I love Chiang Mai, do you?

smallmarcuslee

Would this be the Chiang Mai that is overwhelmed with Chinese, Backpackers, Digital Nomads,hordes of ever complaining expats and smoke ?

A wise person would give it a miss !

Why don't you come visit us and find out the truth?

You can't compare it to Singapore, that's like 3rd world to first world. Comparison to Bangkok would be fair.

Lived in SG for 9 years, don't really miss it, a bit, ok, but it was efficient, clean, green and people were usually friendly as any other Asians.

First you say you can't compare it then you do.facepalm.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, a cultural desert, for sure. Outside of Bkk, I have never heard of such a thing as a symphony orchestra (though I think there is a youth orchestra that plays now and again....better than nothing, I guess).

When you've seen one temple, you've seen them all. (And then you remember how corrupt were the monks in the Christian church of the Middle Ages....)

But some of the farang restaurants are really good. Particularly Why Not? on Nimman soi 9 (or is it 11?) Also, Pern's and Beer Republic (where beer is good, though food too expensive).

And the bookstores are really rip-offs, compared to second-hand bookstores in the West.

Still, I suppose you can read the Metaphysical poets in the daytime, and have a Happy Ending on Loi Kroh at night, when it is much cooler.....

Comparing Singapore to Chiang Mai is like comparing a 2016 Ferrari 488 GTB to the Ebola virus. One is new, shiny, expensive, and exclusive to living well.....and the other is full of sheer misery that is wildly contagious.

Seriously, what mind altering substance wrote that crap comparison? Singapore really isn't that great and CM really isn't anywhere near that bad.

I just returned home from CM - my usual 2-3 day monthly or so visit - and yes I too enjoy the parts of the city that have a small town atmosphere. Friendly people, pleasant cafes and restaurants etc...

You are making many comparisons to Singapore - by which standard, in my book, most places would shine. Though I am surprised you find CM cleaner than Singapore...

You can self learn the language - keep a little book with you and write down new words as you come across them. Use them in conversation as often as you can. Then repetition repetition repetition - - it definitely takes time but if you have the interest and put in just a little time, you can do it.

I also like Chiang Mai, but it seems to be more and more neglected. Footpaths are breaking up, driveways filling with sand, and then mud when it rains.

It certainly is not as clean as Singapore, and as for quiet - where? The noise of condos going up 7 days a week is never ending, and the sad thing is that every tree, flower, blade of grass is replaced by concrete. Seems having some green and a bit of a garden is a rarity.

In the past 15 months, three gardens, their trees and lawns have been ripped out next to my condo, and replaced by yet more condos and concrete. Architects and Town planners don't seem to know the word "landscaping".

post-111567-0-37744700-1459737554_thumb.

I love coconuts

I love the friendly ness of Thais

I love the affordability

I love the international community

I love Doi Inthanon also

I love the restaurants committed to Organics

I love the movie theaters

I love the Grand Canyon

I love my self

I am Grateful to Live in Chiang Maipost-110710-0-75053400-1459740515_thumb.

I love Chiang Mai except for one thing - There's just too many damn foreigners coming here to live, making it a hassle to go to immigration for those of us who have been here for a while!

Okay, on a serious note, over the past 7 years, Chiang Mai has seriously changed. New malls, new moo bans, new major stores, and of course, the inevitable 7-11's. When we bought our house out were we live, we were 18 klm from downtown. Quiet, peaceful, very little traffic. Only two other moo bans within 5 kilometers, and mostly rice paddies around us. Now there's 7-8 moo bans, major stores, no rice paddies, and traffic is a nightmare at times.

But, still love the place, and can't think of anywhere else I'd rather live.

I like it but dont love it. Temps are a bit high for 10.5 months of the year. I like the low cost of living and the ability to explore the outer areas of the province by inexpensive life threatening busses. I like CM and Thailand in general more than the bordering countries.

Yes, a cultural desert, for sure. Outside of Bkk, I have never heard of such a thing as a symphony orchestra (though I think there is a youth orchestra that plays now and again....better than nothing, I guess).

When you've seen one temple, you've seen them all. (And then you remember how corrupt were the monks in the Christian church of the Middle Ages....)

But some of the farang restaurants are really good. Particularly Why Not? on Nimman soi 9 (or is it 11?) Also, Pern's and Beer Republic (where beer is good, though food too expensive).

And the bookstores are really rip-offs, compared to second-hand bookstores in the West.

Still, I suppose you can read the Metaphysical poets in the daytime, and have a Happy Ending on Loi Kroh at night, when it is much cooler.....

In that case 99% of the earth is a cultural desert - most towns and cities would fail the "must have a symphony orchestra" test. That would include Vatican City for example - one of the seats of Western culture but sadly lacking an orchestra.

You certainly have not seen "all temples" when you've seen one. They're incredibly varied.

I think most of the farang restaurants here are "OK" and rarely hit "Wow!" try Dubai for a comparison test where "Wow!" is very much the order of the day. I do like the availability of imported beer though.

The second-hand bookstores in the West don't have to import their books to Thailand - which is where much of the price differential comes from. Talk to the owners they go on book buying trips (which cost money) and then bring the stuff here (which costs more). It's not just stuff coming over the counter which stocks a large second hand bookstore. For Asia, they're very good value.

I do love CM but can only compare the last 6 years.

To me paradise lost is Bali of 45 years ago. I last went there in the 80s and had to pay to upgrade my seat to get out of the place.

The beautiful island is Shangrila no more.

In that case 99% of the earth is a cultural desert - most towns and cities would fail the "must have a symphony orchestra" test. That would include Vatican City for example - one of the seats of Western culture but sadly lacking an orchestra.

You certainly have not seen "all temples" when you've seen one. They're incredibly varied.

I think most of the farang restaurants here are "OK" and rarely hit "Wow!" try Dubai for a comparison test where "Wow!" is very much the order of the day. I do like the availability of imported beer though.

The second-hand bookstores in the West don't have to import their books to Thailand - which is where much of the price differential comes from. Talk to the owners they go on book buying trips (which cost money) and then bring the stuff here (which costs more). It's not just stuff coming over the counter which stocks a large second hand bookstore. For Asia, they're very good value.

I don't think too many on this thread will be interested in this little dispute, but I do think you are wrong re the symphony orchestras. If you compare a city of CM's size with European or American cities of comparable size, it would be extremely rare for a European or North American city to be without a symphony orchestra. (And to a certain extent this argument would hold true for Japan, Korea and China.)

Whereas in LoS, you have to go to Bangkok to find an orchestra (two actually, as it should be).

CM is real nice, I discovered it 20 years ago on youth travel into asia, and Instead of staying 2 days like planned... stayed a week, go to pai and stayed another week more.. for me that was a great experience, first city that really makes me feel comfortable. I came back there almost every year for few month... and I decided to live here for as long I can !

Bad points ?! well there are some but I escape most of them by living around 30mn away from downtown. I just love small villages but I like to enjoy city life as often as i want, CM area is just real great for now !

Clean and cool weather you say?

I open Google weather for Chiang Mai and I see +41 C for the next week. Good luck living in that.

Also, what about 2-3 months of smoky season?

2-3 weeks of smoky season. But what about it: I go on holiday when it happens. Didn't go this year as it has been manageable.

As for the heat: bring it on!! I love Songkran in scorching heat. Part of the experience. ;)

Hey

WinnieTheKhwai

I love your nickname and your slogan !

No woman no khwai..

so true, specially in Chiang Mai ! Land of khwai Deng !

and about the HOT wheather here.. air con is good : I compare it to heaters back home when you can't even put your nose outside, freezing temperature....

I also Like very much to be able to go outside in my swimming pool almost all year long.. that is a premium experience on my opinion !

Edited by Zendo

When I first got here I liked it alot more , but after living here almost 6 years , I think I could have found a more suitable place to settle and stay put . Smoke during this time of year keeps getting worse , and there tends to be an influx now of more foreigners .....

"The place is cleaner than my home country and the people here do not randomly litter."

Chiang Mai cleaner than Singapore...or are you referring to a different country?

Singapore and Japan are likely the cleanest countries in the world.

Aside from that Chiang Mai has a lot going for it outside of smoke/rainy season if you can get past the sight of pasty skinned farang walking around without shirts on...

ChiangMai was indeed a very beautiful place to visit more than 10 years ago. Rich in culture and the people are very gentle and friendly. Peaceful and quiet.

But with every modern development in the city , there is a price to pay.

The haze and smog , the traffic congestion during peak hours around the city , and more and more tourists especially from China lately.

So many sign boards are in Chinese ! The whole city is not China town for for crying out loud!

Personally, ChiangMai has lost about more than 50 percent of the old days charm.

I still love the lanna food and people from ChiangMai.

Gone are those fantastic street food along Tha Phae Gate area and Anusan market.

Sad to see so much influx of foreign influences and many places turned so touristy. ( Only good thing for me are those fabulous new western Eateries that arrives to give such a wide selection of good food in ChiangMai )

There was just one Mc Donalds in Night Bazzar in the whole of ChiangMai for many years.

Kad Suan Kaew was the only big enough shopping center before Robinson underwent a major revamp.

The airport was just for Domestic flights.

The Ping River never dries up unlike in recent years.

Summer was hot but without those bad air pollution.

The discos and Pubs were a blast as I can hop from one place to another. 'Spicy' near Tha Phae Gate is the sleazy place to be after 3.00am!

GiGi Disco along the river and BOSS in ChiangMai land and many more !

The disco under Kad Suan Kaew was also a very happening place to be and so as sib song (12) Huay Kaew area just opposite!

Now only 'Hot Shot' pub and 'Bubble' disco is still in the game but less away 80 percent of the fun!

However, those horror TukTuk drivers are still the same. Demanding ridiculous fares for short distant even more than 10 years ago!

So, I guess I have to enjoy whatever is left of ChiangMai has to offer before it is changed into a Chinese city in Thailand !

So, for those that had a fond memory of the old charming ChiangMai , may I invite you to put in your experience to share here with those newer visitors of recent year.

Cheers!

My friend..if you know of the resulting ills...do your best to get it back..in your own way ..you can. I do.

My comment would be that I used to love Chiang Mai much more than I love it now. Sure, there are plenty of things about Chiang Mai that I still love: spending the dry season there, with 4-5 months of almost nothing but nice and sunny weather and not too hot, good food, nice people, the old town center, Doi Suthep, the beautiful surrounding countryside, being able to do the Mae Hong Son Loop at least once or twice every time I'm there, and the list goes on, so plenty of good things to say about Chiang Mai.

There are two things, though, that I'm not a big fan of, and that's the traffic and the smog during the burning season. Traffic is an ever increasing mess and chaos, and I don't think city or provincial officials are very much interested in solving this problem, so it's probably just going to get worse. Which also means that air pollution is going to get worse. The haze/smog is my other big concern. I haven't visited this year, and I understand that it's not that bad. I don't know if that's because of government policy and rules/regulations being more strictly enforced, or because of more favorable weather conditions (rain/wind). All I know is that last time I was there, in the winter of 2011/2012, it was just horrible for many weeks, and PM10 levels of over 200 for quite a while, and I ended up getting a very bad case of bronchitis. I've been hesitant to return ever since, to be frank.

My first visit to Chiang Mai was in 1988/89, I spent eight wonderful months there, and I know times change and it will never be like that again. But I'd really like to go back to Chiang Mai some day, spend a dry season there and be able to see Doi Suthep all the time.

I will never forget my first trip to Singapore, a business trip, about 30 years ago. The taxi driver from the airport was starting to tell me about Singapore, "It's a fine country," he said and I'm thinking here we go again with someone telling me how great his country is. He continued "There's a fine for doing this, a fine for doing that" and so on. Turned out to be a very entertaining taxi ride.

I was based in Singapore back in 84. Things were good then, and not as expensive as nowadays. It's still a nice place but perhaps a bit too sterile.

Accommodation rates have soared thru the roof, food is still good but no longer cheap and booze is only for the wealthy.

Those are some of the reasons why I like Chiang Mai.

Hi all, i'm 18 and from singapore. I wouldnt have been here if not for my dad getting an expat job term here in the year 2012 and im extremely thankful for that. Ever since, ive been visiting CNX every school holiday and fell in love with the place. Even after my dad left his job here, we bought a condo and still visit CNX very often and we would stay here for 30days during each visit.

Here are some of the reasons why i love CNX. Please share yours below!

The people here are extremely friendly and helpful.

Place is very peaceful and not fast paced and busy as in Singapore.

I love the space here, in singapore, it is overpopulated and crowded.

The place is cleaner than my home country and the people here do not randomly litter.

I love the mountainous view everywhere i go! And i love visiting doi inthanon!

Theres so much to explore here everytime i go for holiday.

The food and living here is so much more affordable!

Its a place where i can really connect myself to nature.

I am stress free here!

There are many cafes where i can relax and spend my time at!

The dry weather as compared to hot and humid singapore!

The cold "winter" in december! Absolutely love the cold weather at that time of the year :)

These are some of my opinions and reasons, what about you?

Why do you love CNX?

Damn i tried self learning the thai language but its just so hard lol! Anyone can share some tips on learning the thai language? Like learning the consonants/speaking/writing first?

based on your first 4 points ill never be visiting singapore....ever. CM sucks as it is....20-30 minutes to travel 5 kms? you can shove that one.

I love Chiang Mai, do you?

NO

There are trains, buses and planes that will solve your problem.

I would be surprise that there aren't few of your acquaintances wouldn't take up a collection to hurry you on your way.

But, still love the place, and can't think of anywhere else I'd rather live.

That must be hyperbole. In the entire planet, you can't think of a single other destination better than Chiang Mai? I could think of dozens.

What's stopping you?

For me I genuinely cannot think of a better place. Not as in "objectively for anyone, including most elderly ladies from Luxembourg", but better as in for me? No.

Wouldn't make much sense to stick around otherwise, would it?