The New Canon 400d

astral

My son arrived on holiday here with one. What impressed me was the rear screen which has a bright sharp display which shows you all the camera settings; very useful compared to staring into the top panel before taking a shot. When you put your eye to the viewfinder, the panel display switches off.

Not quite as fast as my 30D; but he was getting some beautiful shots out of it. I prefer the feel of the 30D, but would like to have the sensor cleaner and that rear panel display.

Very good value for money camera. But as usual still very crappy kit lens for high resolution sensor, and still no ultrasonic motor available for it outside Japan!

I would like a top display panel in addition to back LCD panel. For the price different I'd go for 30D.

I cannot wait for the release of the bigger model 40D.

There's a rumor a replacement for 30D will be released early next year.

I can't wait to see the release of replacement model of 5D too.

Edited by Nordlys

I was looking at it 2 weeks ago when in Dubai and comparing it to the Sony OX, also 10.2 mp. I finally decided on the Sony as it seemed to be really good at taking photos in lower light conditions without the need for flash. The auto focus also seemed to be more acurate. It is a bit bigger and heavier than the Canon though. Set came with a 18-70 mm lens + a 70-300mm. However, when I went to pay for it, the "international" warranty only applied in 8 countries and Thailand wasn't one of them! So left Dubai with neither! Haven't had time to look here yet, but does anyone know if the Sony is available in Thailand and how much?

I was looking at it 2 weeks ago when in Dubai and comparing it to the Sony OX, also 10.2 mp. I finally decided on the Sony as it seemed to be really good at taking photos in lower light conditions without the need for flash. The auto focus also seemed to be more acurate. It is a bit bigger and heavier than the Canon though. Set came with a 18-70 mm lens + a 70-300mm. However, when I went to pay for it, the "international" warranty only applied in 8 countries and Thailand wasn't one of them! So left Dubai with neither! Haven't had time to look here yet, but does anyone know if the Sony is available in Thailand and how much?

Hi

are you referring to the Sony A100? Anyhow, I found this camera in the Sony Centres in BKK. There's one in Emporium and one near Sala Daeng BTS, on the corner of Soi Convent (for the latter, the shop is sinsiam electronics - this is where I got mine from> They'll give a discount for cash but warranty is Thailand only. They had to order it in).

thecameracity also has the camera but I found them to be less helpful. However, it looks like they have knocked their price down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

are you referring to the Sony A100? Anyhow, I found this camera in the Sony Centres in BKK. There's one in Emporium and one near Sala Daeng BTS, on the corner of Soi Convent (for the latter, the shop is sinsiam electronics - this is where I got mine from> They'll give a discount for cash but warranty is Thailand only. They had to order it in).

thecameracity also has the camera but I found them to be less helpful. However, it looks like they have knocked their price down.

Yes, I think that's the one. I have since seen them in Central and a Sony shop for 40,000 baht (or 50000 baht incl the second lens).