Money transfer fee waived on New Year

Money transfer fee waived on New Year

BANGKOK:-- Thai Bankers Association's members will waive the fee for the transfers of money via the nationwide ATM network during December 31 and January 3.

This will be applied with same-bank and cross-bank transfers.

"The members agreed to this, to support the tourism industry and the government’s policy," the association said in a statement.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-25

Does this include the transfer from overseas banks via an ATM withdrawal ?

I just can't see the greedy ba..... giving foreigners a break from the 180 / 200 fee

If that was the case, then I am sure that Thaksin and the rest of his family, will be doing a lot of transfers...... If it has not been done already.

I just can't see the greedy ba..... giving foreigners a break from the 180 / 200 fee

That's not really a transfer as it's a withdrawal. Plus it's not between "Thai" bank accounts. But it would be nice if Thai Bankers Assn (a.k.a., the banking Grinch) would waive the ATM withdrawal fee for at least a few days over the holidays.

That's not really a transfer as it's a withdrawal. Plus it's not between "Thai" bank accounts. But it would be nice if Thai Bankers Assn (a.k.a., the banking Grinch) would waive the ATM withdrawal fee for at least a few days over the holidays.

So even online transfers (Thai bank to Thai bank) will not be free, just those done via an ATM machine ?

So even online transfers (Thai bank to Thai bank) will not be free, just those done via an ATM machine ?

ATM/CDM only. For example, here's how Bangkok Bank explains it in their site. Zero mention of ibanking transfers...just ATM/CDM transfers/deposits.

post-55970-0-17958000-1451277814_thumb.j

"The members agreed to this, to support the tourism industry and the government’s policy," the association said in a statement.

Hardly see how this is going to help the tourism industry since tourists who stick their foreign credit and debit cards into ATM's here are still going to be charged handsomely both locally and back home for the "privilege", it seems to me.

Hardly see how this is going to help the tourism industry since tourists who stick their foreign credit and debit cards into ATM's here are still going to be charged handsomely both locally and back home for the "privilege", it seems to me.

Of course, the happiness high is meant for Thai's; not farangs.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, the happiness high is meant for Thai's; not farangs.

Still, instead of giving holiday periods where they lose revenue, how about Thai companies/businesses become more efficient?

ATM transfer fees should be free, especially if you're sending money to another account at the same bank. It shouldn't be based on the amount or the location of the branch. That's just bizarre. Never heard of the Commbank in Australia charging it's Sydney based customers for using their own ATMs that happened to be located in Darwin. But that's how it works in Thailand.

Similarly, instead of toll-free holidays on Thai motorways during New Year and Pii Mai (Songkran) how about eliminating cash payments altogether and moving to a 21st century electronic tolling system so motorists don't get stuck in traffic jams and having to pull our their wallets, all the while toll booth operators risk getting lung cancer working an obsolete dead end job that has long gone the way of the dodo in countries like Australia and should rightly too go the way of the dodo here in Thailand? Why are Thais still forced to live like it's the 1970s?

We adopted electronic tolling in Australia years ago. Ditto for Singapore and even the USA.