French Catholic Church announces new measures to deal with cases of paedophilia

webfact

French Catholic Church announces new measures to deal with cases of paedophilia

606x341_329816.jpg

PARIS: -- The Catholic Church in France has pledged to set up an independent commission to ‘shed light’ on cases of paedophilia.

Mired in scandal involving a cover-up of the sexual abuse of children which reaches the highest ranks of the clergy, bishops announced that special groups would be set up to listen to the victims. They would be overseen by a lay person to avoid any conflict of interest.

Speaking at a press conference Monsignor Georges Pontier, Marseille archbishop and president of France’s Bishops Conference explained:

“We thought it’s important to have an external commission of experts because we have with our priests a relationship that surpasses the relationship between employer and employee. It’s not like this. We have a relationship which creates a proximity with priests and this proximity may be a disservice on some occasions”.

The measures come after the controversy surrounding Archbishop of Lyon Philippe Barbarin. He is accused of failing to inform prosecutors about a priest who had admitted to sexually abusing boys in the Lyon area 25 years ago. Though he called for forgiveness for the crimes, he insists he did nothing wrong.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-04-13

It would be great to see them pay a huge sum for their dishonesty, then tax all bloody churches as they are making a profit.

I am no friend of the church,especially the Catholic church but they do a lot of work with that money which by rights should be done by the state, by not taxing them and giving over their responsibility to the church the state is saving itself a lot of money.

It would be great to see them pay a huge sum for their dishonesty, then tax all bloody churches as they are making a profit.

I am no friend of the church,especially the Catholic church but they do a lot of work with that money which by rights should be done by the state, by not taxing them and giving over their responsibility to the church the state is saving itself a lot of money.

It's sort of their mandate from God to do good deeds. They save the state money and they get to save souls...and get converts. Sort of a win-win situation.

I have no problem with taxing Churches, but I wonder what will happen if they apply the same to Mosques.

Should I set up a church, be given tax free status on income and property, promise to spend 30% (have no idea what % they do spend of donations) on charity work? Somehow that is better than the state spending taxes on needed services, hopefully more efficiently than 30%? Return those holdings to productive businesses that do pay taxes? Religion is parasitic, based on brainwashing and fear from early age.

You should try flying over Angeles City and seeing the massive slum that surrounds the gleaming cathedral they have built with the money they've scrounged from people that can't afford it.

I'd tax the crap out of them, and if they don't give up known paedophiles to the police without being asked, they should be locked up for obstruction of justice and conspiracy.

The Catholic and Christian Church, the Vatican are like the maffia, or maybe even worse.

They have committed well organized crimes against children, often orphans and always the weakest and most fragile in our society.

They have truly instutionalized phedophelia.

I still wait for the 1st priest or cardinal receiving a life sentence in jail.

Until that day comes, I am not interested in these articles telling us they are 'working' on it.

Hundreds could have been arrested already and thousands of children saved...

Churches are like mafia. It has been proven that they were working with mafia and far right extremists groups. They should be watched closely and not allow any priest to come close to any kid under any circumstances. This have been happening too often all aver the world. Time to be harsh and not allow this to happen again.

The Catholic and Christian Church, the Vatican are like the maffia, or maybe even worse.

They have committed well organized crimes against children, often orphans and always the weakest and most fragile in our society.

They have truly instutionalized phedophelia.

I still wait for the 1st priest or cardinal receiving a life sentence in jail.

Until that day comes, I am not interested in these articles telling us they are 'working' on it.

Hundreds could have been arrested already and thousands of children saved...

agreed. seems the church is doing more to cover up these crimes than they will ever do to stop them.