Seamstress on Sukhumvit to Sew Amp Cover

OliverKlozerof

You know the ladies with sewing machines on the street? There's one on my little soi...my Thai's not fantastic, but I made a detailed plan on my computer, showed her a completed sample of a rather simple project (a guitar amp cover; basically a rectangular box with no bottom and cutout on top for handle). I was rather amazed that she seemed not to be able to comprehend what I wanted and said it was too difficult.

Anyhow, anyone know a 'seamstress' (or other person with sewing machine) in Sukhumvit area (I'm out past On Nut), who's smart/competent enough to complete this relatively simple project? (Or is it they are clueless/unable to deal with anything not clothes related?) Thxpost-36746-0-54384500-1461179642_thumb.jpost-36746-0-97893100-1461179658_thumb.p

Edited by OliverKlozerof

Just before On Nut road ,on Sukhumvit, there are a few shops selling sewing machines. The tailor i go to is in that group of shops but in the sois /area behind them there are a lot of shops that do sewing for the local tailors. Inquire there !

The problem might be that they can not understand the drawing. If you were to cut the material yourself then show them where to stitch the pieces together, you would probably have more luck.

Though I've found it a bit hard to believe, you are correct--they don't seem to be able to comprehend the plan. However, I did find a seamstress on Soi 22 yesterday that said she'd have one finished by this evening. (I'd asked my favorite tailor in Nana if they knew anyone up to the task, and they recommended her, since she also works on bags, etc.)

Though this woman seemed a bit more competent than the others (I'd also asked 2 other roadside seamstresses in my area of Udom Suk, one of which 'would try' after her 2 week backlog; the other a vulgarian who dismissed me with a "mai mee"), she couldn't grasp the measurements from the plan and instead grabbed a crumpled piece of paper and drew her own crude 'plan' on it with the same numbers as on mine. Funny how, with my Western upbringing, I sort of assumed most people would be able to understand the kind of designs I made in drafting class in junior high school.

The problem might be that they can not understand the drawing. If you were to cut the material yourself then show them where to stitch the pieces together, you would probably have more luck.

Though I've found it a bit hard to believe, you are correct--they don't seem to be able to comprehend the plan. However, I did find a seamstress on Soi 22 yesterday that said she'd have one finished by this evening. (I'd asked my favorite tailor in Nana if they knew anyone up to the task, and they recommended her, since she also works on bags, etc.)

Though this woman seemed a bit more competent than the others (I'd also asked 2 other roadside seamstresses in my area of Udom Suk, one of which 'would try' after her 2 week backlog; the other a vulgarian who dismissed me with a "mai mee"), she couldn't grasp the measurements from the plan and instead grabbed a crumpled piece of paper and drew her own crude 'plan' on it with the same numbers as on mine. Funny how, with my Western upbringing, I sort of assumed most people would be able to understand the kind of designs I made in drafting class in junior high school.

Many Thai people do not understand maps either. The diagramatic representation of physical objects onto another medium is not taught in many schools.

Obviously many Thai people can read diagrams and maps, but these people won't normally be sitting on the street using a sewing machine.

Damn!

If it's this difficult to find someone who can sew a cover for (what appears to be) a Fender Deluxe Reverb, then I can only imagine how tough it's going to be to find someone who can repair one!

At any rate, best of luck, OP, and post pics of the finished product if you will.