Apple Maps traffic now available in Thailand

bubba

I just noticed today that traffic information is now available for Thailand in Apple Maps for iOS 9, as well as for the OSX version. Must be a fairly recent addition, as Thailand is not even listed in Apple's feature availability page for Maps traffic. It appears to be nationwide, but spotty in less populated areas. That seems to indicate that they must be getting crowdsourced data from somewhere, but it would obviously not be from Google. Anyone have any idea where the traffic data are coming from?

I watched the traffic data this evening on my commute home and it was actually quite accurate.

Apple gets its data from users. You need to have the "Traffic" option enabled in Location Services (Privacy>Location Services>System Services). Then, when you're out and about AND your device is plugged into a power source, you should see the little GPS arrow come on in the status bar.

For traffic speed it would be a fairly simple average time over distance algorithm or similar.

Tried it out today with turn by turn directions. Unfortunately, it appears the live traffic data are not factored in to the estimated journey time. Maps was estimating 18 minutes to my destination of Central World. About 40 minutes later, I actually arrived there.

Tried it out today with turn by turn directions. Unfortunately, it appears the live traffic data are not factored in to the estimated journey time. Maps was estimating 18 minutes to my destination of Central World. About 40 minutes later, I actually arrived there.

Google maps is the same. During Songkran we drove to Paragon and Google said x minutes and we finally arrived in x + minutes.

• 6 months later...

Archived