Kickboxing gyms

SamT

Hi all,

Brand new here, I apologise if this topic has been covered already a million times.

I've just moved to Chiang Mai, planning on being here for a few years so thought it might be wise to sign up to a gym to offset all the good food and beer that I intend on eating and drinking. I'm probably not intending on fighting in any fight nights, just want to do some high intensity training more than anything.

Can anyone recommend a good kickboxing gym in the Chiang Mai area? They don't seem to be that well represented in terms of websites etc, so I figure that word of mouth is probably the best way to go about it.

I'm just off Mahidol Road, so something local would be ideal, but the most local one (2499) seems to be the most expensive I've seen.

Thanks in advance

Sam

looks like its Hobsons choice then.

you say the 2499 is the most expensive.....compared to what and where?

Often you know, you pay for what you get. I only spotted this new muay Thai gym the other week down Changklan and close to the Ratilanna.

Roadside it looks streets ahead of the rest, they have obviously spent a fair amount setting it up; give it a go, support a new business.

if it costs you a little bit more(than a stihhole) each week then so what,

just hope you're not going to be another cheap charlie coming to try and take advantage of Chiang Mai.

Often you know, you pay for what you get. I only spotted this new muay Thai gym the other week down Changklan and close to the Ratilanna.

Roadside it looks streets ahead of the rest, they have obviously spent a fair amount setting it up; give it a go, support a new business.

just hope you're not going to be another cheap charlie coming to try and take advantage of Chiang Mai.

Woah! Settle down. I was just asking for some comparisons and some advice.

One of the other ones I looked at was 9000b for 3 months unlimited. By the same token 2499 was 8000b for a month.

I absolutely agree that you get what you pay for, but I've spent the last 15 years of my life using various gyms and have found that the most expensive ones often aren't even close to the best, they're just the trendiest.

I'm not by any means 'coming to take advantage of Chiang Mai'. Whatever that means...

OP, don't worry. The 'Cheap Charlie' connotation is nothing more than saying that your careful with your money.

A phrase normally heard uttered by gutter mouthed bar girls (to foreigners they have zero respect for) or business owning foreigners that want you to overpay or bring you down to their misery of their past LDOP practices.

Edited by HLover

OP, don't worry. The 'Cheap Charlie' connotation is nothing more than saying that your careful with your money.

A phrase normally heard uttered by gutter mouthed bar girls (to foreigners they have zero respect for) or business owning foreigners that want you to overpay or bring you down to their misery of their past LDOP practices.

Ha, thanks for clearing that up! I'm certainly happy to pay a good price for things here, but I don't think that not paying for the most expensive thing is 'taking advantage' of Chiang Mai!

Thanks to everyone else for their selections too.

"Cheap Charlie's" are people who don't allow themselves to get ripped off by bar girls or vendors who try to take advantage of them because they are a foreigner. A "good farang" pays 'sin sod' for a thrice married 45 year old with ten children, pays the first price quoted and says "thank you" kind sirs. They are loved ... until their money runs out, whereupon they revert to being "Cheap Charlie's".

Choose your moniker carefully ... as they say in Thailand ... "up to you".

Woah! Settle down. I was just asking for some comparisons and some advice.

One of the other ones I looked at was 9000b for 3 months unlimited. By the same token 2499 was 8000b for a month.

I absolutely agree that you get what you pay for, but I've spent the last 15 years of my life using various gyms and have found that the most expensive ones often aren't even close to the best, they're just the trendiest.

I'm not by any means 'coming to take advantage of Chiang Mai'. Whatever that means...

10 years ago, all farang-friendly muay thai gyms in CM cost around 7,000 - 8,000 per month. I don't know what the 3,000/month option is, but I strongly suspect it is for something else, and not a regular mt gym. Of course, it might still be exactly the kind of exercise you want.

The standard mt training is about two hours in the morning and about two hours in the afternoon, six days a week. Not unlimited training. You and everyone else shows up at the same time in the morning and then again in the afternoon, and train for a couple of hours. You can't show up at another time or "when you want", so there's nothing unlimited about that training. So in this case, the price is not related to trending I suspect, but rather different products.

I'm quite surprised to hear that full-time at a mt gym costs the same now as it cost 10 years ago, as it seems very little else does that. I don't know anything about the mt gyms in CM now, but I do know the Hong Thong muay thai gym has at least some good people teaching (the two brothers that own it), so you might want to check one out.

"Cheap Charlie's" are people who don't allow themselves to get ripped off by bar girls or vendors who try to take advantage of them because they are a foreigner. A "good farang" pays 'sin sod' for a thrice married 45 year old with ten children, pays the first price quoted and says "thank you" kind sirs. They are loved ... until their money runs out, whereupon they revert to being "Cheap Charlie's".

Choose your moniker carefully ... as they say in Thailand ... "up to you".

i agree with both comments wholeheartedly,

remember op dont take advantage of chiang mai haha,

Edited by willfreeman

chay yai gym is no longer where it used to be - i drive past it all the time - it either closed down or has obviously mobved - to where i dont know - sorry

It is no longer in the old location but if you google it the location is correct.

Recommended as a decent Thai boxing gym but also not far from the OP location.

Check it out.