Sky train service breaks down again as commuters return to work after long holidays

webfact

I agree, always wonder why they design trains so narrow for such a big city, not only that I find trains to be short and worst design for the platforms.

Space, perhaps?

The short trains right now are rather a poor decision -- probably based on delta of costs vs profit (i.e. who to pay for extra cars and extra operating costs) argument... which I find short-sited since I think the move to full length trains would probably just result in the same density ridership in a few years anyways. A mandate to full trains should be included in their operating agreement (which should have been done when the BMA was "negotiating" with them and handing then extensions etc.) if the ridership met certain density requirements.

The design of the system is fine, it is the same design that is used in a number of western countries (Vancouver has one). It is a balance between completely blocking out the sky and turning areas under the train into undesirable neighborhoods (which I have seen happening in Chicago with the El) and acting as a mass people transit system. Remember the original design of the Skytrain was not planned for the rather long extensions on each end.... one line in particular was really meant to be a "shopping line".... (since reconfigured). London and Paris does fine with "small trains" .... you just have more of them covering a wider area...

Also understand the original reason for building the system as a Skytrain was because of the problem with underground systems because of water levels underground (something that seems to be solved with the MRT system). The Skytrain was the first line in Bangkok.

What they really have to work on is integrating the MRT system and the Skytrain payment systems which would allow the building of a proper transfer point at Asoke (and a few others) [ending the people-jam due to having to exit and enter through turnstile payment systems]. The revenue could be split based on exit / entry data for each rider.

T.I.T 1zgarz5.gif

It would be better if you could make your points without resorting to something that is both offensive and condescending to Thailand and it's people. Once you go from making logical arguments on things that you think can improved - to a condescending attitude towards Thais.... it is probably time to go back to your home country (IMHO)

T.I.T 1zgarz5.gif

It would be better if you could make your points without resorting to something that is both offensive and condescending to Thailand and it's people. Once you go from making logical arguments on things that you think can improved - to a condescending attitude towards Thais.... it is probably time to go back to your home country (IMHO)

offtopic.gif and furthermore...if the bra fits, WEAR IT! Never has such an accurate, fitting and fun abbreviation been used to explain and quizzically shrug off the inexplicable, avoidable, head shaking and absurd goings on in Thailand. Not only is It not offensive, nor condescending...PC much???...but there ain't a bra big enough! Maybe you consider "Thai Time" offensive and condescending too, when in reality it is just a fun term to describe the laid back and unconcerned, yet chronic tardiness of the (seemingly) majority of Thais.

And even further...it's really disingenuous of you to excerpt only the closing "T.I.T." part of my accurate, sincere and FAVORABLE post about the Skytrain.

Perhaps you should do a bit of research on the history and meaning (both literal and figurative) of "T.I.T." before letting your fingers fly off the handle. 'Nuff said...

I challenge anyone to name an urban transit system in any major metropolitan area worldwide that does not have occasional breakdowns and service interruptions.

Just one.

I do agree that there is cause for complaint regarding the BTS's lack of public announcements and delay information.

Tokyo Subway - has it ever broken down ?

That said, I agree with your point... minor and periodic breakdowns can be expected as normal. Its fortunate this doesn't occur more often.

Although, a couple of breakdowns within a few months could indicate the onset of greater frequency.

I agree, always wonder why they design trains so narrow for such a big city, not only that I find trains to be short and worst design for the platforms.

Space, perhaps?

The short trains right now are rather a poor decision -- probably based on delta of costs vs profit (i.e. who to pay for extra cars and extra operating costs) argument... which I find short-sited since I think the move to full length trains would probably just result in the same density ridership in a few years anyways. A mandate to full trains should be included in their operating agreement (which should have been done when the BMA was "negotiating" with them and handing then extensions etc.) if the ridership met certain density requirements.

The design of the system is fine, it is the same design that is used in a number of western countries (Vancouver has one). It is a balance between completely blocking out the sky and turning areas under the train into undesirable neighborhoods (which I have seen happening in Chicago with the El) and acting as a mass people transit system. Remember the original design of the Skytrain was not planned for the rather long extensions on each end.... one line in particular was really meant to be a "shopping line".... (since reconfigured). London and Paris does fine with "small trains" .... you just have more of them covering a wider area...

Also understand the original reason for building the system as a Skytrain was because of the problem with underground systems because of water levels underground (something that seems to be solved with the MRT system). The Skytrain was the first line in Bangkok.

What they really have to work on is integrating the MRT system and the Skytrain payment systems which would allow the building of a proper transfer point at Asoke (and a few others) [ending the people-jam due to having to exit and enter through turnstile payment systems]. The revenue could be split based on exit / entry data for each rider.

I think the major flaw with the platform design is that its too narrow where passengers wait for trains. They need to start drawing better lines on more platforms so passengers know how to line up and not block the entire platform since it is narrow to begin with.

Although they started having signs last year or the year before telling people to stand on the right and walk on the left, very few people do it. Signs are only on big stations like Siam. They need a national campaign to educate Thais about it believe it or not.

The trains design does not make efficient use of the spaces between the doors.

They should upgrade entrance doors where you swipe your card to more efficient doors, ones that are always open and will only close if you don't swipe your card or if your card does not have enough money, this makes passenger flow through the doors faster on big stations like Siam.

Another big issue that bothers me the most is that you can't walk from one side of the platform to the other without needing to swipe your card!

If you are a parent, not having elevators on many station is a major pain when out with a stroller, can really feel for the disabled who are still petitioning to get elevators till this day.

I believe they are already working on integrating the MRT and BTS card since last year, just no confirmation yet.

Space, perhaps?

I think the major flaw with the platform design is that its too narrow where passengers wait for trains. They need to start drawing better lines on more platforms so passengers know how to line up and not block the entire platform since it is narrow to begin with.

Although they started having signs last year or the year before telling people to stand on the right and walk on the left, very few people do it. Signs are only on big stations like Siam. They need a national campaign to educate Thais about it believe it or not.

The trains design does not make efficient use of the spaces between the doors.

They should upgrade entrance doors where you swipe your card to more efficient doors, ones that are always open and will only close if you don't swipe your card or if your card does not have enough money, this makes passenger flow through the doors faster on big stations like Siam.

Another big issue that bothers me the most is that you can't walk from one side of the platform to the other without needing to swipe your card!

If you are a parent, not having elevators on many station is a major pain when out with a stroller, can really feel for the disabled who are still petitioning to get elevators till this day.

I believe they are already working on integrating the MRT and BTS card since last year, just no confirmation yet.

I seem to remember them mandating it (before the military government) and seeing a sign on Asoke BTS station saying the systems would be integrated by the end of that year.... (that was before the Rabbit card).