its no joke superstitions and mumbo jumbo here

opalred

As long as the "Mumbo-Jumbo" happens in Thailand, not rally a problem.

But taking the "Bride" back to the home-country, to be introduce to the "Farang-Family", things may take on a new dimension. In the long run, there are 3 things that can not be hidden:

Generally, the over consumption of garlic. (Universal).

Specifically, but not any less significant

- Apparently. the "Bride" believes in ghosts. (This is the year of the Lord of 2016).

- Although working in a Thai Bank before, the "Bride's" mathematical skills are dismal.

At this point, a senior member of the Farang Family will have a heart to heart talk with the returning "lost son",

"Harry, we told you that in a tropical climate you always have to wear a hat, if you want to keep your Solar-Plexus from long term damage."

When the British colonized India, they always wore hats of some kind. They suffered no long-term mental damage as history shows. Most Farangs, visiting Thailand do not wear hats.

2+2 equals 4 ?

Cheers.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just read a interesting book about Thai Buddhism, the animism and superstition in Thai Buddhism.

"Phra farang" from an English Monk in Thailand. "Phra Peter Pannapadipo" (he's Monk Name)

he's Real name is Peter Robinson....

Best regards.

My wife's friend who lives in Chiang Mai, we live in Isaan, rang her up one day and told her that she had dreamed of something evil happening to her. She is very superstitious so off we went to a hermit monk who lives in a small hut in the hills near the boarder, he is very popular and is often visited by the people in our area. He impressed me, very casual, he just asked the wife,"What's up now". She explained and he took her gold necklace and mine and placed them in a bowl of blessed water, he sat for about 10 minuets seemingly in trance then told the wife she has something evil in the house which has been brought in by her two daughters, then aged 10 and 5. We drove back home and she thought and thought and eventually went to a photo in a frame of her two daughters that had been given to them recently by her ex husband. She took the photo from the frame and on the back were written ancient runes as a curse that she should die a painful death. She informed the monk who told her to burn it while praying. Since then i have become a little superstitious myself.

very Impressive story,..! thx for sharing.

Long time ago, in my backpacking days. I met a big older Hippy like American fortune teller with some amulets and things on he's neck, several times on the road from Jog Jakarta, Penang, koh Samui, Chiang Mai, and other places...(The Hippy trail) he used to impress people by telling about there lives and problems....Until one of my friends saw him in Samui in a dark corner of a bar while some Farangs were talking about there lives and problems on the counter.

the next day he was talking to one of those guys and the guy was very surprised that everything he said about he's life was spot on....that's just the way he made he's money...saw him a few more times over a couple years and then never again...

Best regards.Off Road Pat.

one more different one,

My wife is well educated and absolutely not superstitious, and needer am I, but she tells me some stories from her families that are absolutely amazing....

this one happened to my father in law, in the middle of land ownership intrigues...My father in law was working on he's land when he found a broken alms bows berried into he's land (meant to be found) this is something done by somebody that wishes you bad luck..he tried to retrieve it to bring back to the temple to brake the spell. He broke a small shovel trying to retrieve it. He put the broken shovel peace into he's Breast pocket in front of he's heart to repair later. while going to the temple to bring back the broken alms bowl , somebody well hidden shot at him...the bullet hit the broken shovel in he's breast pocket....witch saved him...lucky for him he had only a big red spot on he's chest, only one bullet was shot...but the land dispute intrigues continued .....

Edited by off road pat

your wife's belief is idiotic the same as everyone who believes in make believe creators..............its probably no help to you though

Idiotic, well done.. Why does it bother u so much.. Hmm

I'm guessing he created himself. Wish I was around to see that trick.

Edited by Lee4Life

My wife's friend who lives in Chiang Mai, we live in Isaan, rang her up one day and told her that she had dreamed of something evil happening to her. She is very superstitious so off we went to a hermit monk who lives in a small hut in the hills near the boarder, he is very popular and is often visited by the people in our area. He impressed me, very casual, he just asked the wife,"What's up now". She explained and he took her gold necklace and mine and placed them in a bowl of blessed water, he sat for about 10 minuets seemingly in trance then told the wife she has something evil in the house which has been brought in by her two daughters, then aged 10 and 5. We drove back home and she thought and thought and eventually went to a photo in a frame of her two daughters that had been given to them recently by her ex husband. She took the photo from the frame and on the back were written ancient runes as a curse that she should die a painful death. She informed the monk who told her to burn it while praying. Since then i have become a little superstitious myself.

Long time ago, in my backpacking days. I met a big older Hippy like American fortune teller with some amulets and things on he's neck, several times on the road from Jog Jakarta, Penang, koh Samui, Chiang Mai, and other places...(The Hippy trail) he used to impress people by telling about there lives and problems....Until one of my friends saw him in Samui in a dark corner of a bar while some Farangs were talking about there lives and problems on the counter.

the next day he was talking to one of those guys and the guy was very surprised that everything he said about he's life was spot on....that's just the way he made he's money...saw him a few more times over a couple years and then never again...

There is an interesting story about this monk. 30 years ago he used to live in our village temple as an orphan and was ordained as a monk but it turned out he was a bit of a thief, keeping some of the collection for himself etc,nothing really serious but he was thrown out of the temple although not defrocked. He began a long wandering journey begging for food on his way until he arrived at where he is now. He built himself a small hut from bamboo on a hillside (kings land) and finally decided to act as an honest monk. The small villages around this hill ( they call it a mountain) couldn't support a wat so as his reputation grew as a good monk people began bringing him food and blankets etc.

One day one of the kings daughters ( i don't know which one) visited the area and heard about this monk and decided to visit him, he told her his story and what he was doing now and she was so impressed with him she decreed the hill to him so that he could build a wat (which he has only just recently been able to do). It is about a 90 minute drive from us and the journey really goes through the pampas and yet many people in the villages surrounding us as well as our own people go to visit him if they have a problem even though we have lots of temples in our area.

I have been to several of his gatherings before he built the wat, he didn't really do a service as such with all the chanting he just listened to peoples problems and gave advice, sometimes admittedly about future events although i never saw him take money but i have seen him give out things to others. Very casual, walks up to the gathering on a small podium ciggy in hand, waving, "Well what have we got today then''

My mother-in-law came with us once and asked him why she is poor and had such a hard life,he stared at her for a few moments and just said,''It's your own fault'' which demolished her but he was right, she is a lazy bitch.

But taking the "Bride" back to the home-country, to be introduce to the "Farang-Family", things may take on a new dimension. In the long run, there are 3 things that can not be hidden:

- Apparently. the "Bride" believes in ghosts. (This is the year of the Lord of 2016).

- Although working in a Thai Bank before, the "Bride's" mathematical skills are dismal.

At this point, a senior member of the Farang Family will have a heart to heart talk with the returning "lost son",

"Harry, we told you that in a tropical climate you always have to wear a hat, if you want to keep your Solar-Plexus from long term damage."

When the British colonized India, they always wore hats of some kind. They suffered no long-term mental damage as history shows. Most Farangs, visiting Thailand do not wear hats.

2+2 equals 4 ?

Cheers.

Pure genius, but what does it mean?

Hi Off Road - neat story but what does this sentence mean?

some Farangs were talking about there lives and problems on the counter.

Would that be "at the counter" and he overheard?

"At The Counter" thx for rectifying me...he was in a dark corner keeping a low profile and overheard the conversation....yes, you need a lot of explanation do you ??? If I had time I would have made it a longer story by explaining all details like to kids....! no offence meant..just a little push like I would do to my friends.!

but most people understood it....If I had more time and aspirations to be a writer (and I don't have) I would have added a couple more very interesting and almost unbelievable storeys about my in laws...

By the way, the Voodo guy I mentioned as a big American with amulets and such...was a very knowledgeable guy, we spoke a couple of times when we met on our respective travels, and he knew a whole lot about S E Asia...despite been a crook.

Best regards, Off Road Pat

Edited by off road pat

There is an interesting story about this monk. 30 years ago he used to live in our village temple as an orphan and was ordained as a monk but it turned out he was a bit of a thief, keeping some of the collection for himself etc,nothing really serious but he was thrown out of the temple although not defrocked. He began a long wandering journey begging for food on his way until he arrived at where he is now. He built himself a small hut from bamboo on a hillside (kings land) and finally decided to act as an honest monk. The small villages around this hill ( they call it a mountain) couldn't support a wat so as his reputation grew as a good monk people began bringing him food and blankets etc.

One day one of the kings daughters ( i don't know which one) visited the area and heard about this monk and decided to visit him, he told her his story and what he was doing now and she was so impressed with him she decreed the hill to him so that he could build a wat (which he has only just recently been able to do). It is about a 90 minute drive from us and the journey really goes through the pampas and yet many people in the villages surrounding us as well as our own people go to visit him if they have a problem even though we have lots of temples in our area.

I have been to several of his gatherings before he built the wat, he didn't really do a service as such with all the chanting he just listened to peoples problems and gave advice, sometimes admittedly about future events although i never saw him take money but i have seen him give out things to others. Very casual, walks up to the gathering on a small podium ciggy in hand, waving, "Well what have we got today then''

My mother-in-law came with us once and asked him why she is poor and had such a hard life,he stared at her for a few moments and just said,''It's your own fault'' which demolished her but he was right, she is a lazy bitch.

Another good story, THX for sharing....and by the way this monk was doing what all other monks should be doing...maybe this one really saw the light ?!?!?

I'm not joking here !!! Respect !!!

best regards,Off Road Pat

A curse is just words - and it can only work when people believe it.

I have seen it used in many different ways here - the ghost knocked the drunk guy off the motorcycle... which can be used to make the fellow feel less responsible for poor judgment.

But superstitions exist everywhere and have for a long time... sometimes they are even sensical - like not walking under a ladder and sometimes non-sensical. Every culture has customs and beliefs and holidays etc... it is big business.

sensical: go with the flow, you can't fight city hall.

you are not likely to change your wife's beliefs.

And why would anyone get a haircut on Wednesday in the first place?

Yes, but it can have bad consequences...! When Politicians take Astrologers advice to take important decisions it starts to be dangerous !!!

I remember when Thaksin Shinawatra was in Power. He had to make a very important decision quick, or the country would loose a lot of money. that day and period turned out to be unlucky for him to take decisions (cording to he's fortune-teller)...so he waited a couple of days and did what he failed to do the first day, after the country lost a huge amount of value on it's currency....Superstition....!??!?

Lot's of heads of states have and had fortune tellers/Astrologers as Adolf Hitler, Nancy Reagan (Wife of President Ronald Reagan that influenced he's policy's) Francois Mitterand, Modi, to name a few....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/reunionfrance/1345251/Astrologer-advised-Mitterrand-on-political-decisions.html

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-02-20/news/47527107_1_vasundhara-raje-gujarat-bjp-astrology

http://www.gurusfeet.com/forum/politicians-consulting-astrology-acting

Best regards.

Edited by off road pat

Everyone one has certain beliefs, not just Thais.. Does it bother u, is it costing you money.. My wife has hers, I just got with the flow, ain't hurting me..

It may not cause direct immediate affect hurt to an individual, but it does have a waybof piling up the indirect cause and effect hurt on society at large. It's an indicator of intelligence, like it or not, and does have a negative impact...sorry to say. I still enjoy the related interviews, debates and commentary from characters like Prof Richard Dawkins.

You're totally right, but then you mentioned Dawkins as though you think he's not also having a laugh---i.e. you think he's being serious, and trust me, he's not.T

he point you've missed is that whilst they're not very clever, they believe that their local witch doctor would have the brains to do the spells correctly, when they all know it's not many Thais who can pull anything off whatever it is without making a mess of i

Nope. RD is obviously a serious man...a self-evident fact, if you have ever read or listened to him.

Nothing missed on my part.

You however seemed to have missed a t.

It can be dangerous if what I was told was true.

The reason some m'bikes drive without back lights is so that the ghosts can't chase them.

i really hate the ghosts that chase my motorbike at night time. luckily i have a fast bike and can go faster than them clap2.gif

No way! Sorry you can only get away in a ghostmobile. # what you gonna drive

Buy one for the wife, she'll never be afraid again

post-234716-0-64437900-1460680232_thumb.

Everyone one has certain beliefs, not just Thais.. Does it bother u, is it costing you money.. My wife has hers, I just got with the flow, ain't hurting me..

It may not cause direct immediate affect hurt to an individual, but it does have a waybof piling up the indirect cause and effect hurt on society at large. It's an indicator of intelligence, like it or not, and does have a negative impact...sorry to say. I still enjoy the related interviews, debates and commentary from characters like Prof Richard Dawkins.

You're totally right, but then you mentioned Dawkins as though you think he's not also having a laugh---i.e. you think he's being serious, and trust me, he's not.T

he point you've missed is that whilst they're not very clever, they believe that their local witch doctor would have the brains to do the spells correctly, when they all know it's not many Thais who can pull anything off whatever it is without making a mess of i

Exactly! Dawkins is the West's witchdoctor

Exactly! Dawkins is the West's witchdoctor

Actually, if you understand anything at all of what he says, you could not possibly make such a ridiculous claim. It's a bit like a maths teacher trying to teach a voodoo believing jungle native to count 1 to 10, only for the native to comment with a grunt or two to indicate their perception that the maths teaching must be some evil witchdoctor.

Actually, if you understand anything at all of what he says, you could not possibly make such a ridiculous claim. It's a bit like a maths teacher trying to teach a voodoo believing jungle native to count 1 to 10, only for the native to comment with a grunt or two to indicate their perception that the maths teaching must be some evil witchdoctor.

Lighten up I was joking. But seriously there is a certain creed followed religiously by atheists too which can stretch credulity at times. There is no proof to the existence of God and there is no proof to God's non existence either regardless of what Orthodox religious or Orthodox atheists say.

Pointing at things with my feet is the one I always get told off for, cant break that habit

Some of her relos will act as if I spat on them when I point at something with my feet, some of those relos the same ones that munch on BBQ rat and laugh at me if I pull a face. Its a curious thing

Point at things with your feet, BAD, but eating freakin rats isnt. Uh OKAY

Firstly, I will assume your post is not an attempt at humor and point out I may or may not be a "non believer" that is my business. However you do not have to fall into either category to explain the "demise" of the latin language in more logical terms than summoning up demons. The decline of Latin can be attributed primarily to two causes, the fall of the Roman Empire and the decline of the influence of Roman Catholicism.

Of course Latin didn't die out, like some of the ancient languages. It forms the basis of all the Romance languages which are also known as neo Latin languages, including Italian, Spanish, French Portuguese as well as some of the sub languages or dialects. such as Corsican. No language is completely static and they change very quickly over time English is a good example, the English language used 200 years ago seems somewhat stilted these days while to understand the works of Chaucer written in the 14th century you almost need a translator.

Secondly Latin is still taught in many schools and the works of the great Latin writers such as Cicero Ovid Horace are read and studied and until recently it was the language of the Roman Catholic Church's rites and I believe is still the language of the formal gatherings of the clergy. It is also used in scientific classifications and in some legal jurisdictions to classify legal tenets.

The disintegration of the Roman Empire in the 4th to 6th centuries in Western Europe, meant that trade and communication between the epicenter Rome and the outlying provinces diminished, and the focus of these outlying areas changed and as trading and power bases changed other languages were introduced into the previous Latin base although for most of the population of the , Britannic and Teutonic areas of the the Empire and other areas latin probably wasn't their first language. So when the Roman hierarchy in these provinces disappeared so did the rise of other languages, firstly in everyday use and then in official use and finally in literature, Official documents were written in Latin well into the middle ages while Chaucer wrote the first English language saga 800 years after the Romans left Britannia.

It was the decline of the power and influence of the Catholic Church that hastened the demise of Latin especially after the Reformation where ordinary people were able to worship in their own language that was a major factor the Book of Common Prayer, the Gutenberg bible and King James version of the Bible which of course the Roman Catholic church resisted persecuting people such as Wycliffe who wrote prayer books in his own language,

Summoning up demons is an interesting theory for the so called demise of the Latin language but I think other factors may be more valid.

How do the non-believers explain away the fact that the whole reason that the Latin language died out was that people kept accidentally summoning demons during normal conversations.

What the hell has Latin got to do with this thread? Apart from a poster's joke about it dying out 'cos the language brought out demons biggrin.png .

Do any of us care about superstitions? Of course we don't - although it is v funny reading about those who have to deal with superstitious relatives!

Lighten up I was joking. But seriously there is a certain creed followed religiously by atheists too which can stretch credulity at times. There is no proof to the existence of God and there is no proof to God's non existence either regardless of what Orthodox religious or Orthodox atheists say.

Ah, the classic attempt to deflect when the rational argument is lost...lighten up.

The whole point is rational thinkers dint follow Creed's, and don't strecth credulity, but have inherently in the basis of logic the need to question, including the logic itself, and progress hence.

Also, the classic " no proof to God's non existence" has been destroyed for what it is. Humour would jest, there's no proof that an invisible yet sonehow pink T-Rex zooming around the galaxy doesn't exist either. But I don't worship that or insist others give it credence just because they can't disprove it.

There no such thing as Orthodox atheists. Orthodox is itself a term used in a religious setting.

You need to be careful with labels. There is a difference between the label atheist and non theist, to name but two.

But nice attempt at the police branch thing, shame it's still soooo way short of the mark.

When the British colonized India, they always wore hats of some kind. They suffered no long-term mental damage as history shows. Most Farangs, visiting Thailand do not wear ha

2+2 equals 4 ?

Cheers.

Pure genius, but what does it mean?

To explain: Garlic has been a good remedy to keep ghost away as long as the garlic was hung above the entrance of a house. Has worked well in Europe in centuries past.

To further explain: Marrying a Thai-Female, believing in Ghosts, (firmly instructed by Grandmother), can not lead to a "Success-Story", once entering European Shores,

In Europe, we don't believe in "Ghosts" anymore. We have something far better: = Religion(s).!!

Both concepts will not serve us well in the future.

Cheers

Ah, the classic attempt to deflect when the rational argument is lost...lighten up.

The whole point is rational thinkers dint follow Creed's, and don't strecth credulity, but have inherently in the basis of logic the need to question, including the logic itself, and progress hence.

Also, the classic " no proof to God's non existence" has been destroyed for what it is. Humour would jest, there's no proof that an invisible yet sonehow pink T-Rex zooming around the galaxy doesn't exist either. But I don't worship that or insist others give it credence just because they can't disprove it.

There no such thing as Orthodox atheists. Orthodox is itself a term used in a religious setting.

You need to be careful with labels. There is a difference between the label atheist and non theist, to name but two.

But nice attempt at the police branch thing, shame it's still soooo way short of the mark.

Huh? Sorry to have sinned ( literally 'missed the mark')

"No such thing as orthodox atheists? Orthodox is itself a term used in a religious setting"?

FYI get out your dictionary.

Orthodox means following or conforming to the traditional or generally accepted rules or beliefs of a religion, philosophy, or practice.

Synonyms: conservative, traditional, observant, devout, strict, true.

It's from the Greek ortho meaning straight and doxa meaning opinion (nothing to do with religion).

I believe atheism (or rationalism) is a philosophy, a belief.

Therefore it is quite correct to say orthodox atheists (who share literally a "straight opinion")

I think it's orthodox grammar. But I agree that the orthodox view of the word orthodox does possess religious connotations if you wish to use it in the orthodox way.

Orthodox medicine, orthodox artists, orthodox jazz, none of which are religious.

God forbid, (oops sorry) I could also say Dawkins was a high priest of his beliefs (the chief advocate or proponent of a particular belief or practice).and you are an adherent (someone who supports a particular party, creed, person, or set of ideas)

So because it upset you I will amend witchdoctor to high priest, hope that's acceptable now.

Dogmatic or dogma also have religious connotations and rationalists are often dogmatic in their beliefs to the point of being zealots.(people who are fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals).

When I said 'lighten up' I wasn't deflecting anything because you fancied I had lost an argument, my first post was being satirical. Do rationalists take themselves so seriously that they have lost their sense of humor and don't understand satire or irony?

"Police branch thing"? what are you talking about? Your logic is lost on me there.

Sorry you're sooo way short of the mark but God Bless you anyway

"No such thing as orthodox atheists? Orthodox is itself a term used in a religious setting"?

Orthodox means following or conforming to the traditional or generally accepted rules or beliefs of a religion, philosophy, or practice.

It's from the Greek ortho meaning straight and doxa meaning opinion (nothing to do with religion).

Therefore it is quite correct to say orthodox atheists (who share literally a "straight opinion")

I think it's orthodox grammar. But I agree that the orthodox view of the word orthodox does possess religious connotations if you wish to use it in the orthodox way.

Orthodox medicine, orthodox artists, orthodox jazz, none of which are religious.

God forbid, (oops sorry) I could also say Dawkins was a high priest of his beliefs (the chief advocate or proponent of a particular belief or practice).and you are an adherent (someone who supports a particular party, creed, person, or set of ideas)

So because it upset you I will amend witchdoctor to high priest, hope that's acceptable now.

Dogmatic or dogma also have religious connotations and rationalists are often dogmatic in their beliefs to the point of being zealots.(people who are fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals).

When I said 'lighten up' I wasn't deflecting anything because you fancied I had lost an argument, my first post was being satirical. Do rationalists take themselves so seriously that they have lost their sense of humor and don't understand satire or irony?

"Police branch thing"? what are you talking about? Your logic is lost on me there.

You don't get it do you.

You are imposing your belief based "thinking" onto what I am saying. There are countless errors in what you drible...the key point is, you believe, rather than think.

You even base your language (choice of words) to reflect belief, rather than any rational approach.

Let me give you one simple example, hopefully you might get it...I don't believe in atheism. I don't believe in logic. By the way, atheism does not mean logic. It is you, who needs a belief based system that assumes I need a belief based system, and so you describe my comments as being stemming from some kind of belief. I don't believe...I think. If you can actually think, then you might understand this....or keep dribbling out your beliefs.

Oh well...some are just beyond hope.

High priest indeed.

You don't get it do you.

You are imposing your belief based "thinking" onto what I am saying. There are countless errors in what you drible...the key point is, you believe, rather than think.

You even base your language (choice of words) to reflect belief, rather than any rational approach.

Let me give you one simple example, hopefully you might get it...I don't believe in atheism. I don't believe in logic. By the way, atheism does not mean logic. It is you, who needs a belief based system that assumes I need a belief based system, and so you describe my comments as being stemming from some kind of belief. I don't believe...I think. If you can actually think, then you might understand this....or keep dribbling out your beliefs.

Oh well...some are just beyond hope.

High priest indeed.

"I believe atheism (or rationalism) is a philosophy, a belief."

Atheism is NOT a belief, it is a non belief. Atheism is not a philosophy; it means ONLY no belief in gods or deities.