181 die, 1,777 injured in three-day period of Songkran celebration

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun fact:

Thailand has around 24,000 road fatalities per year (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate)

Averaging at 65 per day.

In this case, had this not been Songkran, we would expect 3*65 = 195 deaths. However, there have been only 181 deaths in 3 days, hence Songkran is safer than the average day.

Why all the headlines about this?!

Actually, I was under the impression that the average daily death toll was 85 per day. Making it 255 for three days, in which case the Thai government's safety campaign was VERY effective. Even at 65 deaths. that average would still be higher than the reported toll for these three days.

Sometimes it pays to look at the facts before slamming the government for not doing what it proposed. Perhaps we need to congratulate them this time for running an effective campaign!

That would entail believing the figures published, both sets, which I dont.

One only has to take short drive to know that the insanity level increases during this period and then easily extrapolate an increase in fatalities.

But feel free to cheer on the governments "facts".

the article says most of the accidents are between 4pm and 8pm,

Here in Chiang Mai I notice the traffic police are all done well before 3pm daily.

Cant be interfering with the commuters.

Edited by piewarmer

Considering that the daily average is down, during a time of year when many are traveling hundreds of kilometre(myself included) I think the governments efforts have been successful. Most days Thais are at work, not traveling huge distances.

I think if only one life is saved then the governments actions are worth it. It is impossible to know, but if they had done nothing, I would assume the toll would have been higher.

I have done over 800 Klms over the last three days. I have seen some pretty bad overtaking maneuvers and one smashed up car that looked to me like they were using the emergency lane, got too close to the edge and dropped down. Maybe 10% of drivers are driving in an unsafe manner, but 90% are driving safely. The cops are everywhere, and their presence is probably having an effect.

80 % of deaths are motorbike deaths. Thailand has a lot of motorbikes. If you have a medium car crash you will probably survive, if you have the same impact on a motorbike you can die easily. It is just unfortunate.

Some of the posts here seem like they want a lot of deaths so they can be "proven right" and "I told you so"

Are you people sick? Thais up country often go to work in other far away provinces, usually sending money back to help out relatives and don't get many opportunities to catch up with families and old mates from their home town. This is the time of year that they can. The down side is that a small minority will die. No need for us to bash Thais here.

They are very nice people generally.

Fun fact:

Thailand has around 24,000 road fatalities per year (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate)

Averaging at 65 per day.

In this case, had this not been Songkran, we would expect 3*65 = 195 deaths. However, there have been only 181 deaths in 3 days, hence Songkran is safer than the average day.

Why all the headlines about this?!

Actually, I was under the impression that the average daily death toll was 85 per day. Making it 255 for three days, in which case the Thai government's safety campaign was VERY effective. Even at 65 deaths. that average would still be higher than the reported toll for these three days.

Sometimes it pays to look at the facts before slamming the government for not doing what it proposed. Perhaps we need to congratulate them this time for running an effective campaign!

That would entail believing the figures published, both sets, which I dont.

One only has to take short drive to know that the insanity level increases during this period and then easily extrapolate an increase in fatalities.

But feel free to cheer on the governments "facts".

As neither of us has access to any data we can quote as 100% valid, my own optimism will continue to cheer what appears to be positive results from a safety campaign. It makes me feel good to do so. I like to feel good about life.

Your pessimism may lead you to continue to believe it's all lies, if that's what makes you feel comfortable while living here. We are all free to chose our own realities.

The road carnage numbers signify an epic fail for the 'road safety campaign', yet the junta is touting this as a success? blink.png

Ok, Thai logic, I guess. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The No Fail Policy extends far beyond education it seems.

It's a no fail country, All they do is fail, they just call it something else and all is good.

I am sorry for the friends and relatives of the people who were killed during

Songkran. RIP to them all. I have enjoyed Songkran festivals in Chiang Mai, Cha Am

and Hua Hin as well as in Bangkok. I felt that Chiang Mai with the balloons and

all happening at the same time was entertaining, but the fireworks were very dangerous,

especially when people were on 2 sides of a canal, shooting rockets at each other.

The crowds were huge, and lots of colorful costumes in some places as well.

The food was great as always, and lots to eat where ever I went. I was soaked all

3 days, and still have fond memories of the festivities. It is too bad that so many

people get a bit too drunk, or careless, and kill themselves on their motorbikes, or

in their cars, but I certainly have enjoyed the festivals.

Geezer.

"(NCPO) says a total of 64,310 drivers were arrested" to me that sounds like an astounding number of arrests lol. I've never heard anything like that before in my life.

and only 1565 vehicle's impounded. so just under 63,000 drivers were SOBER.and their vehicle's went on their way.facepalm.gif

Just heard on Australia's Radio National..., 24,000 people are killed on Thai roads every year.., presumably all as a result of traffic accidents.

Oopsy daisy..., apologies..., just noticed that not so little tid bit had already been mentioned.

Edited by Sandy Freckle

"(NCPO) says a total of 64,310 drivers were arrested" to me that sounds like an astounding number of arrests lol. I've never heard anything like that before in my life.

and only 1565 vehicle's impounded. so just under 63,000 drivers were SOBER.and their vehicle's went on their way.facepalm.gif

The numbers never, ever add up.

Well on the way to being the No.1 for traffic deaths.

No, Thailand's not even in the top ten.

#2 in the world for road casualties. Look it up.

NO Number 1......Thailand ONLY count the number that died at the scene......now shock yourself by looking at those taken to hospital, and how many died on the way OR in Hospital. Take a % of the injured figures given each day and add-----surprised.??

I would be interested to know how many of this number or 181 deaths, was from motorbike crashes with no helmets ? any one know ?

The facts show that 80% of deaths on Thai roads are Motorbike riders/passengers.---look around the towns and villages where most riders are---Most no hats because of nice hairstyles for facebook selfies.

Thai math is different than normal math! When we visited Thailand last year, we nearly had a near death experience with a mini-bus so I can see there are some problems there. My mini-bus days are over that's for sure.

Edited by steve654

What a senseless waste of life Songkran is. Every year, hundreds are killed and thousands are maimed.

Running into the road and throwing buckets of water at passing traffic is a recipe for disaster, especially for motorbike riders. Songkran should be zoned, so that the water throwing idiots are kept to specific areas like closed roads only, while the rest of us go about our lives in peace.

Almost 13,000 people were done for drink driving yesterday. That's a frightening number when you think how many were not caught/stopped!

It begs the question, does anybody drive sober ?

No. In this culture it is not good to be different from the majority.