International Licence

sumantkumar

Does Thailand have a law stating the maximum number of years one can use an intl driving licence before having to get a thai drivers licence?

For example, I have an intl licence which I get renewed in Canada every year. I had no intention of getting a Thai license, because all I had to do was mail in my form each year to Canada, and then they send me a new licence. (very easy) However, if the law states that i have to get a Thai licence after a period of time, I guess things will change.

sk

Edited by sumantkumar

If you wont to get a Thai licence without taking the Thai test, you need a international licence no older than 3 months. Regardless of the expiry date of the international licence, Thailand only allows its use for 90 days from issue.

Hm what about if you only have a uk Driving licence is it legal for you to drive in Thailand. The wifes dad gave us a car and I have been driving it for about 2 months, surely there not to strict on licences over here, I cant imagine everyone who drives has one, please correct me if wrong.

OK. You MUST have an IDP to drive in Thailand, a UK licence alone is NOT legal.

Your IDP is valid for only 90 days driving. BUT the clock restarts from your latest entry so it's not 90 days from issue, it's 90 days from last entry.

PLEASE NOTE it has been observed that insurance companies are reticent to pay out claims if you don't have a 'proper' (ie Thai) licence. This note does not apply to rental car insurance.

You can get a Thai licence without taking the driving test if you have an IDP and UK licence (you still have to do colour blindness, depth perception and reaction tests though).

So can i not apply for a Thai driving licence if I do not have an international driving licence? I plan on staying here for around 3 more years only popping back every june for a few weeks with the wife and child so they can see the rest of the family and i can reapply for my visa. Maybe I can get an international licence in june but what can i do for now?

You can get a Thai licence without the IDP. The only difference is that you have to do the driving test as well as the written test.

As for the colour vision test I did read somwhere on TV that they have two different tests. If you fail the normal test, the one with numbers made out of different coloured dots, you can ask for the other test.

So can i not apply for a Thai driving licence if I do not have an international driving licence? I plan on staying here for around 3 more years only popping back every june for a few weeks with the wife and child so they can see the rest of the family and i can reapply for my visa. Maybe I can get an international licence in june but what can i do for now?

If you don't have an IDP you will have to take a 'driving' test, looks a piece of cake.

AFAIK there is a multiple choice 'highway code' test (in English) and some steering round the car park.

There are board members who've done this, maybe someone can elaborate :o:)

I know I am red/green colour blind,I see red less vividly than I should and green more vividly,I have a UK driving licence, will this affect me getting a Thai licence?

The 'colour blindness' test is the figures in pages full of blobs test (forget the proper name). If you can pass this type of test, no problem.

I know I am red/green colour blind,I see red less vividly than I should and green more vividly,I have a UK driving licence, will this affect me getting a Thai licence?

The 'colour blindness' test is the figures in pages full of blobs test (forget the proper name). If you can pass this type of test, no problem.

I know I can't.

I know I can't.

D@mn :o I'd give it a go anyway, as others have noted there may be an alternative test available, I also remember someone noting that the tester said 'are you sure you can't see a number 6??' :D:)

I know I can't.

D@mn :o I'd give it a go anyway, as others have noted there may be an alternative test available, I also remember someone noting that the tester said 'are you sure you can't see a number 6??' :D:)

thanks,I can still use my UK licence for 2 mths because we've only just come back over so I'll try as soon as I can

Here is the thread discussing the colour blindness test:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=69938&st=0

thanks for that.very interesting.It seems from that thread that most people don't understand colour blindness.For 99% of people it doesn't stop them seeing the correct colours, red is still red and green is still green, its the brightness level thats affected. In my case I only see 80% of red light but see 120% of green light. Red traffic lights still look red, green lights are still green, stop lights are redand indicator lights are still amber so its not a danger to anyone else on the road.