Bus & van drivers go back to school

webfact

Bus & van drivers go back to school
By CPRD

n7Chonburi1.jpg
Col. Popanan Luangpanuwat (inset) presided over the training sessions for public transport drivers.

CHONBURI: -- About 250 Chonburi public transport drivers went back to driving school in the wake of a spate of accidents that drew the attention of the military.

Col. Popanan Luangpanuwat, deputy chief of the 14th Military Circle, presided over the March 24 lessons for bus and van drivers at Chonburi City Hall.

The training was organized following various road accidents that caused fatalities and injuries. Some drivers were careless and that awakened the army to crack down on public transport operators.

Full story: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/bus-van-drivers-go-back-to-school-57295

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2016-04-01 footer_n.gif

Ohh another clackdown. Why not make a new law?

Or make an announcement they they are enforcing a new law which is really an existing law that drivers never paid any attention to.....

Until penalties are significant enought to warrant drivers attention and until those in positions of enforcement are encouraged to carry out their duties proffesionally not much will change....

I can do all of the following with impunity...

1) Drive Drunk

2) Run Red lights

3) Speed

4) Drive dangerously

5) Stop Anywhere (with hazard lights on !)

6) Block Box junctions

7) Undertake

Only if I have an accident might I be threatened with a charge, which I can probably buy myself out of....

Of course, out of decency I do my best to obey the rules..... but many, van drivers included, generally have very little regard for the regulations which ultimately are in place for the safety of those around them......

Another step in the right direction - makes me hope the winds are changing

I am disgusted about all the negative and cynical commentaries here

this does not show the negative reality as they think

- it shows the negative mindsets of the posters

A step in right direction:The overview was in yesterdays paper.All officers from the three armed services with the rank of sub lieutenant and up have been given police powers to summon, arrest and detain suspects from traveling. The regime claimed a shortage of police officers as a key factor behind its decosion.

I was out yesterday as a passenger in a car. I was able to notice more closely the stupid antics of some drivers. It is not just the bus and minivan drivers who are at fault. the worst instance I saw, was the driver on the wrong side of the road facing on coming traffic. He couldn't see the road correctly due to the vehicle parked in front of him. This was no problem as far as he was concerned. He just pulled out to join the traffic on the correct side. How the motorbike and other car coming towards him were missed can only be explained as devine intervention. I've seen some hair raising things here, as I am sure we all have, as well as serious accidents. How to justify the Me,Me, Me attitude of these people when they are behind the wheel of a leathal machine, is beyond me. As has been said many times, until the existing laws are enforced strictly, things will never change.

I did an advanced drivers course in the Middle East a few years back and there were... lets put it politely --- Asians on the course...the first thing the instructer did was ask basic questions of the pariticipants....

This was his way of removing individuals from the course before they started.

First question : You have been driving for several hours, you feel a bit tired what do you do ?

First answer : I wind down the windows and drive faster.....1st pupil removed. He went on like that through a group of 20 individuals asking basic questions....it left 2 of us in the class to do the course....Both from the UK.

None of the others were considered fit to be behind the wheel of the company vehicles and 2 of them were already working as crane drivers....they went home soon after to their home countries.

As already mentioned - these people are behind the wheel of a lethal weapon.

A step in right direction:The overview was in yesterdays paper.All officers from the three armed services with the rank of sub lieutenant and up have been given police powers to summon, arrest and detain suspects from traveling. The regime claimed a shortage of police officers as a key factor behind its decosion.

You are correct. Another step in the right direction indeed

Ohh another clackdown. Why not make a new law?

Or make an announcement they they are enforcing a new law which is really an existing law that drivers never paid any attention to.....

Until penalties are significant enought to warrant drivers attention and until those in positions of enforcement are encouraged to carry out their duties proffesionally not much will change....

I can do all of the following with impunity...

1) Drive Drunk

2) Run Red lights

3) Speed

4) Drive dangerously

5) Stop Anywhere (with hazard lights on !)

6) Block Box junctions

7) Undertake

Only if I have an accident might I be threatened with a charge, which I can probably buy myself out of....

Of course, out of decency I do my best to obey the rules..... but many, van drivers included, generally have very little regard for the regulations which ultimately are in place for the safety of those around them......

No need for any new laws. The Ministry or Culture has unveiled its Better Driving through Thainess campaign which includes increased safety on Thai roads by encouraging classic(sic) Thai driving values.

In addition there will be midnight prayer on April 12 to symbolize the beginning of new driving habits. See, problem solved and no need for any new laws.

No.

It shows "posters" are in the real world, and see straight through this charade.

I did an advanced drivers course in the Middle East a few years back and there were... lets put it politely --- Asians on the course...the first thing the instructer did was ask basic questions of the pariticipants....

This was his way of removing individuals from the course before they started.

First question : You have been driving for several hours, you feel a bit tired what do you do ?

First answer : I wind down the windows and drive faster.....1st pupil removed. He went on like that through a group of 20 individuals asking basic questions....it left 2 of us in the class to do the course....Both from the UK.

None of the others were considered fit to be behind the wheel of the company vehicles and 2 of them were already working as crane drivers....they went home soon after to their home countries.

As already mentioned - these people are behind the wheel of a lethal weapon.

Had a similar thing when I took my driving test in Qatar a number of years ago. There was a mix of locals, European (2 of us), Indians and SEA's. Only two people passed the test myself and the other European everyone else failed. After that they did what many countries do i.e. lower the standards.

NO mate ! it is not negativity, but years of frustrating behaviour by Thai public service drivers. Who drive like absolute morons with no regards for others whatsoever. Nothing is ever done about them, and i am sure that these so called lessons will have no effect whatsoever. Tomorrow, they will be on the road again with fully loaded mini buses feeling the power under their sorry <deleted> racing two abreast with a likewise mini bus. Be disgusted if it helps you sweatalot but after 10 years i am pissed off with their behaviour.

You are correct. Another step in the right direction indeed

A bit like the "crack downs" that we get on a regular basis, many which never last for more than a couple of hours. You are so naive my friend. Wake up , this is Thailand where many of these public service drivers are from Isaan and never even had a decent education. Just one step up from driving pappas buffalo !

When I read the headline I had visions of these drivers returning to kindergarden, which is where most of them belong, I drove from Sattahip to Roi-Et today and guess who were the most dangerous Ars###es on the road, non other than the 'brain-dead' minibus brigade. They even eclipse the snail-slow, horn-tooting 10bht bus drivers because a lot more potentially fatal problems can arise at 120kph than at snail speed!

Archived