Mtv? Vh1? Wtf?

nephilim

Hey...

Did I miss a newsflash?

As of today, UBC no longer carry VH1 or MTV Thailand... one of the major TV providers has dumped it's own country specific MTV?

It's not that I can't live without them, it just seems like a really strange choice of channels to get rid of, to "make way" for the godawful games channel (and christ, I am a gamer, and I say that) and that new music channel.

I suppose it makes sense, though, in keeping with Thailand's current one-stupid-idea / month.

I think that is a very unfair comment regarding Thailand. Remember that most of us are visitors here, and we always have the option of returning to our own country if we don't like what's on offer here.

Thank you. Next time I want your opinion on something other than my question, I will give it to you.

Hey...

Did I miss a newsflash?

As of today, UBC no longer carry VH1 or MTV Thailand... one of the major TV providers has dumped it's own country specific MTV?

The story was posted here.

Cheers for that. Doing a search on the forum for MTV didn't bring that up for it.

Sure does feel like yet more xenophobia, as said over there. Not really bothered about MTV, but VH1 was always good background sounds.

Neph

I think that is a very unfair comment regarding Thailand. Remember that most of us are visitors here, and we always have the option of returning to our own country if we don't like what's on offer here.

:o:D

Youngkiwi must be either a ) very young, b ) very new in thailand or c ) both of those. It's almost "cute" or "sweet".

Edited by nephilim

Its funny how usernames cause people to assume. The fact is I'm not so young and I've probably been in Thailand for longer than most of you.

And you *still* don't know better than to be an ugly little forum troll who finds threads he has nothing to say on, and posts comments that are worthless and pointless, in order to give his pathetic little life some meaning?

Wow.

Hey...

Did I miss a newsflash?

They have both moved to another satellite called ABS-1 the old lmi satellite, near Thaicom 5, where both these and many others including UKTV Granada are free to view right now

:o:D

Youngkiwi must be either a ) very young, b ) very new in thailand or c ) both of those. It's almost "cute" or "sweet".

Young kiwi is the symbol(hero?) of that new trend of poster in TV ... He is simply or thai and coming here to invite us to leave the country, or a brain washed foreigner relaxed from the IDC in the only purpose to 'convert' the other farangs

There is since some time a bunch of people who are obviously not the usual poster (expats living in Thailand, or foreigners looking to come here), but well educated thai people who comes to evengelise (spelling??????) us on how sabai sabai things are, and on if yo udo not like it then go out, if you like itm they spend money and go out too.

It's not personal attack/flamming against Youngkiwi (and if I am wrong I apologize) but a true fact, browse a lottle bit any 'sharp' conversations, all end by you are a guest.

If I am a guest, I would love to not pay my rent, my electricity, my water bill, my taxes, the tea money to the local police station .... As guest, I have to have things for free (definition of the word guest). But as migrant I do have to pay those bills (And more), but on the same time I do have some right, like at least express a non politic opinion in a free forum (with repect for the rules of the forum).

I hate, positively hate, the word GUEST .... why not call us HAPPY CAMPER????????????????

Hey...

Did I miss a newsflash?

It's not that I can't live without them, it just seems like a really strange choice of channels to get rid of, to "make way" for the godawful games channel (and christ, I am a gamer, and I say that) and that new music channel.

I suppose it makes sense, though, in keeping with Thailand's current one-stupid-idea / month.

YR RIGHT ON THE MONEY...... IT GOES ALONG WITH THE STUPID ANTI FARANG SEDIMENT!!!! THEY (ubc) WHERE PROBABLY PRESSURED BY THE GOVT !!!!!

YR RIGHT ON THE MONEY...... IT GOES ALONG WITH THE STUPID ANTI FARANG SEDIMENT!!!! THEY (ubc) WHERE PROBABLY PRESSURED BY THE GOVT !!!!!

Not .....

MTV and VH1 join Smile TV

From http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/02/bus...ss_30017760.php

Switch to smaller cable network in bid to win local viewers

Popular music channels MTV and VH1, which recently left the UBC network, have joined an alternative cable package operated by the Smile TV network to compete for local viewers.

Ong-art Prapakamol, deputy CEO for commercial operations at UBC-True, cited changes in consumer viewing behaviour - specifically the surging demand for Thai pop music and documentaries - as the main reason to stop broadcasting MTV Thailand and VH1.

He said that as a response to the new trend, UBC had added three new channels devoted to documentaries: Explore 1, Explore 2 and Explore 3. The arrival of the two new music channels Ma Jung and True Music was said to force the cable operator to reduce the number of music channels for fear of programmes clashing.

Vilasinee Chivanond, managing director of Media Communication Network Co, the Thai owner of MTV Thailand and Smile TV Network, called the break-up a result of inconclusive business negotiations. She said, however, the deal benefited both parties, because MTV wanted to move from an exclusive audience of almost 500,000 households to a mass audience base.

MTV and VH1 said the move represented their new business model after the five-year exclusive contract with UBC ended on Tuesday. The termination was announced on Tuesday evening, and before midnight both channels faded to black.

UBC enjoys a monopoly on cable television services in the Kingdom, being the only major operator with more than 400,000 subscribers.

Smitthi Bhiraleus, general manager of Music Television Networks Co (MTV Thailand), said the Smile TV network would offer an eight-channel package direct to both individual viewers and small community cable operators.

Besides MTV and VH1, the package will include Nickelodeon (children's entertainment), Moviemania (movies), Popper (pop culture), Rakthai TV (luk thung music), Panorama 07 (documentaries) and World Fashion Thailand (fashion).

He said individual customers could subscribe to the entertainment programmes directly at home through the installation of a direct-to-home (DTH) dish and set-top box. Individual customers need to buy a smart card for the set-top box to view the programmes. They can view the programmes from now for free for at least a month.

Smitthi said that with the new business format, the company could increase viewership for MTV, VH1 and other entertainment programmes in its package from about 500,000 households subscribing to UBC to more than a million households in the first 12 months. Each household would cover about 3.5 individual members on average.

Smitthi said the company would focus on satellite channels at first, in order to make all of the programmes in its package recognised by local viewers, before expanding to other broadcasting channels like IPTV and broadband.

Vilasinee Chivanond, managing director of Smile TV Networks, said the royalty charged to cable operators would be different, based on their subscriber numbers. The smart card will also be available for individual viewers for about Bt200 and Bt300, valid for one month.

"We expect larger revenues will come from sponsorship in the near future once we enjoy a large viewer base," she said.

Earlier, MTV and VH1 were exclusive to the UBC network. The new "non-exclusive" model has been used successfully by MTV in China and South Korea to expand viewership.

"The new business model is aimed at serving mass viewers who would like to watch good-quality programmes but cannot afford the high-priced premium-package programmes on UBC," said Smitthi.

"This move will help us transform ourselves into a content provider and move our entertainment content through many channels that more viewers can access," he said.

He said there were now about 300 local cable operators serving more than 2 million households. There were also over 1 million households that have installed their own DTH satellite system.

DTH is an encrypted transmission that travels directly through a satellite to the consumer, who receives it through a small dish antenna. The encrypted transmission is decoded by a set-top box.

"Our programme content will be free-to-air for the first month, and then we'll charge the cable operators a monthly royalty fee," said Smitthi