self defense in Thailand, is it unlawful to fight back

stvette2002

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bear in minds that who ever is the instigator of any altercation, the non Thai will end up paying for all

damages and hospital bills, no matter whether it was a self defense using resemble force to protect oneself,

this is the law of the land, i.e. Thai= poor, farang= rich, and so this ' logic' prevails even in motor vehicles

accidents, so think twice before acting unless there's no other way out to act.....

Just bear in minds that who ever is the instigator of any altercation, the non Thai will end up paying for all

damages and hospital bills, no matter whether it was a self defense using resemble force to protect oneself,

this is the law of the land, i.e. Thai= poor, farang= rich, and so this ' logic' prevails even in motor vehicles

accidents, so think twice before acting unless there's no other way out to act.....

Link to said law of the land please.

Link to said law of the land please.

"Law of the land" can also refer to common law.

Anyway, Ezzra is not completely correct. The only two car accidents I have had in Thailand were caused by Thai drivers, and both took responsibility. In the second (repairs cost about 16k), one of the Thai guys in the delivery van shot off down the road to buy us all drinks while waiting for the insurance rep - very affable guys.

A farang in a fight is seen as entertainment and a money making opportunity for a Thai Policeman.

Here is an example how things can quickly go "belly up' in Thailand.

Some time ago, I was in McDonadls and there were 2 German boys claiming the cashier 'shorted' them the correct change on a 1,000Bt note.

They were being very polite about it all, but persistent, and requested to see the CCTV video to verify their claim.

The cashier of course was not going to show them the evidence...

so the German guys persisted, they wanted the correct change & asked the Tourist Police be called to settle the dispute. They were being very polite and expected it to be sorted by the police.

Coincidentally, there was a police box across the street, so the cashier sent staff and asked the police to come resolve the issue.

Did the police go and help the tourist? No. They sent over 7 motorcycle taxi drivers to escalate the situation and they watched from across the road.

I waved over the German boys and explained the Police were not coming...They are not exactly like the German Police back home...Really? .. and those 7 taxi drivers lurking around were sent by the Police to escalate the situation. Probably get a good kicking, then be spending a day at the Police station costing 20,000 Bt each.

The took my advice and gave up their quest for the correct change.

The 7 motorbike taxi drivers all got a free ice cream.

Edited by CousinEddie

If it is only two guys on a street then I think I would fight and go after each as if my life depended on it, and would win ! If 3 or more perhaps it is a swing like crazy and run like hell into a shop someplace near by and call police. This is a no win situation but I won't just sit and let cun/-s kick the shit out of me. They will also pay a price.

If it is only two guys on a street then I think I would fight and go after each as if my life depended on it, and would win ! If 3 or more perhaps it is a swing like crazy and run like hell into a shop someplace near by and call police. This is a no win situation but I won't just sit and let cun/-s kick the shit out of me. They will also pay a price.

You want to see a Thai run a 100 yard dash? Get in a fight.

A mob of random, bitter guys will instantly arrive to kick your head in.

Sorry, i would have to call BS on that.

If i had read the above 20 -25 years ago, i would have agreed, but times have changed.

True story; 1995 in Phitsanulok a motorcyclist ran into the back of a stationary (parked) vehicle, wrecking the bike and injuring the rider. The owner of the parked car was deemed at fault along the lines of "If the Falang wasn't here (in Thailand) the accident wouldn't have happened".

As said above, times have changed.

A farang in a fight is seen as entertainment and a money making opportunity for a Thai Policeman.

Some time ago, I was in McDonadls and there were 2 German boys claiming the cashier 'shorted' them the correct change on a 1,000Bt note.

They were being very polite about it all, but persistent, and requested to see the CCTV video to verify their claim.

so the German guys persisted, they wanted the correct change & asked the Tourist Police be called to settle the dispute. They were being very polite and expected it to be sorted by the police.

Coincidentally, there was a police box across the street, so the cashier sent staff and asked the police to come resolve the issue.

Did the police go and help the tourist? No. They sent over 7 motorcycle taxi drivers to escalate the situation and they watched from across the road.

I waved over the German boys and explained the Police were not coming...They are not exactly like the German Police back home...Really? .. and those 7 taxi drivers lurking around were sent by the Police to escalate the situation. Probably get a good kicking, then be spending a day at the Police station costing 20,000 Bt each.

Uh huh....

getting kind of tired of these fearful rants about lifting a finger and mobs appearing from nowhere to kick the foreigners arse. stems from anxiety of being in an unfamiliar place i suppose

situation would be the same as anywhere else thugs would attack. nothing wrong with responding as you would on home turf. do some damage and flee as soon as possible.

Edited by fey

And here we go again with the same old nonsense.

Basically, if some guys want to kick your ass go totally nuts and do major damage. Make them wish they were not born. After run like hell to any place that they will cause damage, 7/11, big C etc. We know they are pussies but we are hoping they will just walk away, they won't !!! Go for the kill !!! No mercy !!! No second thought !!!

getting kind of tired of these fearful rants about lifting a finger and mobs appearing from nowhere to kick the foreigners arse. stems from anxiety of being in an unfamiliar place i suppose

situation would be the same as anywhere else thugs would attack. nothing wrong with responding as you would on home turf. do some damage and flee as soon as possible.

Me too. I'm not sure what sort of experience this sort of assumption comes from. The movies or something like that?

If there's a riot situation, I would say yes, a certain mentality takes over and people do things they would not normally do. Riots, though, are noisy and can be often spotted from quite a distance. That's when you put some tarmac between you and that.

Normally, thugs look for easy wins, whether it's money or "look I can beat this farang". If it looks like a difficult situation (your body language does not make you look weak or fearful), then they will look for someone else.

No. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Thais ONLY fight in a mob. Complete strangers will gladly join in the kicking of a farang. I've seen it more than once. They will kick and kick and kick ...long after the guy is down.

Reports of gangs of Thais, pouncing on foreigners were being reported almost every week until the "press' stopped covering the attacks for their acts that might affect the Pattaya tourism."

Search the forum.

Edited by CousinEddie

Most of the foreigners that get set upon are mostly drunk. I doesnt happen very often to guys who are sober. But to answer your question if anyone took a swing at me I would fight back and I think any one who was in control of their mind would do the same.

I not believe this story!!! If you have problems with a cashier in a McDonalds the restaurantmanager come direct and check what happen. And for sure they check the cctv. I also not believe that the police sent 7 taxidriver!!!!

Complete BS story!!!

I think most Farang are too drunk to fight back. I recommend not overindulging if you

are a bad drunk. It will probably end badly in Thailand. Personally I'm a lover not a fighter.biggrin.png

I doubt that many people consider the legality for their actions in that type of situation.

Many people do not know how to fight, or defend themselves.

Have you ever considered that some folks don't want to fight people?

I doubt that many people consider the legality for their actions in that type of situation.

Many people do not know how to fight, or defend themselves.

Have you ever considered that some folks don't want to fight people?

I would say that all things considered, most people do not want to fight.

The thread is not about if people want to fight, it is about self-defense.

Avoid Pattaya! This will narrow the odds of problems. You may get problems elsewhere but most times I see hear of it in Sin City.

My opinion is it happens elsewhere but there is no English Language newspapers to print about it.

No doubt if you win you will be arrested or worst, thi country is not about fair play,

Remember the Aussie who runs a yacht business? He was set on by some bouncers for filming them assaulting other farangs. He's been here a long time and knows the score when they chased him down the streets well away from their place of work. So he pulled his pocket knife and killed one of the attackers.

From memory I believe he made a donation to the bereaved family, but the BiB didn't press charges.

In a similar situation here, or anywhere else for that matter, I'd do the same. Better judged by 11 than carried by 6!

Sorry, i would have to call BS on that.

If i had read the above 20 -25 years ago, i would have agreed, but times have changed.

True story; 1995 in Phitsanulok a motorcyclist ran into the back of a stationary (parked) vehicle, wrecking the bike and injuring the rider. The owner of the parked car was deemed at fault along the lines of "If the Falang wasn't here (in Thailand) the accident wouldn't have happened".

As said above, times have changed.

No, the times have not changed. And it applies to both thai and farang. A thai colleague of mine was sitting in his parked car on the road last month after a morning run in Queen Sirikit Park Bangkok. Being a 4 lane road, traffic was light at 8am on a weekend. Incredibly, he was hit on the back by an ice delivery van. Police ruled that my colleague was at fault as he should not have been waiting there. The pick-up driver did not have a driving license, so we argued that he should not have been behind the wheel. As per the police ruling, there are 2 different cases. My colleague was responsible for all damages to both vehicles, the pick-up driver was separately charged for driving without a license. Our insurance agent agreed with this ruling.

Complete nonsense, i dont beleive this!