High Speed Internet

burgerking

I'm not sure I understand your question, but if you already have broadband and want to add WiFi, then you can simply purchase your own WiFi Access Point for ~ 2,000 baht.

Can you describe your current set-up in more detail? ADSL or Cable TV?, Current network equipment installed (ADSL Modem, Cable Modem, include brand & model no., type of connectivity to your PC: USB/ethernet)?

There would be no incremental monthly cost.

Buy a wireless router from True for 2,900 baht - you can't exchange the other one even if it is uused and still in the box (I just moved and the landlord kindly set it up for me but got normal broadbrand rather than the wireless that I wanted). Be warned - the instructions are impossibly difficult to follow to set it up - in fact there are bits that are completely incorrect/missing so unless you're really technical you won't be able to set it up yourself .... they have technicians that come for 500 baht, but luckily I had a friend that helped me as i really didn't want to pay the money when it was their instructions that were at fault!! (Also no instructions for setting up on a Mac .... i have a regular PD and an ibook)

edited to add: just in case you're still confused, when you go into the True shop look for a white box with a drawing of a lady in a red dress on it. The box says Wi-Fi@home .... that's the one you want (can be used up to 15 metres away from the modem).

Edited by sylvafern

Shop around for "Wireless ADSL Routers" before you fork out money direct to True.

The D-Link G604 is a good choice, but there may be more up to date models.

If necesary we will talk you through the setup, whatever brand it is.

D-Link G604T is the one I use.

It is alright, but does not support UPnP properly, which means you have to learn about port forwarding if you want your applications to have full access to the internet. It also can throw a fit with too many simultaneous TCP connections, but nothing that cannot be solved by pulling the plug on it for a minute.

Port forwarding is not rocket science, but can be a steep learning curve for most people who have never had to deal with networking before.