Free ATM withdrawals and deposits throughout Thailand at Songkran

webfact

Free ATM withdrawals and deposits throughout Thailand at Songkran
Thaivisa Reporters

atm.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Bank customers can expect free withdrawals and deposits from ATMs and CDMs outside their region throughout the Songkran period.

The freebie, announced as a measure to help Thai tourists in the holiday period, will come into effect from the 13th April until 11pm on the 17th.

The move applies to all banks that are members of the Thai Banks Association.

Source

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-07

A reliable source would be helpful!

I assume this would just be the Thai bank ATM charge, which I think was 200 Baht, but home country bank charges would still apply. I paid £5.08 in total charges last time I used my bank card at a Thai ATM, of which the Thai bank charge was the highest proportion.

EDIT: Just checked, I paid £4.08 "Non sterling transaction fee" and £1.00 "Non sterling cash fee". I can't recall where I saw the Thai bank fee premised, it may have been a credit card a few years ago.

Edited by ThaiKneeTim

Such a generous offer.

Forfeiting, is it the humongous 20 baht fee ?

Obviously it doesn't include overseas cards,western tourists don't come here to celebrate Songkran and spend money like THAI tourists.

In 2016 there shouldn't be a fee to withdraw money period,especially when your minimum wage is a pittance,that applies to the locals,foreigners maybe charged 200 % no problem.

Edited by stoneyboy

I assume this would just be the Thai bank ATM charge, which I think was 200 Baht, but home country bank charges would still apply. I paid something in the region of £5.20 in total charges last time I used my bank card at a Thai ATM, of which the Thai bank charge was the highest proportion.

I think you've missed the Thai tourist bit out personally.

Can you see them forfeiting the 200 baht fee.

If they do,I sir shall eat my hat.

Edited by stoneyboy

I assume this would just be the Thai bank ATM charge, which I think was 200 Baht, but home country bank charges would still apply. I paid something in the region of £5.20 in total charges last time I used my bank card at a Thai ATM, of which the Thai bank charge was the highest proportion.

Thai banks charge 20 baht for ATM transactions when outside the province of where the account was opened. I think they are referring to this fee.

Thai banks charge 20 baht for ATM transactions when outside the province of where the account was opened. I think they are referring to this fee.

Ah, okay, now I understand, so I wouldn't benefit from this anyway! Girlfriend would benefit either as we're not planning on going outside her banks province.

I greatly suspect the banks know that most Thais head home for Songkran so wouldn't benefit from this "generous" offer.

Ah, okay, now I understand, so I wouldn't benefit from this anyway! Girlfriend would benefit either as we're not planning on going outside her banks province.

I greatly suspect the banks know that most Thais head home for Songkran so wouldn't benefit from this "generous" offer.

On the contrary. I suspect "most Thais" - however we're going to define that - would have bank accounts nearest where they live/work so as to have no ATM fees most of the year. If they "head home", that is away from their live/work area, then they will most definitely benefit from not having to pay an out of area ATM withdrawal fee while traveling.

"Bank customers can expect free withdrawals and deposits from ATMs and CDMs outside their region throughout the Songkran period."

If they wanted to make it more convenient for the "tourists", why not just have beer and liquor dispensing machines that accept ATM cards, and cut out the middle step of the process altogether.

Edited by jaltsc

"Bank customers can expect free withdrawals and deposits from ATMs and CDMs outside their region throughout the Songkran period."

If they wanted to make it more convenient for the "tourists", why not just have beer and liquor dispensing machines that accept ATM cards, and cut out the middle step of the process altogether.

7-11s and family mart are the next best thing. Better prices on bottled beers than any bar. Some bars have some draft specials that are reasonable, especially when factoring in you are in a foreign country on vacation, there could be some pretty hosts about, etc.

They did this recently before some other major Thai holiday period. It covered reduction to some ATM and deposit/transfer fees regarding intra-Thailand cross banking regions...was geared to help Thai domestic tourism....didn't have anything to do with the Bt150 to Bt200 foreign card ATM fee which was not reduced.

Wish I could fine a post I made before which showed the Bangkok Bank announcement on how the fee reduction was applied...it was pretty clear regarding what transaction fees were reduced for a short period....I expect it's the same thing again but I could be wrong. Still looking for that earlier post with snapshot from the Bangkok Bank website.

They did this recently before some other major Thai holiday period. It covered reduction to some ATM and deposit/transfer fees regarding intra-Thailand cross banking regions...was geared to help Thai domestic tourism....didn't have anything to do with the Bt150 to Bt200 foreign card ATM fee which was not reduced.

Wish I could fine a post I made before which showed the Bangkok Bank announcement on how the fee reduction was applied...it was pretty clear regarding what transaction fees were reduced for a short period....I expect it's the same thing again but I could be wrong. Still looking for that earlier post with snapshot from the Bangkok Bank website.

Correct. The period to which you refer was during the New Year holiday period, approx 30 Dec - 4 Jan.

Nice to see a little give back, well done,

and thank you, i will use the service,

yea we've been stealing from you all year so be grateful for a few days! pathetic

so negative when something is actually done,

that is business, thats how the banks make money .

looking a gift horse etc

Yesterday i took 10k baht from the ATM and of course had to pay 200 baht for the transaction.....BUT i got a voucher of a free coca cola or bag of peanuts at family mart...Yeehaa.

I assume this would just be the Thai bank ATM charge, which I think was 200 Baht, but home country bank charges would still apply. I paid £5.08 in total charges last time I used my bank card at a Thai ATM, of which the Thai bank charge was the highest proportion.

EDIT: Just checked, I paid £4.08 "Non sterling transaction fee" and £1.00 "Non sterling cash fee". I can't recall where I saw the Thai bank fee premised, it may have been a credit card a few years ago.

It states "to help Thai Tourists", I would expect that to mean that the atm fee for withdrawing funds outside of your home bank province is going to be waived (and that's what the article states)...which is a whopping 20 baht isn't it?

yea we've been stealing from you all year so be grateful for a few days! pathetic

looking a gift horse etc

see post 17

looking a gift horse etc

It's one way Thai banks make money. They're way behind the curve with their charging structures.

Free deposits! WOW

Deposits are always free if depositing "within your banking region" but they are not free if using a Cash Deposit Machine like say here in Bangkok to deposit in your Pattaya account. That is one of the fees probably being waived...the "inter-regional deposit via CDM"...and the other other one being inter-regional ATM cash withdrawal.

There is one Thai bank that i know of that allows you to use any other banks ATM's within Thailand and charges no fees for withdrawals.

http://www.lhbank.co.th

Oh, good to know. They're close to my embassy, so will check that out next time in BKK.

HSBC, used to be free, but I think I'm failed the last time I tried.

AFAIK, Citibank is still free of charge, with branches close to Soi Cowboy & Patpong clap2.gif , one can only imagine for what clientele they're looking cheesy.gif

Sorry to say I don't believe the 200 baht charge for using a foreign ATM card is part of this special offer.

More my Mrs will save 25 baht when she draws some money in the village.

What your home country bank charges has nothing to do with Thai Banks Association.

Edited by jacko45k