Earwax Irrigation?

ev1lchris

You don't need a doctor. Get a large turkey baster type bulb, a tray and some lukewarm water. I was caregiver for an elderly relative and did this every few months. It helps if you put some earwax dissolver drops in your ears about a day before you do it. (I think mineral oil will work).

the force of the warm liquid will push out any earwax plugs...and believe me you can have some big ones in there. It is harmless and unless you stick something in your ear too far it is impossible to do any damage to your ear canal or drum.

liquefying the wax with heat, then using suction is the way the ENT doctors do it. Blasting water in there with a bulb is almost barbaric compared to the tool they have at the ENT Clinics. I paid less than 700 THB total for both ears at a private hospital...just get a cost estimate before they proceed...they will give it a look...they will also make sure that you don't have an infection, and will give a visual inspection of the ear. I actually had pretty good luck at one of the beauty salons on Sukhumvit...they too, use heat, but then the hook type devices...it's only 200 or so, but takes longer, and isn't as clean...but if you have big plugs; your hearing will improve, and it will feel great. I'm sticking with the ENT every 18 months, and it's cheaper than a haircut in the US...very good thing to do a few weeks before a long jet trip.

Westerners with dry type cerumen blockage and have never had it properly removed will

be shocked what comes out of their ears. In these cases heat does not help. The wax must be removed manually

with a curette or other implement.

You don't need a doctor. Get a large turkey baster type bulb, a tray and some lukewarm water.

TV forum is always good to improve my English.

"Turkey baster" tongue.png

"Sucking out" sounds like an acceptable method for DIY.

Never try any hook methods DIY.

I can confirm that an ENT will do it with a "hook" and that will take not more than a minute.

At a "clinic" in Pattaya I had done with "washing" out.

A quite lengthty procedure. A bit annoying but it worked fine,

To the OP: there must be a thousand places in Bangkok.

You should at least specify the district (ket),

(in case this thread is still alive?)

You don't need a doctor. Get a large turkey baster type bulb, a tray and some lukewarm water.

You have to be very careful when trying to mock another poster's English skills other wise you just end up looking like an idiot. Just as you have just done. "Baster" is spelled correctly.

You have to be very careful when trying to mock another poster's English skills other wise you just end up looking like an idiot. Just as you have just done. "Baster" is spelled correctly.

You didn't understand my post or my smiley was misplaced.

I am not a native speaker and it's the first time I stumble upon a "turkey baster".

Used Google to find what it is.

Others have ear canals blocked with wax that becomes foetid and lousy with Fungus.

I don't know how this happens I would think I would feel itchy.

Actually I must be cleaning ears daily with bamboo mimikaki (耳かき) as is common in Japan but fortunately have the gooey type of wax, does form these huge plugs.

Sometimes a little alcohol on a cotton swab, Mum used to pour it in my ears after surfing. Did not hurt and I never got ear infections.

• 1 year later...

I had ear wax removal done in Bahrain and in saudi and it cost as much as a consultation with the ENT doc...both times the ear was completely clogged and hearing was impossible...tried a Q - tip both times and just made it worse...the doc used a suction device and one time the device got clogged removing the sludge and almost shut down...bad news...

recently, now retired the same thing appeared and I thought: 'aw hell, here in rural Thailand they ain't gonna have what's required to do the job...' and I waited a few days and the ear cleared itself after some applications of hot/warm water to the affected area...and I wondered if the relief had to do with the local weather, humidity, etc that wasn't available before...the earwax condition wasn't gonna change...

it's easy to panic when yer hearing is blocked...keep a lid on and try some of the old household remedies before seein' the doc...who may not be able to help anyway...

There was a big craze of using, I believe a Chinese method. A paper cone shape you stick in your ear and lite it on fire. It’s about 8 in. long and you let it burn down to bout 2 in. The heat and cone bring the wax out. I tried I’d once and it worked great. Also heard of some folks having their ears get worse.

Yes it take 2 people. One you trust won’t let it burn you ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived