenes have probably been shot in Chon Buri and Chachoengsao.

That bus supposed to go from Phuket to Nong Khai (!) (a 24h ride?) is a regional bus (non AC) labeled with Chachoengsao to Nong Haen (some district in Chachaengsao) biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

Looks interesting…anyone seen it yet?

Where?

In German language from public TV "ZDF", a bit over 1 GB on my disk.

So I can not serve with a copy for the English speakers.

Nice piece.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Felix decides while en-route to the airport, to follow the calling in his heart and stay a week longer. Written by Anonymous

Follow the epic adventure of Felix trying to find a transport from Patong to Phuket Town that he can afford, enduring the heat while waiting in line to get an extension for his permission to stay in the country, returning to Patong again in a TukTuk while fighting off avances from a Ladyboy which luckily gets tossed out of the vehicle as it sverves to avoid crashing into two motorcycles that drove into each other. Finally back in the arms of his love, the story makes a sudden twist and he gets pushed over the balkony of the 5th floor of his hotel. Police solve the mystery by concluding that he suffered from a heart attack. The end.

They must have edited out the part where Felix buys Fai a bar in Patong, he builds a new house in Issan, and he buys a new pick-up truck, just before going over the balcony. biggrin.png

Great review.

Looks interesting…anyone seen it yet?

Where?

In German language from public TV "ZDF", a bit over 1 GB on my disk.

So I can not serve with a copy for the English speakers.

Nice piece.

Would you mind to upload it to dropbox for me ?

I read somewhere recently that this film was actually shot in Pattaya, not Patong.

Blue water like that - nowhere near Pattaya!

The miracles of digital cinema.

Although, years ago, the water off Koh Larn used to be quite blue.

My friend, I think that softball mighta knocked something loose when it hit you in the noggin, ha,ha,ha,ha crazy.gif

Seems you don't move much?

Or is this post just a joke?

Or is 20 km south of Pattaya not near enough?

Joke? Nah. My experience at several places in the gulf of Thailand tells me not expect blue sea.

Go west young man, yes, west coast of Thailand if one wants reliable blue.

from imdb

German family Schroeder is spending their Christmas holidays on the Thai island, Phuket. Of all the things, deep within the sleazy tourist bars and alleys of Patong, the youngest son Felix falls in love with a gorgeous Thai girl Fai who in return appears to mutually attracted to him. Fai holds a special secret. Following a sorrowful last goodbye to Fai at the end of his holiday, Felix decides while en-route to the airport, to follow the calling in his heart and stay a week longer. Written by Anonymous

Seriously?

Hey! At least it is an original script idea. No one ever thought of it before.

But I like Eisfeld's version. that would be worth seeing. What about adding in a scene of the bus stalling on Patong Hill and running back down etc etc. That would be really original except no-one in Europe would believe it could possibly happen.

Joke? Nah. My experience at several places in the gulf of Thailand tells me not expect blue sea.

Go west young man, yes, west coast of Thailand if one wants reliable blue.

No doubt that are better regions for clear water than the eastcoast.

But the water down south ("military beaches") are good enough for some "pseudo Phuket" scenes,

The unknowing viewer will not notice.

This film is not a big Hollywood budget blockbuster.

So obviously they looked for ways to save money.

Another proof that Pattaya is cheaper biggrin.png

Best movie would be about a guy who comes here and ends up in 100% of bad things that can happen. Including the patong hill bus and the other ideas said before me.

Made with a comedy vibe. That would probably sell, the movie "pattaya" seems to be doing really well in france.

If anyone has seen the film, what is Fai's special secret? Have Rainman333 and Impulse nailed it? Was she born as "Somchai?" I mean, they did meet in Phuket. Deep voice, huh???

My sincere apologies if I did accidentally nail it and ruined the surprise for anyone who may see the flick. I didn't see it, and probably won't (if it's in German or Thai)

Dude was such an obvious "secret", I figured that couldn't possibly be it. Otherwise I'd have never posted such a spoiler.

On an aside, my favorite faux spoiler is "They all die in the end". That one is usually pretty safe, too.

Edited by impulse