Obama’s Brexit comments draw strong rebuttal from London Mayor Boris Johnson

rooster59

This thread is about Boris's rebuttle?

Well I was embarrassed, how rude he was.

I think he fears for his future

I don't think he really cared about remaining or going. Just wanted to put some distance between himself and Cameron

But remember, just a few weeks ago he was extolling London as the financial centre of Europe. How about Frankfurt then?

Sadly, I think his days in politics are numbered. It's really not nice or wise to make racist comments about the American president IMHO

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is about Boris's rebuttle?

Well I was embarrassed, how rude he was.

I think he fears for his future

I don't think he really cared about remaining or going. Just wanted to put some distance between himself and Cameron

But remember, just a few weeks ago he was extolling London as the financial centre of Europe. How about Frankfurt then?

Sadly, I think his days in politics are numbered. It's really not nice or wise to make racist comments about the American president IMHO

Actually, he could consider stand-up. A cross between Ken Dod and Bernard Manning ?

Tempting to say keep your nose out, Barry, but in all likelihood lecturing another country will backfire on him. Imagine a British prime minister patronisingly urging the American people to give up dreams of sovereignty and remain in a united North America, lest it goes to the back of queue on trade? Yuck!

Americans don't have a clue the absolute disgust that most Brits and Aussies have for the USA. Americans just trot along liking the Queen and and feel some sort of allegiance to their British roots while in reality the only roots the Brits want is putting the US in the ground and see if anything grows.

Obama and his advisors are clueless about this and did not realize that him saying no to Brexit has almost assured that it will become a reality. I'd say he swings a hate index that will put 30% of the UK on the opposite side of anything he wants.

The majority of the people in the UK don't go to University (http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2013/jun/04/higher-education-participation-data-analysis) so it's not like we are talking about the brain trusts of Britain making the decision.

Look at the posts on Thai Visa and you can see the reaction to Obama/any American having the temerity to make a comment about British politics while the Political/news forum on Thai Visa is full of Brits commenting about Trump/gun control etc.. and the American elections god forbid there was any kind of quid pro quo and an American have an opinion about anything in the UK.

So Obama and all you other Americans take note - any opinions you may have about the British are not wanted (said with a stern voice) and any opinions we Brits have about America are to be taken seriously by you less than brilliant colonials. So there.....

Oh, so you are the representative for all Brits and all Aussies as well. Were you elected or were you born into the post? I don't represent all Americans, but my opinion would be that most Americans don't care whether what is left of the UK stays in Eurozone or not. However, the US leader who has an approval rating in the UK of around 76% (2015 Pew Research Poll) shared his opinion as a Brexit will be costly not only to the UK but to other countries including the US. He made the remarks I think quite respectfully and without any bullying or racist remarks unlike Boris Johnson or yourself for that matter. As far as Americans having an allegiance to their British roots, that is absurd. We're quite proud of the fact that we revolted against British rule and kicked George III out of our little part of the world. Oh, and only 13% of Americans even have British roots and I'm sure most of them never think about it. As much as we love the UK (despite your crankiness) you will never see "I'm proud to be English" on a tee shirt in America.
Yes, quite agree

There are some depressingly uninformed contributions on here

BTW the Guardian piece on tertiary education looked the number of 17 - 64 year old with qualifications. Right now at least 50% take further education

All foreign heads of state voicing an opinion say UK leaving EU is a huge mistake

I feel quite sorry for poor Boris! He's backed the wrong horse and is now resorting to discourtesy. He's finished in politics now if course- a rather large dead parrot

Never understood the concept of paying into a fund, to help other countries to improve their industries and infrastructures,while watching our own country fall into disrepair and industry decimated. I wish I had gone to grammar school and university,so that I could understand the policy of self destruction. Secondary education must have been too focused on commonsense.

I find it disappointing that there is such negative responses to Obama's remarks. He is generally supporting the position of many of the UK politicians and giving an idea of some of the negative consequences.

It is a referendum and the US will abide by the decision of the British people on the issue. The US President is advocating mainly for the trade portion of the possible Brexit. There is more to this than just trade. Trade will suffer, at least in the short term, but there may be gains for the UK in other areas.

A strong and united EU is in everyone's best interest; it just doesn't seem that the way the EU is run right now that that is easy to achieve.

You have nothing to fear from the remarks of the US President. He has a greater regard for the democratic process than he does for which side wins the referendum. He also probably has equally as much concern for the rest of Europe, which will suffer greatly from a Brexit.

Someone posted that he should not have said it while he was in the UK, but should have saved his remarks for when he was in the US. That's probably not correct. It's better that he speak about the UK while he is in the UK. Remarks made in the US will make it sound much stronger and much more like interference.

The UK still has the Commonwealth and I have a feeling that a re-orientation toward the former colonies can make up the differences. Europe itself will not necessarily fare as well without the UK.

I think it's better if the UK stays in the EU, but I am not British and I most certainly do respect the ability of the people of the UK to determine what is in their best interest in the long term.

Most of the British I know have a mixed opinion of the US, mostly bordering on the mildly critical. Most Americans that I know have a positive and favorable attitude toward the British and the UK. Whatever the UK decides, they will have the backing of the US people and the congress. The UK may end up at the end of the queue, but I bet it suddenly gets to be a very short queue.

The difference between the UK and the EU is that by and large the UK is trusted. There are no linguistic barriers (OK, a few), between what is said and both countries have a large element of trust for one another.

The US can negotiate with the EU through the UK easier than negotiating with the EU directly.

Best of luck to the UK whatever you decide.

You nailed it.

Many posters are elevating the US to a role of being the dominant country. Why even make an issue? Trade agreements and financial arrangements are tight between the USA and the UK. It's not that Obama loves your country or that he is trying to outrule your government..... I think it has more to do with what you said. We will always be allies.

The UK will always have things to say about American Politics....it's not interfering. Neither is Obama Interfering. There are probably people high up in government (UK) that want to know what Obama thinks....even if plumbers and retirees do not.

Just shrug it off. It's friendly.

One thing I have learned in life...when dealing with most others... is to understand that "people are not against you, they are for themselves". In other words...do not take this intrusion so personal.

Edited by slipperylobster

The US President isn't sticking his nose into the politics of the UK. He is expressing an opinion on a economic union that has an impact on the US. There is a difference for backing a candidate and an expression on a policy. It's a big difference. Countries do that all the time. Countries often express their opinion on the death penalty in the US and they act on that by not allowing extradition if the death penalty is on the table. That's just one example, by the way.

I dont know what you have been reading, but Obama is sticking his nose in British politics. He has also been making threats about trade agreements if we leave...where are you from? Are you american? This is a referendum for the BRITISH PEOPLE, not americans..We dont need an american to tell us how to vote, WE decide, NOT Obama.

Most Brits don't give a toss what he has to say, Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage has proved that.

The US President isn't sticking his nose into the politics of the UK. He is expressing an opinion on a economic union that has an impact on the US. There is a difference for backing a candidate and an expression on a policy. It's a big difference. Countries do that all the time. Countries often express their opinion on the death penalty in the US and they act on that by not allowing extradition if the death penalty is on the table. That's just one example, by the way.

I dont know what you have been reading, but Obama is sticking his nose in British politics. He has also been making threats about trade agreements if we leave...where are you from? Are you american? This is a referendum for the BRITISH PEOPLE, not americans..We dont need an american to tell us how to vote, WE decide, NOT Obama.

Most Brits don't give a toss what he has to say, Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage has proved that.

The strangest thing about your post is that you forget all the intrusions into the American constitutional right (to bear arms)...... many non usa members have stuck their noses into that......

Its an open forum here. Feel free to receive our opinions on how your government should be run...just as some (from your country) voice their opinions on our constitutional rights.

karma.....

The strangest thing about your post is that you forget all the intrusions into the American constitutional right (to bear arms)...... many non usa members have stuck their noses into that......

Its an open forum here. Feel free to receive our opinions on how your government should be run...just as some (from your country) voice their opinions on our constitutional rights.

karma.....

I was saying its naff all to do with Obama, we are not gonna be swayed by his moronic ramblings...absolutely NOTHING to do with him. We, the British people will decide for ourselves...IN or OUT, It will be our decision, not yours, you can give opinions until the cows come home, but they completely worthless to Brits. You should sort your own country out before you start telling us what we should do. I think you should all have as many guns as you want anyway, and vote for Donald Trump, we need a good laugh when he is Prez.

Is Boris wildly off the mark?

Had any world leader interjected in a US topic of such significance all would be appalled. Had a world leader actually overtly threatened a US election/referendum process there would likely have been widespread bipartisan condemnation. Why? Because its outrageous diplomatic etiquette to overtly appear to manipulate other States. That most State actors try to subtly influence their foreign interests is not in question; the outrageous abuse of a foreign actor on another nation's soil is the issue. In this regard, there should hardly be limits on what is said in protesting this diplomatic abuse.

What Boris really means

I subscribe to the theory that recognizes the "roots of Obama's rage;" I concur that his "rage" is intimately connected to what was inculcated in Obama's youth and also evidenced in Obama's own book. It would be unusual if he were not the Anglophobe his past suggests he is.That a British politician thinks this is hardly unusual; the issue regarding the Churchill bust, while variously rejected, continue to haunt Obama's first days in office. True or not, this perception persists because Obama is an extremely divisive person.

Why would Obama do this?

If its true Obama is an Anglophobe, what then is the motivation for Obama's intrusion? Well, first, Obama's motivation cannot be assumed to be the best interest of the UK; there is just no support for this. Something must have weighed upon Obama to motivate him to weigh in on this issue. Since I agree (with Boris) that Obama does not give a hoot about the UK (as evidenced by threats), I assert that Obama's wading in is because staying in the EU is not in the UK's best interest, and Obama knows this. Obama sees the UK as leashed, subordinate, beholden, impotent, disenfranchised, and inferior. Obama already believes this about the UK and so Obama sees it in HIS best interest for the UK to remain in the EU. Otherwise, Obama would never have acted, certainly never have threatened. (Obama betrays his underlying rationale with the threat that the UK would be in the back of the line for treaty negotiations. How outrageous: to effectively threaten an entire people on their own soil).

Conclusion

Obama is the biggest mistake America ever made!

You need to be careful with statistics. There are a high proportion of millionaires children going to university which means that through inheritence those children become millionaires themselves no matter their capabilities.

Top 10 universities most attended by millionaires

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/worlds-top-100-universities-for-producing-millionaires/2008749.article

'er no, that is not what the article is saying. The article is saying that these are the top 10 universities for producing millionaires ie graduates being successful after attending one of them.

You need to be careful with statistics. There are a high proportion of millionaires children going to university which means that through inheritence those children become millionaires themselves no matter their capabilities.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/worlds-top-100-universities-for-producing-millionaires/2008749.article

'er no, that is not what the article is saying. The article is saying that these are the top 10 universities for producing millionaires ie graduates being successful after attending one of them.

'er no, you don't know how to read yet. Click the link above and navigate down till you see the headline below.wai.gif

Top 10 universities most attended by millionaires.

Edited by Scotwight

Tempting to say keep your nose out, Barry, but in all likelihood lecturing another country will backfire on him. Imagine a British prime minister patronisingly urging the American people to give up dreams of sovereignty and remain in a united North America, lest it goes to the back of queue on trade? Yuck!

Americans don't have a clue the absolute disgust that most Brits and Aussies have for the USA. Americans just trot along liking the Queen and and feel some sort of allegiance to their British roots while in reality the only roots the Brits want is putting the US in the ground and see if anything grows.

Obama and his advisors are clueless about this and did not realize that him saying no to Brexit has almost assured that it will become a reality. I'd say he swings a hate index that will put 30% of the UK on the opposite side of anything he wants.

The majority of the people in the UK don't go to University (http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2013/jun/04/higher-education-participation-data-analysis) so it's not like we are talking about the brain trusts of Britain making the decision.

Look at the posts on Thai Visa and you can see the reaction to Obama/any American having the temerity to make a comment about British politics while the Political/news forum on Thai Visa is full of Brits commenting about Trump/gun control etc.. and the American elections god forbid there was any kind of quid pro quo and an American have an opinion about anything in the UK.

So Obama and all you other Americans take note - any opinions you may have about the British are not wanted (said with a stern voice) and any opinions we Brits have about America are to be taken seriously by you less than brilliant colonials. So there.....

Oh, so you are the representative for all Brits and all Aussies as well. Were you elected or were you born into the post? I don't represent all Americans, but my opinion would be that most Americans don't care whether what is left of the UK stays in Eurozone or not. However, the US leader who has an approval rating in the UK of around 76% (2015 Pew Research Poll) shared his opinion as a Brexit will be costly not only to the UK but to other countries including the US. He made the remarks I think quite respectfully and without any bullying or racist remarks unlike Boris Johnson or yourself for that matter. As far as Americans having an allegiance to their British roots, that is absurd. We're quite proud of the fact that we revolted against British rule and kicked George III out of our little part of the world. Oh, and only 13% of Americans even have British roots and I'm sure most of them never think about it. As much as we love the UK (despite your crankiness) you will never see "I'm proud to be English" on a tee shirt in America.
Yes, quite agree

There are some depressingly uninformed contributions on here

BTW the Guardian piece on tertiary education looked the number of 17 - 64 year old with qualifications. Right now at least 50% take further education

All foreign heads of state voicing an opinion say UK leaving EU is a huge mistake

I feel quite sorry for poor Boris! He's backed the wrong horse and is now resorting to discourtesy. He's finished in politics now if course- a rather large dead parrot

Never understood the concept of paying into a fund, to help other countries to improve their industries and infrastructures,while watching our own country fall into disrepair and industry decimated. I wish I had gone to grammar school and university,so that I could understand the policy of self destruction. Secondary education must have been too focused on commonsense.

Thatcher was at helm when manufacturing fell from 25% GDP to 10%

EU has done much to invest in depressed areas and also with R&D

What is your point with education? Always a good thing IMHO (not same as training)

News flash....Barry Hussein Obama, you are the President of America, you are NOT president of Britain...although you probably think you are!

So keep your bullshit for your own people. You are such a fkng hypocrite, you would never give America's powers away, so why the hell should we??

Pu Dee Angrit? (Sorry about the spelling)

Actually, we don't give a toss what Farage says and Boris doesn't care as long as he gets to be head boy of the conservative party

karma.....

I was saying its naff all to do with Obama, we are not gonna be swayed by his moronic ramblings...absolutely NOTHING to do with him. We, the British people will decide for ourselves...IN or OUT, It will be our decision, not yours, you can give opinions until the cows come home, but they completely worthless to Brits. You should sort your own country out before you start telling us what we should do. I think you should all have as many guns as you want anyway, and vote for Donald Trump, we need a good laugh when he is Prez.

Kai yen yen. It's only a discussion forum.

Is Boris wildly off the mark?

Had any world leader interjected in a US topic of such significance all would be appalled. Had a world leader actually overtly threatened a US election/referendum process there would likely have been widespread bipartisan condemnation. Why? Because its outrageous diplomatic etiquette to overtly appear to manipulate other States. That most State actors try to subtly influence their foreign interests is not in question; the outrageous abuse of a foreign actor on another nation's soil is the issue. In this regard, there should hardly be limits on what is said in protesting this diplomatic abuse.

What Boris really means

I subscribe to the theory that recognizes the "roots of Obama's rage;" I concur that his "rage" is intimately connected to what was inculcated in Obama's youth and also evidenced in Obama's own book. It would be unusual if he were not the Anglophobe his past suggests he is.That a British politician thinks this is hardly unusual; the issue regarding the Churchill bust, while variously rejected, continue to haunt Obama's first days in office. True or not, this perception persists because Obama is an extremely divisive person.

Why would Obama do this?

If its true Obama is an Anglophobe, what then is the motivation for Obama's intrusion? Well, first, Obama's motivation cannot be assumed to be the best interest of the UK; there is just no support for this. Something must have weighed upon Obama to motivate him to weigh in on this issue. Since I agree (with Boris) that Obama does not give a hoot about the UK (as evidenced by threats), I assert that Obama's wading in is because staying in the EU is not in the UK's best interest, and Obama knows this. Obama sees the UK as leashed, subordinate, beholden, impotent, disenfranchised, and inferior. Obama already believes this about the UK and so Obama sees it in HIS best interest for the UK to remain in the EU. Otherwise, Obama would never have acted, certainly never have threatened. (Obama betrays his underlying rationale with the threat that the UK would be in the back of the line for treaty negotiations. How outrageous: to effectively threaten an entire people on their own soil).

Conclusion

Obama is the biggest mistake America ever made!

Good spelling but apart from that utter nonsense

I guess you are that rare beast- an educated Brexiteer!

I put your quote into bold that I wish to respond to. For sure, most Americans really don't give a crap whether UK stays in EU or not. For most Americans, the UK is a good friend and ally, and holds a special place as being quaint and part of the country's heritage.

Many Brits on here feel they are better off going it alone, and if that is to be, well, good luck and maybe things important to you will be better then, like immigration that is out of control. Or, maybe, and most likely, you will fall to the back of the pack and will no longer be running with the big dogs. That is ok too, if that is what you want.

'er no, you don't know how to read yet. Click the link above and navigate down till you see the headline below.wai.gif

You are both correct

Since you ask, I was a Durham man but I'm not a millionaire ?

You are both correct

Since you ask, I was a Durham man but I'm not a millionaire ?

Hehe, two of my Unis are on that list, but I'm not going to disclose whether I work in a minimart in a tiny village in Isaan or own the majority shares in global 7-11 holdings company Seven & i.wink.png

And of course that makes it right. It it is fairly obvious from the their statements that they don't know what they are talking about, or if they do they don't want the public to know.

Farage keeps on about the Australian trade deal with the US that took 10 months - what happened in the past holds no guarantees for the future.

Johnson says there is no reason the US will not continue to trade - overlooking a fundamental reason. it would need to be a new deal.

The US has been trying to negotiate a trade deal with the EU for many years and it is not over yet. This new deal and a template for the future requires that standards on each side be amended to a common standard acceptable to each side

There is absolutely no way the US will start negotiations with the UK before the EU deal is complete and projections on that go out to 2019/20.

The other sticking point is that the UK does not have any standards of its own, all based on the EU. The UK would need to introduce new standards so the US can ask for them to be amended. That is not going to happen, they will wait to see the outcome of the US/EU agreement and copy that.

Obama said it could take 5 years or possibly 10 years to reach agreement, the 5 years being extremely optimistic. But of course messrs Farage & Johnson always think they know better.

Edited by sandyf

Jesimps, the EU a socialist contraption?

Where do you get that idea?

The EU is purely made up to help along big business, take away any semblance of democracy to empower this.

Most certainly not a socialist idea, whatever that may be.

Anyway, the problem is the EU, not the common market.

I shudder if Britain indeed would leave the EU, and delivering Europe to the Hun.

Oh so what Hitler couldn't do with bombs, Cameron can hand over without thinking?