Imported Chuck Steak

SidJames

Can anyone recommend a butcher or supermarket does decent chuck steak?

I'm guessing that maybe Austrailian beef would be best value over here.

I'd like to knock up some burgers at home & also thinking of sous vide before flashing them

Also looking for decent burger buns folks.

SJ

Edited by SidJames

You might try Tops at Central Festival and/or Villa. I buy the the fresh baked burger buns at Tops. They are 20 baht each. I also buy the Australian minced meat there but I believe they had Australian chuck steak too.

I had never heard this cut of a beef referred to as chuck steak until I came to Thailand. When we butchered our beef ( Home grown ) the chuck was always cut into a roast and cooked as such. Granted it could be put on the bbq on low heat, but not cooked as the steak cuts, rare, medium, etc. It did, if cooked on low heat, make for a tender, flavorful cut of beef, one of my favorites.

On a related note, the freezer at Friendship that usually contains a variety of beef cuts, some Australian imports, has been half empty when I checked a couple of times this week. In particular I was looking for chuck there. Nada. Even at the fresh meat counter no chuck and the supply of other cuts was limited. I'm hoping it's just a Friendship issue and not some wide-spread supply problem.

At times I've found some excellent chuck at Big C Extra to use for beef stew, but the quality varies from one time to the next. It's usually obvious from the amount of marbling whether it's worth buying.

I had never heard this cut of a beef referred to as chuck steak until I came to Thailand. When we butchered our beef ( Home grown ) the chuck was always cut into a roast and cooked as such. Granted it could be put on the bbq on low heat, but not cooked as the steak cuts, rare, medium, etc. It did, if cooked on low heat, make for a tender, flavorful cut of beef, one of my favorites.

This was a very common term in the UK for the cut that was usually used in stews and pies. it takes a longer cooking time to become tender but very tasty, it does not fall apart and the longer cooking time brings out all the flavours of the other ingredients. Reminds me of passed days when I was younger when such home cooking was standard. Today when looking at supermarket shelves in the UK they are packed with such ready made meals so cooking at home appears to the exception rather than the rule. Local butchers are a rare commodity and in supermarkets the fresh meat counter is the smallest section. In Thailand the expat needs to do more home cooking, especially in more rural areas, to get a taste of home but well worth the effort.