Watana's daughter seeks US hand to look into human rights contravention

webfact

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watana requested the US to investigate whether the National Council for Peace and Order abused power or not in detaining a person with different political views, or whether the action contravened human rights.

Human Rights Watch: https://www.hrw.org/asia/thailand

Amnesty International: https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2015/12/thailand-detention-of-anti-corruption-protesters-shows-increasing-repression-by-military-junta/

Human Rights Foundation: https://humanrightsfoundation.org/news/thailand-hrf-condemns-threats-of-defamation-suit-on-human-rights-groups-00520

The answer is pretty unanimous.

Yes except it never gets to the action stage. Its all talk demonstrations shouting and in the end nothing changes. They follow their own agenda.

Here's a question for you: do you believe it's just possible he has a carefully planned agenda?

I could care less about if he has an agenda or not. The fact is he spoke words, words that a whole lot of people would agree with. When people are being taken into detention for speaking their mind, there is a very serious problem. All the talk about agendas, Guantanamo, Thaksin, or the Easter Bunny is nothing more than an attempt to distract people from that very simple fact. In this country since the junta has taken power you can be detained for saying things they don't want you to say. You are not free to speak your mind in any way, unless of course whatever it is you are speaking is what they want to hear. So here's a question for you: Do you think that is acceptable?

Edited by jcsmith

Watana is playing a game. He knew exactly what he was doing and that he would end up in detention for "attitude adjustment". Just another in a long line of people using politics for self (long term) gain.

What a shameful and mean spirited post.The profound stupidity of it is also striking since it overlooks a universal practice that democracy activists seek to expose repression - often by dramatic gestures.

Visit Guantanamo and then talk to the US again...

Human rights are disappearing world wide at an alarming rate. The US will not help and neither will the EU

It will get worse before it gets better, that's for sure. And how bad will it have to get before there are moves towards trade sanctions ? Money talks, I often think it's the only language the ruling class are fluent in.

I hate the junta as much as anyone, but if me and fellow 'farangs' had told her what we thoight of her father and his ilk when they were in power, she'd have called us a 'farang' and told us to mind our own business.

Now she turns to foreigners when the boot's on the other foot. Trying to have your cake and eat it.

And by the way, no I don't think her father should be in detention for speaking out. But he probably should be in prison for other things he's done.

Such as ? just asking thats all.

Probably on orders from Thaksin they are just trying to stir things up..Most of these guys belong in Prison which is they can put this guy. They are already put together a plan before to go the embassy trying to get all the press they can. So when this same bunch giant telling the Americans you farang not your business get out of Thailand they are begging forhelp. Thaksin himself has 13 very serious corruption cases against him which would give him over 100 years in Prison even if the court's gave medium sentences not max.

Put this guy in jail and let him rot.

Thaksin ! Thaksin ! Thaksin! did they let you out of the "nut house" again. It is now 2016, have'nt you been able to think of anything else for all these years.

Watana is playing a game. He knew exactly what he was doing and that he would end up in detention for "attitude adjustment". Just another in a long line of people using politics for self (long term) gain.

What a shameful and mean spirited post.The profound stupidity of it is also striking since it overlooks a universal practice that democracy activists seek to expose repression - often by dramatic gestures.

elviajero's post shows a profound understanding of the game being played - and why. I agree 100 %

Edited by sweatalot

Probably on orders from Thaksin they are just trying to stir things up..Most of these guys belong in Prison which is they can put this guy. They are already put together a plan before to go the embassy trying to get all the press they can. So when this same bunch giant telling the Americans you farang not your business get out of Thailand they are begging forhelp. Thaksin himself has 13 very serious corruption cases against him which would give him over 100 years in Prison even if the court's gave medium sentences not max.

Thaksin ! Thaksin ! Thaksin! did they let you out of the "nut house" again. It is now 2016, have'nt you been able to think of anything else for all these years.

Thaksin is taking care in a professional and heavily funded way that his name will never be forgot.

So it would be quite naive to pretend he has nothing to do with what is going on in Thailand

- if there are problems in Thai politics it is Thaksin

Edited by sweatalot

One crooked regime replaced with another regime with the same questionable practices

complaining to the US/UN? or any body else that might listen. I shake my head. facepalm.gif

elviajero's post shows a profound understanding of the game being played - and why. I agree 100 %

It shows no such thing.It shows only stupidity.If you genuinely seek "profound understanding" you should perhaps reflect why over a wide spectrum of Thai society, including those who have strong political disagreements with Watana, there is alarm and anger at this disgraceful incident.

it is sad how some people can twist fascism into something they feel comfortable justifying...

Thaksin is taking care in a professional and heavily funded way that his name will never be forgot.

So it would be quite naive to pretend he has nothing to do with what is going on in Thailand

On neutral ground,

I seem to agree with this. The demonstrators yesterday have many red shirt supporters. The pheu thai party mps are Thaksin's people. The AA of journalist's have links to red shirts or the previous government. Of course, no suprise really. In every country in the world with democracy there are left wing and right wing politicians and views. The point to make though is why can't people exercise their viewpoint without being persecuted, detained or jailed. This is the period of reform, to find a way to live in peace and harmony together. But one side is not listening to the other. Compromise is urgently hoped for, imo. Wait and see.

Visit Guantanamo and then talk to the US again...

Guantanamo is for terrorist murderers, this guy expressed an opinion. Slight difference I'd say.

"...expressed an opinion".

Here's a question for you: do you believe it's just possible he has a carefully planned agenda?

Here's a clue: he was one of the main ring leaders to try to get an amnesty rushed through parliament at 3:00 am in the morning when Thailand was as asleep.

completely irrelevant to this arbitrary detention which is a clear violation of human rights.

Move along now, .... hug a general...

Bla, bla, bla, Thaksin, bla, bla, bla.

I honestly think that if the junta started murdering little babies that would be OK for a few of the posters because of the bogeyman in Dubai.

Disgusting.

Oh dear! Did you forget it was PTP's supporters murdering babies as part of their campaign for democracy?

Bla, bla, bla, Thaksin, bla, bla, bla.

I honestly think that if the junta started murdering little babies that would be OK for a few of the posters because of the bogeyman in Dubai.

Disgusting.

Oh dear! Did you forget it was PTP's supporters murdering babies as part of their campaign for democracy?

Trust you to bring up that one horrific incident and paint it as a PTP policy. How ingenious!

Agreed - Wattana is a corrupt, self serving politician.

His daughter is a benediciary of his ill gotten gains.'

Not sure why everyone wants to make out like he's Ghandu

Edited by pedro01

Yes, before Thaksin there were no problems at all, and all the current problems can be traced back to the bogeyman!

What an amazingly ignorant statement.

Edited by MZurf

I hate the junta as much as anyone, but if me and fellow 'farangs' had told her what we thoight of her father and his ilk when they were in power, she'd have called us a 'farang' and told us to mind our own business.

Now she turns to foreigners when the boot's on the other foot. Trying to have your cake and eat it.

And by the way, no I don't think her father should be in detention for speaking out. But he probably should be in prison for other things he's done.

Such as ? just asking thats all.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove. I can't prove anything. But here's a quick question for you; If you could know 100% for sure whether this man has ever committed any crimes worthy of a prison sentence, would you bet 'yes, he has', or 'no, he hasn't'?

I'd put my apartment on that answer being a resounding 'yes'. When you've been here long enough, you know exactly the nature of the beast.

Again, I dislike both sides very much.

it is sad how some people can twist fascism into something they feel comfortable justifying...

I am not justifying anything!

It is indeed sad that some people can't accept a very simple statement for what it is.

Of course he is playing a game, and just as the current regime, for personal gain. (you hopefully aren't so naïve to believe the current lot is not doing it for personal gain !).

I for one hope he succeeds, the sooner Thailand returns to democracy, the better.

The message that should be apparent and clear is that the current regime locks people up for merely expressing an opinion. And that is unacceptable, regardless who is being locked up.

The deflection tactics you employ make me sick, I cannot understand that there are people that approve this.

Let's see how this plays out, with a bit of luck the idiots fall for his trap. I think Prayuth and co are indeed stupid enough to make Watana into a martyr.

So you believe activists make gestures to prove a point. Isn't that what I have written! But if you believe people like him do it for the good of the people perhaps you should be questioning your own judgement.

The profound stupidity is with Watana and family thinking his undramatic gesture is going to have any impact with the US.

It is indeed sad that some people can't accept a very simple statement for what it is.

yes, you are....

Of course he is playing a game, and just as the current regime, for personal gain. (you hopefully aren't so naïve to believe the current lot is not doing it for personal gain !).

I for one hope he succeeds, the sooner Thailand returns to democracy, the better.

The message that should be apparent and clear is that the current regime locks people up for merely expressing an opinion. And that is unacceptable, regardless who is being locked up.

The deflection tactics you employ make me sick, I cannot understand that there are people that approve this.

Let's see how this plays out, with a bit of luck the idiots fall for his trap. I think Prayuth and co are indeed stupid enough to make Watana into a martyr.

I don't trust any politicians and have contempt for the lot of them. I don't support the Junta's methods but I equally don't think the country is any worse off in the hands of the Junta than it will be once the next bunch of self serving politicians get hold of the purse strings.

Thailand has never had democracy and is decades away from being able to sustain a western style government. Democracies are the best of a bad choice, flawed and proven to fail. I don't profess to know the answer, but I believe Thailand needs to find it's own Thai style way to govern it's people. Thailand is unique and currently has another opportunity to start over.

If things are left unchanged and restart as before we will see another 'democratic' (LOL) government, elected by a minority of the electorate, that will be able to dictate policy with little regard for the consequences or good of the country.

yes, you are....

When you've grown up and are ready for a mature debate come back. In the meantime, my dad's bigger than your dad!

I don't trust any politicians and have contempt for the lot of them. I don't support the Junta's methods but I equally don't think the country is any worse off in the hands of the Junta than it will be once the next bunch of self serving politicians get hold of the purse strings.

Thailand has never had democracy and is decades away from being able to sustain a western style government. Democracies are the best of a bad choice, flawed and proven to fail. I don't profess to know the answer, but I believe Thailand needs to find it's own Thai style way to govern it's people. Thailand is unique and currently has another opportunity to start over.

If things are left unchanged and restart as before we will see another 'democratic' (LOL) government, elected by a minority of the electorate, that will be able to dictate policy with little regard for the consequences or good of the country.

The country most definitely is far worse than prior to the coup, I honestly don't think this is even debatable. The proof is overwhelming.

And Thailand most definitely had a democratic framework after the 1997 constitution. Key of course is that the minority accepts and respects that they are not in charge. This indeed is lacking in Thailand, and since that minority has some powerful and influential backers, they have repeatedly succeeded in taking power away from that majority.

If by Thai style democracy you mean the elite can control the government elected by the majority through a fully selected senate, you got what you wanted, as that is the draft constitution in a nutshell.

By the way, Yingluck's government did have the support of the majority, over 52% of the Thai electorate voted for the parties that formed the coalition government. And thanks to the success PT booked at constituency, they had the support of 300 out of 500 MP's.

And as a further note, dictating policies with little regard of the consequences or good of the country, is precisely what is happening right now !

Edited by sjaak327