Buying Shares, UK our Thailand?

I'm currently in the UK and looking to buy relatively small amounts in certain companies. I had thought my RBS could help but they can't. Other stockbrokers seen to charge too much. I only want to buy a few thousand pounds of sick for a bit of fun. I also might want to start buying mutual funds.

Would I be best doing it from here or would I be better waiting to I get back to Thailand re charges?

One that looks promising is Vanguard.

All the trading send to be on platforms.

Can anyone advise the best way to buy couple of thousand pounds with of a company. I've never night any before.

Thanks.

Check the Thai banks. They all have investment arms that offer full brokerage services as well as mutual funds. But it is up to YOU to do the research to find what best suits your needs. Personally, I don't invest in stocks/funds in Thailand. Too many unknowns and headaches. It is a big world. Money can be made (or lost) anywhere.

Edited by docshock13

Depends where you want to invest, if you want to buy Thai shares, then a Thai broker would be fine, if you want to buy uk or other non Thai shares then I would suggest not using a Thai broker, though some do offer an international service, they tend to be expensive. It also depends where you are resident eg if you are Thai resident not so easy,without a prior connection, to open an account with a uk broker. TD international and Saxo bank have had positive mentions on this forum in the past and they are both happy to take on Thai residents as clients.

I use Cornhill Capital , Shard and peterhouse for wholesale placings etc an keeping in the loop and have a cheap trading account £5 a trade for retail mkt trading thru share centre i only trade Uk mkts they are rigged enough .

The UK brokers are bad enough selling u anything to get their commission so i dont need the xtra hassle believing a Thai broker ,no chance

In the UK i use Hargreaves Landsdown for outright share purchase

For Spread accounts I use ETX Capital and Capital Spreads

I think what the OP is really asking, and what Id like most out of this thread...

Is basically, where you get the best deal? brokerage, spreads, fees, transfers. Which can all be different depending which country one comes from

Note: I tend to mistrust anyone that claims anything other than your strategy should be diversifying across a broad range of blue chip or near blue chip investments. And the definition of broad being just that optimum ration of parcel size to brokerage and fees

Why Hargreaves? and into which account where, why do you think thats the cheapest or best?

And to everyone else: whats going to beat some of these online international trading accounts, for example IB

I ask for three reasons:

1. In Australia, pretty much anything that goes to or from an australian bank account gets murdered by fees

2. Whether you have a billion dollars or a million, strategy is still the same, parcel size determined mainly by fees, spread it across a range determined by parcel size and risk

3. Every flippin time I've asked anyone about this,doesnt matter who it is, either they dont know, are unaware of all hidden costs (especially with exchange rates and tax), or going into some spiel about how they know better than everyone whilst they are paying such and such a month for some super duper platform or investment advice. Lots of BS with the male ego when it comes to finance

Two thousand pounds seems a bit low to me, your downside risk is high high, generally better with ETF so risk spread more, and maybe even on deposit with bank, with small sums your costs going in and out eat up a lot

Personally I use Interactive Brokers and Cimb Singapore, but both have minimum account size around US$10,000

Hargreaves Lansdowne can not take your money if you become non UK resident, under EU regulations

Two thousand pounds seems a bit low to me, your downside risk is high high, generally better with ETF so risk spread more, and maybe even on deposit with bank, with small sums your costs going in and out eat up a lot

Personally I use Interactive Brokers and Cimb Singapore, but both have minimum account size around US$10,000

Hargreaves Lansdowne can not take your money if you become non UK resident, under EU regulations

Is that EU regulations, UK regs. or FCA rules? Honest question because I'm fighting this issue with the FCA presently.

Be careful. I have over £1,000 worth of Barclay's Shares that I bought whilst in the UK. Last year I became disillusioned how the shares were performing and asked to sell them through the Barclay's Share Company. They advised me that because I no longer had a resident in the UK, I could not sell the shares through them and should try one of the International Brokers. Having made inquiries, I decided against selling due to the high fees they would charge for the sale. The alternative is to give the shares to my Daughters who are resident in the UK and cut my losses.

SET is a little on the small side.

Only a few thousand pounds for a bit of fun?

What does that even mean? Fun losing money in a country with negative growth and losing any gains in transaction fees and / or exchange rates?

Who's losing money? I made B1million in the last few weeks and fees are only 0.17% for online trading with Maybank Kim Eng. I have been investing in the SET since 1999. People who lose money investing are investing in the wrong shares.

SET is a little on the small side.

Only a few thousand pounds for a bit of fun?

What does that even mean? Fun losing money in a country with negative growth and losing any gains in transaction fees and / or exchange rates?

Who's losing money? I made B1million in the last few weeks and fees are only 0.17% for online trading with Maybank Kim Eng. I have been investing in the SET since 1999. People who lose money investing are investing in the wrong shares.

The OP is talking about the UK, not Thailand

You've basically answered your own question: Vanguard.

Low fees (and not likely to change in the future), with a nice online interface. Take a look at the index mutual funds and ETFs too, in addition to their brokerage services.

If you are going to spend the dividends or capital gain in Thai Baht, then Mutual Funds in Thai banks shall be considered to avoid exchange rate losses. Most banks, if not all, offers so-called "Fund Books" and they normally have a variety to choose from, either dividend paying or accumulating; however bonds are accumulating only and no capital gain tax apply. A special type called LTF (Long Term Fund) is without capital gain tax (up to 500,000 baht/year) if kept for minimum 5 years. The clerk in the local branch may not know much about investment, so it's a good idea to check on the Internet which Funds you wish. I've been using both Kasikorn (K Bank) and SCB, both have English language web-sites with good explanation and historically performance graphs:
http://www.kasikornasset.com/EN/Pages/Disclaimer.aspx

https://www.scbam.com/en//

smile.png

Oh, heres one now

And what returns have you averaged in those 17 years? You dont have to say $ amount, just percentage wise. Guys will often brag about gains, never really admit to losses. My point being, just saying you made a million in the last couple weeks, doesnt really tell the OP, or anyone else anything, Do you know what your average returns have been over the last 17 years with SET,

Not saying one cant do ok with the SET, just that as soon as a guy says something like "People who lose money investing are investing in the wrong shares." its a red flag

The OP is talking about the UK, not Thailand

OP asks should he do it there, or wait till he gets back to thailand

Low fees (and not likely to change in the future), with a nice online interface. Take a look at the index mutual funds and ETFs too, in addition to their brokerage services.

If the OP is resident in Thailand he can't invest with Vanguard.

Exactly what do you mean by resident though ?

Hargreaves said I could not invest due to being non resident for tax purposes, however my private pension provider claimed it was not a problem to carry on contributing even after being non resident for tax purposes for more than 5 years.

And being on an extension of stay here , I can't really say I am a resident in Thailand.

Sorry for going off topic slightly but would really like to know the truth.

Edited by Bangkokhatter

Exactly what do you mean by resident though ?

Hargreaves said I could not invest due to being non resident for tax purposes, however my private pension provider claimed it was not a problem to carry on contributing even after being non resident for tax purposes for more than 5 years.

And being on an extension of stay here , I can't really say I am a resident in Thailand.

Sorry for going off topic slightly but would really like to know the truth.

What I meant to say was that if he is not a UK resident, he can't deal with any of these trading companies. That means he must have a UK address.