Honda Super Cub as a second bike - Drum brakes etc?

I'm after a cheap, new second bike for pottering around - short distances to 7-11 etc., and something I can leave at BTS stations without worrying about it.

I'm thinking of a Super Cub 110 because:

Very functional design

I like to change gear - but the centrifugal clutch is also good in traffic

No power - so can let others use it without worrying

Huge seat - so can carry several passengers

Enclosed chain - all bikes should have this

Classic, authentic retro design

It's cheap (42,000 THB)

100 million buyers can't all be wrong

But .....

What's the drum brake like? Enough power to stop when loaded with several people and shopping?

What's it like crashing up and down the gears with the auto-clutch?

Does it live up to it's reputation for reliability and toughness?

Is the Wave significantly better? I prefer the looks of the Cub, especially in that '1950's kitchen sink' blue or green with beige.

Owners experience or comments from people who've ridden one would be great.

(Like everyone in the World - I've ridden one across muddy fields as a kid (a C70 I think), but that was years ago and it was not exactly a prime example of the breed!)

Yes, a great bike, no under seat storage though, I think they're basically renamed Honda Dream 110cc (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The drum brakes do leave a lot to be desired; another option is the Honda Wave 125cc with disc brakes, much more sensible.

Cubs/Dreams can easily be upgraded to disc brakes, since you can use standard Wave parts.

No tinkering necessary.

Front drum brakes are utter crap and will significantly increase your stopping distance.

Yeah, what sort of an idiot would ride a bike with drum brakes?

I certainly wouldn't:

post-80674-0-41670300-1460052014_thumb.j

Incorrect terminology in the above post, ref front drum brakes, apologies.

4LS is two twin leading shoe brake plates on each side of the hub, generally fitted only on race bikes. Often cast in magnesium.

2LS is a twin leading shoe brake plate as fitted to most upmarket and faster road bikes, some race bikes. Bestest example i have experience of, being the '68-70 Triumph 500-650 twins and 750 triples.

Single leading shoe is what is fitted to run of the mill workhorses and cheapo bikes.

I got a nearly new second hand Suzuki 110 Shooter.. I saved approximately 14k off the new price.. It only had 884km on the clock..DELETED just a little operation that work from home.. Good prices, good bikes.

PM FOR DETAILS

Edited by seedy
remove web address

Cubs/Dreams can easily be upgraded to disc brakes, since you can use standard Wave parts.

No tinkering necessary.

Front drum brakes are utter crap and will significantly increase your stopping distance.

Thanks ..... adding a front disc would be ideal, but I guess this would mean replacing the front wheel and forks?

Or I suppose I could just buy a Wave!

But is the drum brake on the Cub really so bad?

No tinkering necessary.

Thanks ..... adding a front disc would be ideal, but I guess this would mean replacing the front wheel and forks?

Or I suppose I could just buy a Wave!

But is the drum brake on the Cub really so bad?

YES.. The leading link drum setup feels terrible!

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to do with braking as with a properly set up drum one can lift the rear wheel of a old Lambretta when stopping.

However a disc brake is easier to put a lock on when leaving a bike at the BTS. That being said you will need to put a bicycle chain locks on the rear wheel anyway so why not have drum brake on the front and buy two bicycle locks?

Disc brakes on motorbikes are so good they have to put ABS on them! Honda Cub comes with ABS designed in whistling.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

Get a Wave 110 i cc with disc brake .I have one .Great little bike ,frugal with the fuel injection ,and cheap to buy new .( if you prefer electric start it costs about B2,500 ,over the basic price .) Plenty of power for around town .I am 90 kg and it seems powerful enough even with a passenger .

• 1 year later...

Finally got around to buying a Super Cub. (Don't like to rush into things! ?).  I was going to wait for the new 125 Cub with the disc brake, but that could be a long wait in Thailand, and as they cost less than an iPhone and hold their value, I can always upgrade in the future.  

Dropped in to Honda on Rama 4, they had the full range of colours and some accessories such as the bag that straps on the seat, a rack and a 'Super Cub' bottle holder.  They prepped it while I was signing passport and Work Permit copies, and I was away on my new Cub in about 30 minutes. 

The shop owner said he knows someone who can do the disk brake conversion for me, as the shop is not allowed to modify the bikes because they are an official Honda dealer.

I checked oil, tyre pressures, lights - all OK, but I tightened the brake adjusters a couple of turns as the lever was almost touching the bar before the gentle retarding starts (can't really call it braking).

It's a very pleasant little bike to ride.  I'm not a fan of full auto cvt transmissions on bikes, so I like the semi auto system on the Super Cub.  But down shifting seems to be an art?  I think I need to release the downshift pedal slowly, as it seems to have a clutch, as well as matching the revs, otherwise the down-change is a helmet crashing lurch with a passenger?  Any tips from the Wave and Cub veterans?

And first gear seems redundant?  Shifting down into first on the move is always an uncomfortable experience, and the engine is so happy slogging away at low revs it pull away happily in any gear.

Upshifts are fun, and I'm sure that a semi-auto with chain drive is quicker than an elastic band cvt bike of the same engine size.

Handling is good, and well within the capabilities of It's modest power, and it can tackle the rough Bangkok roads well. 

The 4000 km service costs 120 THB, 100 THB fills the underrseat tank, the old style bulb headlight is surprisingly bright, and the mirrors are effective.

I know a Wave is a better bike, but I like the retro looks of the Super Cub, and 110 c.c or 125 c.c is still next to nothing, but enough for city riding.

I usually use a motorcycle taxi to get to work, so the main use is for daily commuting.  Next year I'll be replacing the CRF with something a bit bigger, and I won't want to leave that outside the office in the sun all day - so I'll be Cubbing to work.20171216_140301.thumb.jpg.5bb7c02c26ca2ab6d565b47c3069b692.jpg

11 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

I think I need to release the downshift pedal slowly, as it seems to have a clutch,

It does have a clutch. Well Ok two clutches The gear change one is disengaged when you push/pull on the gear shift. For smoothness you need to adjust the revs too suit. If you have a young son he will show you how to use the gear change clutch to do a wheelie.:smile:

Brake conversion is easy if you must. You simply need new forks, a new wheel with disc, new lever with reservoir etc. :whistling: 

You can even fit upside down forks if you want.:cool: 

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a cheap bike it has to be a 110cc Wave with kick start and drum brakes, drums work better in the wet since there is little chance of a front wheel lock up.

I think this base model is still B34k which is what we paid for ours 8 years ago, 200mpg and very cheap maintenance and ours still starts first prod, even after months of recumbency. Parts, a set of tyres, chain/sprockets and oil, that's it in 8 years. We have other bikes but MrsB prefers using it if she is on her own.

There is no cheaper bike to buy and run and as a second bike that may not be used regularly, it will be ideal.

Edited by AllanB

2017 - 18 almost - and you would consider drum brakes ??? For the rear OK, but disc in the front - always.

Looking Retro is OK - why would you want Retro performance ?

BIL just bought a Dream - I asked him why ?  He said Wave disc front brake too powerful !

Learn to ride.

12 hours ago, canthai55 said:

2017 - 18 almost - and you would consider drum brakes ??? For the rear OK, but disc in the front - always.

Looking Retro is OK - why would you want Retro performance ?

BIL just bought a Dream - I asked him why ?  He said Wave disc front brake too powerful !

Learn to ride.

What is wrong with drum brakes on a low power/speed bike?

The problem with a front disc brake is that the disc/pad is dry while the road/tyre is wet, so lock up is easier. This is a back up bike not the daily street racer, a bike that may be ridden by anyone, experienced or not.

Why not make life easy, aren't there enough hazards on Thai roads to cope with?

Never had one incident on the Wave, neither has the Mrs or anyone else who has borrowed it.

22 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Learn to ride.

10 hours ago, AllanB said:

What is wrong with drum brakes on a low power/speed bike?

The problem with a front disc brake is that the disc/pad is dry while the road/tyre is wet, so lock up is easier.

Power of the bike has SFA to do with it. The speed you travel does. And the weight of the machine you are trying to stop.

Low powered Wave with a 120kg rider - and your significant other, 4 bags of shopping hanging from the handlebars while the passenger carries another two. Do the math.

Disc front brake will always win, every time, in every situation. Barring travel 24/7 at 10 kph

10 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Power of the bike has SFA to do with it. The speed you travel does. And the weight of the machine you are trying to stop.

Low powered Wave with a 120kg rider - and your significant other, 4 bags of shopping hanging from the handlebars while the passenger carries another two. Do the math.

Disc front brake will always win, every time, in every situation. Barring travel 24/7 at 10 kph

I don't know how to "do the math" please explain the formula I should use for disc versus drum on a Wave? 

Who has 4 bags on the handlebars and weighs 120kg, where are getting this information from?

Travelling 24/7 at 10kph, who does that and how do they stay awake?

Sorry mate you lost me.....anyway happy new year and safe riding.

I rode Wave many moons ago, the semi-autos are fun except downshifting as you said, I found the best is to delay the downshift way way later than you do with bikes with clutch, because with clutch you can control it a lot better.... stay in higher gear until you almost stop or want to accelerate again... 

On 29/12/2017 at 7:27 AM, canthai55 said:

I only use my Super Cub in central Bangkok - so 10 KPH 24/7 sounds about right.

On 29/12/2017 at 6:52 PM, Agusts said:

I rode Wave many moons ago, the semi-autos are fun except downshifting as you said, I found the best is to delay the downshift way way later than you do with bikes with clutch, because with clutch you can control it a lot better.... stay in higher gear until you almost stop or want to accelerate again... 

I have to say I now ride the Wave very badly and often find myself in the wrong gear, being used to a scooter or a "performance bike". Having that 4th to neutral facility makes me think "well I going to stop soon" and it is quite forgiving if you are just poodling around.