Salt Question Again !

simcity

anyone know where i can buy , high quality salt !

fleur de sel ( Guerande )

or similar from japan ( not sure the name )

like to add some after steak or grill !

thank

http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si_gourmet_reference.asp

there is no such thing like quality salt except in the mind of some people who fall for false statements of other clever people who are making good money. NaCl (Sodium Chloride actually Natrium Chloride) in its highest purity does not differ at all no matter from what source the salt comes from. any difference in taste is added artificially and/or the salt is not pure.

please attach a 10Baht coin to your PM as consulting fees for me :o

Actualy it's the impurities that makes the difference. :o I doubt very much that you can buy pure NCl. Most normal salt you buy in the supermaket have a number of things added like de-caking agents and iodine.

Raw sea salt can have a number of extra minerals/salts that give them a different colour, taste and crystal shape.

There are usually different sea salts available in western style supermarkets like Villa, Foodland, Emporium or try Japaneese stores like the one behind Villa. I have seen Sea salt from Murray river in oz in one of them, very nice. :D

Edited by ZZZ

Actualy it's the impurities that makes the difference. :o I doubt very much that you can buy pure NCl.

I have some 99.9% pure NaCL. However it is laboratory grade and in my case used for RH instrument calibration. Probably not what the OP wants though. :D

anyone know where i can buy , high quality salt !

fleur de sel ( Guerande )

or similar from japan ( not sure the name )

like to add some after steak or grill !

thank

http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si_gourmet_reference.asp

there is no such thing like quality salt except in the mind of some people who fall for false statements of other clever people who are making good money. NaCl (Sodium Chloride actually Natrium Chloride) in its highest purity does not differ at all no matter from what source the salt comes from. any difference in taste is added artificially and/or the salt is not pure.

please attach a 10Baht coin to your PM as consulting fees for me :o

well i presum , you never try the fleur de sel ( Guerande )

sprinkle on top of grill fish or steak is very nice !

i do not agree with the statment of ' no such think like quality salt ! "

i do not agree with the statment of ' no such think like quality salt ! "

You are responding to a closet chemist or at least a pedant. Quality doesn't mean "tastes good" to him, it means "pure".

The same point he is making could (and has) been made about water: quality (read: pure) water is what you get from careful distillation. People who want a tasty mineral water are actually looking for "dirty" water. :o

The difference of NaCl and "Sel de Guérande" or "Fleur de Sel" is the solubility as this "Gros Sel" will not add a salty taste but remains as cristalls on the food.

Also the cristalls in butter remain intact and on the french menu is "Boeuf gros sel" very popular.

Impurities : Sel may contain traces of fish and crab

I guess Carrefour in LOS.

Edited by dash