Forget the drought, Thailand's national water fight is on

webfact

Forget the drought, Thailand's national water fight is on
JOCELYN GECKER, Associated Press

BANGKOK (AP) — Drought? What drought? Bring out the water guns!

Thailand may be going through its driest period in 20 years. But the country's military government wants visitors from around the globe to know that the biggest water fight in the world is still on.

So, get your buckets, hoses and other gear ready for the three-day nationwide street party that begins Wednesday to mark the Thai New Year.

"We can still use water for the new year festival. It's not that dry," said a government spokesman, Sansern Kaewkamnerd. The government has instructed the Tourism Ministry to make sure foreign tourists don't misunderstand the severity of the drought and cancel holiday plans out of concerns the water supply will be cut off, he said.

After all, there are millions of dollars at stake.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand expects this year's holiday will generate more than 15 billion baht ($427 million) for the tourism sector and attract half a million visitors in a span of five days.

Songkran, as the festival is known, has the spirit of a soggy Mardi Gras and is a major tourist attraction. Revelers line the streets, or prowl the roads in pickup trucks, armed with water guns and plastic bowls and douse anyone in sight. Some areas are closed to traffic for wet and wild street parties with loud music, booze and dancing.

Rare controversy has preceded this year's water fight, with environmentalists and other critics calling for festivities to be curtailed.

"Instead of mindlessly wasting water, New Year revelers should be mindful of the crushing drought," The Nation newspaper said in an editorial last week calling for "a dry Songkran" to show solidarity with the country's farmers.

Seventeen of Thailand's 77 provinces have been declared drought zones with the lowest level of rainfall in more than two decades. Farmers have been ordered to curtail their water use and scale back planting. Tap-water rationing is in effect in certain provinces.

And yet Thailand's military government is playing down the dry spell and says it is powerless to crimp such a popular national holiday.

"As the prime minister has said, Songkran brings happiness to the Thai people, and canceling it would be too difficult," Sansern said.

A ban would also be hugely unpopular both with Thais and tourists.

In past promotions, the tourism authority has played up the party scene, urging tourists "to get wet and wild" and "be part of the largest street water fight the world has to offer." In 2011, TAT used the holiday to organize a Guinness World Record attempt for the world's largest water pistol fight, drawing more than 3,400 people to a 10-minute shootout in central Bangkok.

The prime minister, a former general who has dictatorial powers after toppling a civilian government in 2014, has bristled at the notion of canceling Songkran.

"I will not ban water throwing, that's impossible," Prayuth Chan-ocha, the prime minister, said in response to a proposal for government controls on holiday water use. He added dismissively, "Parents should teach their children to use less water and not splash it around for three days and three nights."

Prayuth is calling for strict measures this year during the festivities, but not related to water rationing. The junta is putting a damper on dancing and indecent attire, saying specifically that women and trans-genders who show too much skin will face arrest.

"I have told officials, police and soldiers that there should be no women — or transgender women — dressed provocatively or dancing on the backs of trucks," Prayuth said. "If they do, they will be arrested."

Environmentalists say the government should get its priorities straight.

"The government should tell people the truth that the drought is bad. They should not try to cover up the truth," said Smith Thammasaroj, chairman of the Foundation of National Disaster Warning Council. "If people keep thinking we have enough water, it could badly hurt agriculture and farmers."

"They shouldn't worry about clothing and covering up the body," he said. "They should worry about the drought."

Some cities, including Bangkok, have taken it upon themselves to dilute this year's festivities.

Bangkok city hall has ordered a 9 p.m. curfew on water fights and is trying to keep the festival to three days, excluding the weekend — measures that it says will save 5 billion liters (1.3 billion gallons) of water.

Chief adviser to the Bangkok governor, Wanlop Suwandee, made a highly publicized proposal that party goers put down their guns and instead use handheld spray bottles, the kind that one uses on indoor plants to make leaves wet.

The idea struck many as laughable in a city where water guns are not mere pistols, but large pump machine guns often with water storage tanks worn as backpacks.

A 22-year old university student, Krit Pongchaiassawin, said he has no plan to enter into battle firing a gentle mist.

"Are you kidding me?" said Krit, while shopping for a water gun at a Bangkok outdoor market. "I would get laughed off the street if I had a spray bottle. People would see that and just dump more water on me."
___

Associated Press Writer Nattasuda Anusonadisai contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-11

Just had a Tessaban truck drive slowly through my village making a very loud announcement over big speakers, that water throwing is not authorized this year due to extreme drought conditions.

Edited by 55Jay

"I will not ban water throwing, that's impossible," Prayuth Chan-ocha, the prime minister, said in response to a proposal for government controls on holiday water use. He added dismissively, "Parents should teach their children to use less water and not splash it around for three days and three nights."

1. I am weak.

2. I didn't think ahead/or I just didn't think.

3. Mods, please don't ban me. wai.gif

Despite this terrible drought I welcome the 2 day's water splashing to cool down a little bit from this massive melting heat. hit-the-fan.gif

Can't you just take a quick shower to cool off?

If, come July, millions of people turn on the shower and nothing comes out, that may cause some self-reflection. Maybe not. Self analysis seems to be lacking here at times, along with logic and foresight.

Edited by 55Jay

Despite this terrible drought I welcome the 2 day's water splashing to cool down a little bit from this massive melting heat. hit-the-fan.gif

If, come July, millions of people turn on the shower and nothing comes out, that may cause some self-reflection. Maybe not. Self analysis seems to be lacking here at times, along with logic and foresight

I am sorry you struggle with logic and foresight. There are only 16 provinces with a drought. The others don't have a problem. There isn't just one water supply in Thailand.

This "drought" is being overplayed by the Songkran haters. If we had flooding there would still be people calling for it to be banned on thaivisa as every year. Some even claim it is bad for tourism which is a joke.

Most Thais work hard in the heat all year. It is their water, they can do what they bloody like with it.

If you are really concerned about the drought, then go back to your own country until it is over and stop using the Thai farmers water. I reckon you will use more water showering, washing clothes over the next few months than a Thai person will splashing a bit of water around for a day on his holiday.

Have your showers back in your own country.

How would you like it if Thais visited your country and told you to forget about Xmas, so as to save the trees (wrapping paper). ? Would you laugh at them?

Thai bashers hate Songkran, because there is nothing worse seeing someone you hate having a good time.

Just had a Tessaban truck drive slowly through my village making a very loud announcement over big speakers, that water throwing is not authorized this year due to extreme drought conditions.

I take it there aren't too many tourists to scare off around your way?

Thailand: hub of lies and delusion.

Agree with roomuck, why do the expats get so worried about the huge waste of water? lets keep it in context the water authorities say they have to release an extra 100,000 m3 at Songran, given that the Mekong flow rate is between 16,000 to 360,000m3/sec go into the sea, so Songran wastes less than a minute of the Mekong flowarate!

I wouldn't stand by any of these figures but they give a rough idea of the waste taking place!

Little enough Sanuk in the working Thai life, let them have some fun smile.png

If, come July, millions of people turn on the shower and nothing comes out, that may cause some self-reflection. Maybe not. Self analysis seems to be lacking here at times, along with logic and foresight

I am sorry you struggle with logic and foresight. There are only 16 provinces with a drought. The others don't have a problem. There isn't just one water supply in Thailand.

This "drought" is being overplayed by the Songkran haters. If we had flooding there would still be people calling for it to be banned on thaivisa as every year. Some even claim it is bad for tourism which is a joke.

Most Thais work hard in the heat all year. It is their water, they can do what they bloody like with it.

If you are really concerned about the drought, then go back to your own country until it is over and stop using the Thai farmers water. I reckon you will use more water showering, washing clothes over the next few months than a Thai person will splashing a bit of water around for a day on his holiday.

How would you like it if Thais visited your country and told you to forget about Xmas, so as to save the trees (wrapping paper). ? Would you laugh at them?

Thai bashers hate Songkran, because there is nothing worse seeing someone you hate having a good time.

Excellent.

This article totally contradicts what the Head Honcho has been preaching the last few days...anyone surprised?...Total mayhem as usual here

It doesn't contradict anything about the Songkran celebrations at all.

Over the past couple of weeks it has been confirmed many times that the water throwing can go ahead without causing significant problems with water stocks.

The only "mayhem" is in the minds of the contradictory posters here.

And you put this story with the one about the Lampang fish, which might well be repeated elsewhere, and the lies being told about the dam levels, and the possibility La Nina will not produce torrential downpours before July; and you think bread, circuses, street showers and more cash please do not a serious country make. But hey!

If, come July, millions of people turn on the shower and nothing comes out, that may cause some self-reflection. Maybe not. Self analysis seems to be lacking here at times, along with logic and foresight.

And come July when your alarmist attitude is proved to be just that and most peoples taps work perfectly normally will that cause you to make some self-reflection? Maybe not, self analysis seems to be lacking here at Thaivisa all of the time.

Agree with roomuck, why do the expats get so worried about the huge waste of water? lets keep it in context the water authorities say they have to release an extra 100,000 m3 at Songran, given that the Mekong flow rate is between 16,000 to 360,000m3/sec go into the sea, so Songran wastes less than a minute of the Mekong flowarate!

I wouldn't stand by any of these figures but they give a rough idea of the waste taking place!

Thanks for some actual facts. I was going to add some to my post, like how much is actually used on golf courses every single day, how little water gets used domestically compared to industry and farming etc etc but I thought that it would only confuse the anti songkran crowd even more than they already are.

They just can't see the big picture. I am not sure if it is because of their upbringings in cotton wool, or the substandard education system in their home countries or their western food diets. I think I will blame it on their mothers and them not wanting to take responsibility for their actions.

Perhaps their mothers should have taught them some manners, being uninvited guests and all. It is a bit like gate crashing a party and then wanting to change the music because it doesn't suit you. Rude people really. That should learn to shut the .... up.

Happy Thai New Year!!!!

Its ok as long as Bangkok has water forget about those out in the countryside loading barrows up with water from the local wells because the taps have run dry.

This is not about Bangkok having sufficient supply, the majority of provinces around the country have enough to continue supplies.

Even if Bangkok didn't use one more drop of water it wouldn't make any difference to those areas, they have completely separate water supplies.

Edited by Scouse Twoccer

How does the water from the Mekong fill the various dams/lakes and such around scattered around Thailand that are used for water supply ?

Edited by Don Mega

And you put this story with the one about the Lampang fish, which might well be repeated elsewhere, and the lies being told about the dam levels, and the possibility La Nina will not produce torrential downpours before July; and you think bread, circuses, street showers and more cash please do not a serious country make. But hey!

Songkran doesn't start until Wednesday in Lampang.

So how can you blame this on Songkran.

You have proved yourself wrong.

Don't let dates and facts get in the way of a good story though.

How does the water from the Mekong fill the various dams/lakes and such around scattered around Thailand that are used for water supply ?

Pipes

Pipes

So why are the dams/lakes low then, did someone forget to open some valves ?

I've acknowledged that previously, or somewhere else recently.

The fact WMA is having to make predictions about how long BKK water resource will last, is a clear indication there is a problem. They've said repeatedly there is a problem. They called on all people to conserve water.

This isn't about Songkran being a waste of water, which it is, even when there is plenty of water.

It is about a lack of leadership. The inability to make correct decisions, even if they are unpopular.

If the taps start to run dry in July, people will say slag off the government for not doing more to protect the people from their own childish stupidity. Thainess may prevent the government from admitting their own foolishness, but a few of them might realize they were cowards back in April.

Korat still has water in many areas, and could likely support a Songkran, but the guy in charge stood up, told the people the truth, and said sorry folks, we can't afford to do it this year.

That takes guts and leadership.