FedEx delivery on Samui

Hi. Did anyone recently have a FedEx parcel delivered on Samui? I had a package sent to me from the US using USPS GXG, which is outsourced to FedEx. According to USPS tracking it cleared customs and is expedited for delivery. But I have no idea about the customs duties to pay, nor how it will be delivered on Samui. Calling FedEx proved useless, as they can't find anything without a FedEx tracking number, which I do not have, only the USPS tracking number. I wondered if FedEx does the delivery themselves or outsource it to EMS or Kerry. Anyone any experience?

Another package sent to me with FedEx last week had a higher customs value, so due to Songkran they couldn't register with customs on time to organize the clearance. So I ordered a third party freight company to do the clearance, pick the parcel from BKK FedEx office and forward it with Thai Air Cargo to Samui. They managed everything in a day, whereas it would have taken FedEx a week at least.

Have you tried entering theUSPS tracking number into the Thai Post Office tracking widget? It sometimes works for me. Google Thai post office tracking, and there is something like Thai post office grasshopper. Enter the number there.

Don't forget, there is probably a backlog due to Songkran that might slow things up..

As for customs. In the past I have received a phone call or email to go to local courier service office to pay duty and collect parcel.

Edited by phetphet

Hi. Did anyone recently have a FedEx parcel delivered on Samui? I had a package sent to me from the US using USPS GXG, which is outsourced to FedEx. According to USPS tracking it cleared customs and is expedited for delivery. But I have no idea about the customs duties to pay, nor how it will be delivered on Samui. Calling FedEx proved useless, as they can't find anything without a FedEx tracking number, which I do not have, only the USPS tracking number. I wondered if FedEx does the delivery themselves or outsource it to EMS or Kerry. Anyone any experience?

Another package sent to me with FedEx last week had a higher customs value, so due to Songkran they couldn't register with customs on time to organize the clearance. So I ordered a third party freight company to do the clearance, pick the parcel from BKK FedEx office and forward it with Thai Air Cargo to Samui. They managed everything in a day, whereas it would have taken FedEx a week at least.

FedEx merely acts as the transporter to be picked up on this end.

Have you tried entering theUSPS tracking number into the Thai Post Office tracking widget? It sometimes works for me. Google Thai post office tracking, and there is something like Thai post office grasshopper. Enter the number there.

Don't forget, there is probably a backlog due to Songkran that might slow things up..

As for customs. In the past I have received a phone call or email to go to local courier service office to pay duty and collect parcel.

USPS GXG is completely handled by FedEx. There shouldn't be anything to do with Thai Post. Also the tracking number is a 10-digit all number format, so can't be tracked on anything but the USPS tracking site. There it shows the parcel cleared customs, but I just wonder what happens next, as there is no FedEx office on Samui. I emailed FedEx in the US to ask for a FedEx tracking number. When I have that FedEx in Thailand can look for the parcel. Fingers crossed...

USPS GXG is completely handled by FedEx. There shouldn't be anything to do with Thai Post. Also the tracking number is a 10-digit all number format, so can't be tracked on anything but the USPS tracking site. There it shows the parcel cleared customs, but I just wonder what happens next, as there is no FedEx office on Samui. I emailed FedEx in the US to ask for a FedEx tracking number. When I have that FedEx in Thailand can look for the parcel. Fingers crossed...

I've had stuff passed on from a Courier company, to Thai Post, for delivery.... I can't remember which courier though... so it's not unheard of for that to happen.

I've had stuff passed on from a Courier company, to Thai Post, for delivery.... I can't remember which courier though... so it's not unheard of for that to happen.

Well, we'll see what happens. USPS guaranteed delivery today, with money back guarantee. Maybe a van will show up later today, but I doubt it.

Last time I did this on line tracking ended in Bangkok. Delivery to Samui was outsourced to a local business with all the signage of a famous international company, but it was all just a sham as far as directly linking with that international company. And yes, some companies send it from Bangkok to Samui by post, and then attempt to deliver. Try to to find out which freight forwarder here might be involved with getting it from Bankok to Samui and go to their office to check directly.

I suppose in future the company to use would be DHL, they have an office just near Makro, same side, towards Tesco... but they will probably phone you to come pick up! whistling.gif

So beers all round for everyone, since you will not be charged! GS! tongue.png

I normally use DHL or UPS, both with offices on the island. On a previous holiday the local UPS office boss took her own car to deliver a package to me because her staff were all on holiday. That's service. And nothing bad either about the current DHL office next to Makro ;I still remember the crap the old 'DHL' branded shipping company next to Tesco used to pull on people.

The thing with these last two shipments is that they were very time critical, and UPS couldn't get it here in time. Nearest DHL office was 300 miles away from the sender's location (and no pickup) so wasn't an option. That left us with FedEx and USPS GXG. The last one a tad cheaper for this latest shipment. So used that with guaranteed 3-workday delivery. Cost was over USD 500 just in shipping the one box. So if FedEx decided to turn this parcel over to the local postal guys, it will cost them. Unfortunately I won't gain anything since I am not paying for the shipping, I just really hope the package turns up tomorrow!

Quick update: I contacted FedEx US to send me the tracking number so I could follow up with FedEx Thailand. I got the reply to contact FedEx Thailand. Tried to explain more that FedEx Thailand couldn't help me without the number, with the same reply. I gave up after 3 tries. The sender then contacted USPS (which does not allow enquirers from overseas) and finally got the tracking number. It's the same as the USPS number albeit with 89 in the front and a different control number at the end. Weird that no one at FedEx could offer this standard info.

Anyway I tried this FedEx number at Kerry Express tracking and low and behold, it showed up. They picked up the parcel yesterday afternoon and after contacting them they informed me it is due to be delivered today before lunch. :-)

Edited by Gulfsailor

In HH Fedex have outsource deliveries to Kerry. The same lady that does Lazada deliveries also handles Fedex pickups and deliveries. You must however take Songkran into account as deliveries come to standstill.

Fed X bunch of robbers they charge you the tax but do not pay the duty it goes into there own profits a few months ago was charged tax on an item from HK the tax was double the cost of the item which was a ladies swim suit tax charged was 2,443.75 baht gave the deliverers guy 2,500 to be told he had no change , would never deal with these rip off merchants again !!!!!!

Fed X bunch of robbers they charge you the tax but do not pay the duty it goes into there own profits a few months ago was charged tax on an item from HK the tax was double the cost of the item which was a ladies swim suit tax charged was 2,443.75 baht gave the deliverers guy 2,500 to be told he had no change , would never deal with these rip off merchants again !!!!!!

If they charge you import tax they must produce the documents for it. If they can't you don't pay and report them to Customs.

• 11 months later...

Hoping for some info related to FedEx. 

About to place an order from Hong Kong for a relaxation device. Looks like this exact model here: http://consciouslivingthailand.com/product/chi-machine/

The only difference is that this one costs 1800 baht instead of over 8000 baht. The machine is identical.

My question is does anyone know what FedEx is like in regards to customs? Do they ask for import licenses like DHL do? I am more than happy to pay tax and duty, but obtaining a licence is not something I am willing to undertake.

I have used DHL a few times and ended up having to ship items back to their origin because they demanded I show them a licence to import the item. We are talking products like magnesium and zinc which can be purchased at any pharmacy. Of course once the items were returned I just ordered the same items from the same shop overseas and had the items sent via USPS and avoided customs completely.

Unfortunately in this case I only have a choice of DHL or FedEx. Already tried DHL and they started their usual "it's a medical device and you need a licence bla blah" so I just said send it back. Hoping to not have the same issue with FedEx.

Edited by madhav

7 hours ago, madhav said:

Hoping for some info related to FedEx. 

About to place an order from Hong Kong for a relaxation device. Looks like this exact model here: http://consciouslivingthailand.com/product/chi-machine/

The only difference is that this one costs 1800 baht instead of over 8000 baht. The machine is identical.

My question is does anyone know what FedEx is like in regards to customs? Do they ask for import licenses like DHL do? I am more than happy to pay tax and duty, but obtaining a licence is not something I am willing to undertake.

I have used DHL a few times and ended up having to ship items back to their origin because they demanded I show them a licence to import the item. We are talking products like magnesium and zinc which can be purchased at any pharmacy. Of course once the items were returned I just ordered the same items from the same shop overseas and had the items sent via USPS and avoided customs completely.

Unfortunately in this case I only have a choice of DHL or FedEx. Already tried DHL and they started their usual "it's a medical device and you need a licence bla blah" so I just said send it back. Hoping to not have the same issue with FedEx.

I think if you read post 13 above you'll have same problem with taxes with FedEx... seen that posted several times by other members too...

Post office seems to be the least likely way of getting dinged!  SMS service usually works well, but obviously a problem, if they won't use the postal service.

1 hour ago, samuijimmy said:

I think if you read post 13 above you'll have same problem with taxes with FedEx... seen that posted several times by other members too...

Post office seems to be the least likely way of getting dinged!  SMS service usually works well, but obviously a problem, if they won't use the postal service.

Thanks for your reply. My question is not really about taxes, it's whether they ask for import licenses like DHL do.

I am more than happy to pay tax and duty, even if they charge 100% taxes I am still ahead in terms of price, but obtaining a licence is not something I am willing to undertake. Paperwork would be unbelievable.

Edited by madhav

42 minutes ago, madhav said:

Thanks for your reply. My question is not really about taxes, it's whether they ask for import licenses like DHL do.

I am more than happy to pay tax and duty, even if they charge 100% taxes I am still ahead in terms of price, but obtaining a licence is not something I am willing to undertake. Paperwork would be unbelievable.

Hopefully someone will give you the answer you need!

Just looked on Lazada, 16,000 baht! (different model!) :shock1:

http://www.lazada.co.th/chi-machine-12763208.html?ff=1

8 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Hopefully someone will give you the answer you need!

Just looked on Lazada, 16,000 baht! (different model!) :shock1:

http://www.lazada.co.th/chi-machine-12763208.html?ff=1

Wholesale cost is $50 (about 1,800 baht) and they are all made in china. Whilst I can understand people want to make some money selling them, that amount markup is completely unreasonable.

i will probably just call FedEx on Monday and ask them what they will do when it arrives.

Edited by madhav