Travelling To Singapore Thai Embassy - Looking For Advice

Hi guys

I tried posting this in a Singaporean expat forum but received no replies, so I was hoping that someone could offer me some advice here instead.........at least I kow everyone is alive and kicking in here.........

I will be travelling to Singapore in the next week or two from Thailand so that I can obtain a multi entry visa to live in Thailand.

I shall be visiting the Thai Embassy on Orchard Road with my wife to submit my application and will return the next day to get my documents. We are hoping there is somewhere within that proximity where we can sleep the night, cheap and cheerful lodgings acceptable but if it is a case of pay a little more for comfort we will take that as well, before we return to Thailand the next day.......Its a whirlwind tour

I am hoping we will only have to stay one night. Will it be possible to hand in my passport and application on a Monday before 12.00 midday, return the following day, as earliest as possible to pick it up and still have time to make it to the airport and return to BKK that day or will I have to stay another evening to make a morning departure ??

Whilst we are there we want to do a bit of shopping, we are bargain hunters not big spenders, I like computer stuff and my wife is looking for beauty products,, clothes handbags etc. Any suggestions greatly welcomed as we are first timer visitors

Thanks

JAF

Return of passport would be afternoon so you could not make a "morning" departure is that is what you are asking - but you should have plenty of time to make a number of afternoon or evening flights.

Subway system is everywhere so really not need to stay on top of Embassy. You would be able to find a good selection of hotels on internet with a 'Singapore hotel' search.

Remember that Embassy will observe all local and Thai holidays.

lots of info at www.visitsingapore.com

There is a desk in the airport terminal that has promotions/ last minute deals for hotels

Lots of computer shops near Bugis mrt station [Rochor centre ,Sim Lim ]. Thats a good area to stay for shopping ,transport & sightseeing.

Along the river at night there are some ok restaurants including Thai food if, like me ,you have a wife who will not eat anything else.

Return of passport would be afternoon so you could not make a "morning" departure is that is what you are asking - but you should have plenty of time to make a number of afternoon or evening flights.

I did not realise I would be able to receive my passport back so quickly. So if I get into the Embassy before 12.00 midday, what time can I go and collect it in the afternoon ??

JAF

I cannot advise you on cheap hotels.

If you like computer stuff,you will like Sim Lim,as My Friend I suggested, and a place called Funan.I personally dislike Sim Lim due to the hard line sales tactics of the salesmen, but you may love it!

Again, Bugis and the surrounding areas are the places to head for shopping and ( I guess) hotels.

Everything in Singapore is within a stones throw of each other , so to speak.The exchange rate of the money you can change in the airport is almost as good as you,ll get trawling around unfamiliar places ,which (I feel) is a waste of time.

99% of Taxi drivers know where you need to be and go by meter only.

99% of people speak English(approx)

You will like Singapore,only draw back is its expensive.I have found that Thailand is more expensive for electrical goods however.

Have a good time.

Cheers

Edited by soihok

You drop visa off monday morning, from 9:15 untill 12:15 Noon.

Pick up passport with visa tuesday afternoon between 2:00 and 4:30pm.

They are not flexible with the hours, so they will not accept any applications after 12:15 noon and all visas take 1 night to process ( next business day )

Dress poltiely and you should have no problems, also take original marriage cert if you have it just to show that the copy is real, but its not required ( it will help when they see the original marriage cert and wife )

You can make the whole trip only having to stay one night, but you must make sure you get your application in before 12:15 noon. It takes 20 mins and costs $18 SGD to get to the embassy from the airport. If you use the MRT it will take at least 1 hour from the airport. Maybe you dont get a hotel and stay out all night ( jokes ), it will save you at least 3,000 THB! Hotels are very expensive in Sing, we paid 3,500 per night for a not so good hotel. Make sure you allow for your flight to be delayed if its a low cost airline like AA..........................and it only took us 9 mins from the time we steped off the plane untill we were out of the airport, so so fast. So as long as your plan is scheduled to land before 10:45 am, just to be safe, you should only need one night there.

Edited by aussiestyle1983

I did the Sing route for an O Visa a few years ago when switching jobs. It was the next day for collection.

Stayed at the phoenix hotel a few times - but it's probably too much for you by the sound of things. It's on Orchard Road near the Somerset MRT I think. A McDonalds across the street sells breakfasts which saves money and you can get cheap food in the food fairs along there too.

A warning about electrical goods. The warranties are often only for Singapore not international. so if it breaks you are stuffed. also note that electroniocs are NOT part of your duty-free allowance when entering Thailand. They would require you to pay 30% (i think) in duty for that. Whatever you get you'd better try to throw away the box and stuff it into your suitcase..