Koh Larn Water Shortage Worsens Amid Heat Wave

webfact

image.jpeg

File photo for reference only.

Thailand's island of Koh Larn, just off Pattaya's coast, is grappling with severe water scarcity due to an ongoing heat wave. Inhabitants and tourists alike struggle with a shortage of clean, drinkable water, as the supply fails to meet burgeoning demand.

Kanchanop Sukkee, a Koh Larn resident, detailed how the scarcity has driven the tap water prices high. A ton of water generally costs 150 baht, with a delivery truck carrying 2 tons costing 300 baht.

However, due to the current heat wave, prices have soared to 350-400 baht round per delivery. In extreme situations like now, prices have rocketed to over 1,000-1,200 baht per round.

This spike in water prices is burdensome for the local inhabitants and businesses. The community is urging the responsible authorities to mitigate the water crisis, preferably by enhancing water production and improving the distribution network.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-01

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Still, wasting millions of gallons on Songkran was worth it.

Yes, the kids thought so...

It is like the traffic, bad air, accidents, blah blah. No plan, just talk and hope it goes away.

Water may be one of the most important resources in the world. What is their strategy for the future? Zero.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

No ice at the Koh Larn 7/11 yesterday.

The lack of infrastructure is killing Koh Larn now because of the influx of tourists.

They really need to build a cargo dock outside Naban village so that unloading of supplies doesn't block tourist boats and vice versa. And that vehicles carrying cargo from the ships don't have to wend their way through crowds of tourists.

21 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Same same every year.

I don't mean to be picky but this year the heat and lack of rain is exceptional. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I don't mean to be picky but this year the heat and lack of rain is exceptional. 

No it isnt, had  worse in Pranburi about 6 years  ago maxed out at 43.5 but the following 3-4 years have been really good for rain didnt go over 39 and  not as hot as those 2-3 years of higher heat. This year 6 days at 41c so far and  drier than the previous 3-4

Pranburi/Prachuap is already one of the driest provinces in Thailand. Of course unlike the govt here I planned for this when I moved there with two deepwater wells and a one rai lake and all rainfall is collected into that lake via  various channels......one receievd 750,000 views on tik tok with numerous  comments in Thai asking me how I did it and maybe to run for governer of Bangkok.......they didnt know I was a dirty Flang though  

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

47 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

No it isnt, had  worse in Pranburi about 6 years  ago maxed out at 43.5 but the following 3-4 years have been really good for rain didnt go over 39 and  not as hot as those 2-3 years of higher heat. This year 6 days at 41c so far and  drier than the previous 3-4

Nowhere near Koh Larn..... stop looking for arguments!

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The middle age foreign kids most on holiday here so won’t bear the consequences of the water shortage.

Exactly 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Maybe but the same thing has happened in the past time and time again. Seems really stupid to me that a country celebrates annually with a water festival during it's hottest/driest days. They shouldn't have water shortages in Thailand if they planned ahead. As I said 'same same every year.'

20 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Maybe but the same thing has happened in the past time and time again. Seems really stupid to me that a country celebrates annually with a water festival during it's hottest/driest days. They shouldn't have water shortages in Thailand if they planned ahead. As I said 'same same every year.'

Well  Songkran is often slated as marking the end of the dry season, no so this year. I agree Koh Larn has this issue every year. I may have missed a lot of previous heat waves though as April used to be my UK trip times past. 

• Confused 1

On 5/1/2024 at 1:39 AM, mikebell said:

Still, wasting millions of gallons on Songkran was worth it.

It was fun, fun, fun 'till her daddy takes the T-bird away.