Chinese Food In Bangkok

corkscrew

when I was in Beijing some years ago they useta make a broth from the duck carcass and serve it at the end of the meal as an aide to digestion...quite good. What about the Chang Palace?

Yes, I remember that, too. But Chang Palace did not do that. Good point...I wonder why? Also, another point about the wording of the menu:

Though the city of Peking became Beijing many years ago because of some arcane rule of transliteration, most of the world's menus have kept the dish as Peking Duck...I guess Peking sounds a little more like something that the Last Emperor would have eaten; while Beijing might be found on the table of The Gang of Four.

does anyone know what its called when you put the duck meat into the pancakes instead of making the duck into another dish???

i tried explaining in to a thai friend, but Peking Duck was the only answer.

are they called Duck Pancakes? and does anyone know a restaurant i can get them in BKK.

thanks

do you mean putting the duck MEAT in the pancake as opposed to just the duck SKIN?

If it's the meat, the dish you are referring to is probably CRISPY AROMATIC DUCK with pancakes. You get the hoi sin sauce, pancakes, cucumber/spring onion just like in Peking duck, but the duck is deepfried and they shred skin and meat together for you. I've only had it at Tidbit Treasure in Bangkok - it was OK - I'm sure there are other places.

I did have Peking Duck at the China House at the Oriental - that was pretty good (though too much for 2 people :o) How much did it cost at the Chang Palace?

Edited by bkkmei

do you mean putting the duck MEAT in the pancake as opposed to just the duck SKIN?

If it's the meat, the dish you are referring to is probably CRISPY AROMATIC DUCK with pancakes. You get the hoi sin sauce, pancakes, cucumber/spring onion just like in Peking duck, but the duck is deepfried and they shred skin and meat together for you. I've only had it at Tidbit Treasure in Bangkok - it was OK - I'm sure there are other places.

I did have Peking Duck at the China House at the Oriental - that was pretty good (though too much for 2 people :o) How much did it cost at the Chang Palace?

By the way, The China House at The Oriental is about to reopen after extensive rennovations. The Chang Palace charged 1,100b.

Though my favorite hotel is The Oriental we wind up many times eating at the Shangri-La as it is just across the street.

Have you tried Galleria....near the Portugese embassy? Good Thai food.

I've heard of this dish referred to as plain 'ol crispy duck...as previously described, same plum sauce, pancakes and garnishes as Peeking Duck but the meat deep fried after initial cooking...tasty

• 2 weeks later...

perhaps some explanation is warranted at this stage. peking duck as you would have it in beijing (ie the original recipe) is served with some meat attached to the skin and makes for a heartier (though less crispy) serving.

the peking duck that you now commonly find in chinese restaurants around the world is really "peking" only in inspiration but otherwise very cantonese in style. most cuisine class chinese restaurants around the world (including asia) are opened by the "cantonese" chinese coming mainly from hong kong.

cantonese cuisine from hong kong is probably the most refined for "cuisine" eating because in recent decades cantonese chefs from the free world were able to develop their art under the patronage of the free market. having said that, chinese chefs from china have improved leaps and bounds in recent years, and it is good to see a revival of Shandong cuisine, traditionally the choice cuisine for the emperor.

anyway, free world cantonese chefs, in seeking to further refine the peking duck, tried to focus the pancake experience around the crispy skin of the duck, removing all meat and leaving only the skin and a thin layer of fat. the meat proper is separately stir fried with other ingredients like celery, cashew nuts, and water chestnuts to render a more flavourful and textured dish which is eaten with lettuce. the cantonese call this other dish "sang choy pao" or "fresh lettuce wrap" in direct translation.

perhaps some explanation is warranted at this stage. peking duck as you would have it in beijing (ie the original recipe) is served with some meat attached to the skin and makes for a heartier (though less crispy) serving.

the peking duck that you now commonly find in chinese restaurants around the world is really "peking" only in inspiration but otherwise very cantonese in style. most cuisine class chinese restaurants around the world (including asia) are opened by the "cantonese" chinese coming mainly from hong kong.

cantonese cuisine from hong kong is probably the most refined for "cuisine" eating because in recent decades cantonese chefs from the free world were able to develop their art under the patronage of the free market. having said that, chinese chefs from china have improved leaps and bounds in recent years, and it is good to see a revival of Shandong cuisine, traditionally the choice cuisine for the emperor.

anyway, free world cantonese chefs, in seeking to further refine the peking duck, tried to focus the pancake experience around the crispy skin of the duck, removing all meat and leaving only the skin and a thin layer of fat. the meat proper is separately stir fried with other ingredients like celery, cashew nuts, and water chestnuts to render a more flavourful and textured dish which is eaten with lettuce. the cantonese call this other dish "sang choy pao" or "fresh lettuce wrap" in direct translation.

Thank you for that very imformative reply. You are so right about some meat being left with the skin. When I first visited Beijing in 1981 I had duck served that way at the old Peking Hotel...in the old wing. You just brought back some good memories. AND some bad memories: the communal dining where at least one person at the big round table had a cold and through spoon sharing he shared his cold with everyone else.

Thank you for that very imformative reply. You are so right about some meat being left with the skin. When I first visited Beijing in 1981 I had duck served that way at the old Peking Hotel...in the old wing. You just brought back some good memories. AND some bad memories: the communal dining where at least one person at the big round table had a cold and through spoon sharing he shared his cold with everyone else.

My pleasure. I'm sorry to inform that the communal dining habits of the average Chinese national has not improved much in the last 25 years. If you ever have the misfortune of being made to share a table with locals in a provincial restaurant, you'd know what i mean.