Having trouble setting up a PayPal account

I've been trying to set up a PayPal account that links to my Thai bank account, primarily for the purpose of receiving funds. It would be useful if I could also transfer/make payments, but just receiving is fine for now.

I have tried the following (all of which failed) :

1. Adding my Thai Account to my existing PayPal account (previously linked to a HSBC debit card from the UK)

2. Creating a new account and trying to add my Thai bank account

3. Creating another new account using the Thai PayPal site and an e-mail address that was created while I was in Thailand, the account was still not accepted.

4. Contacting my Thai bank to ask whether it is even possible to link PayPal to my type of card (as I can not make online purchases etc.), they said it is fine for receiving payments through PayPal and should just work and that I should speak to PayPal about it. I spoke to PayPal and they told me to speak to my bank. Endless circle of passing back and forth with no one able to actually tell me why it won't work.

Can anyone offer me any clues or help at all? I have friends who have the same type of card as me, from the same bank (Thanachart) and have set it up without any problem at all.

Thank you :)

I am not going to try and put down a fellow equally lonely BM lurking here for a bit of companionship on a Saturday night. But you do say:

I have friends who have the same type of card as me, from the same bank (Thanachart) and have set it up without any problem at all.

So did you ask them?

Edited by The Dancer

I'm pretty sure (it was a long time ago) that to receive payments you should be linking your bank account number rather than your card number to PayPal.

My PayPal is linked to my Bangkok Bank account and my Be1st card (which CAN be used for online payments).

Hi - I had similar issues.

I contacted Paypal and they emailed me back and arranged a time to call. The call centre staff are incredibly helpful and I had my issue sorted within minutes. All they required was proof of ID and address (I used a screenshot from my address from online banking).

My card and my account are now linked to Paypal - I can transfer funds from my Paypal to my account now.

Use the 'contact us' tab and get the ball rolling.

Edited by Hardback

I have linked PayPal accounts to my account at Krueng Thai Bank, and my wife's account as well.

I created two new accounts at "PayPal Thailand" and linked one to my account, one to my wife's.

The name needs to match *exactly* ... I did a cut n paste using the Thai script.

I have a US PayPal account which is linked to my bank account there, and secondarily to a credit card.

Transfer involves logging into my US PayPal account, sending money either to my or my wife's PayPal Thailand account. The log into the PayPal Thailand account and 'withdraw' to funds to the connected bank account.

I have my paypal account linked to my bangkok bank as well like Crossy and also use my card with it, not a problem, paypal do 2 deposits for a piddling amount into your account and you have to tall them what they were. I still have my aussie paypal as well and use both depending on what I do so its very easy to set up.

I had the same issue with my Paypal account and they refused my Thai Bank account, I had this Thai Bank account connected in my old PayPal account but it was still in the system from Paypal you need to contact paypal and ask if they take out your Bank account detail from your old paypal

I am not going to try and put down a fellow equally lonely BM lurking here for a bit of companionship on a Saturday night. But you do say:

I have friends who have the same type of card as me, from the same bank (Thanachart) and have set it up without any problem at all.

So did you ask them?

555++ I rarely know what day of the week it is, and to be honest with you, PayPal is not the hottest topic of conversation right now, so how would I know that they have successfully linked Thanachart and PayPal without asking? Sorry to be a smart-ass ;):P

I'm pretty sure (it was a long time ago) that to receive payments you should be linking your bank account number rather than your card number to PayPal.

My PayPal is linked to my Bangkok Bank account and my Be1st card (which CAN be used for online payments).

Thank you very much to you and everyone for all the advice - I hadn't thought of that! I'll give it a go in the morning and let you know how I get on :)

Why PayPal?

Don't you all get crappt transfer fees +5%?

Give us an example

I don't really like PayPal all that much either, but the company that is meant to transfer money to me will only pay via PayPal, I've already approached them requesting an alternative payment method, but they said PayPal or nothing!!

Finally - success! Just in case anyone else finds the same problems and comes across this post in the future, this is what I discovered ...

Thai PayPal only accepts debit/credit cards from the following banks :

Bangkok Bank, Krungthai Bank, and Kasikorn Bank.

To receive transactions with any Thai bank is fine - you just need to link and verify the account by doing the following :

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Profile near the top of the page.
  3. Click My money.
  4. Click Add my bank beside “Bank accounts.”
  5. Enter the requested information and then click Continue.
  6. Review your information and click Save.

To confirm your bank account, we’ll send 2 small deposits (each between 0.01 and 0.99 THB) to your bank account.

The deposits should appear in your bank account in 4 to 6 business days. You can review your bank statement or contact your bank to find out the exact amounts of these deposits. With this information, you can complete the confirmation process online.

Here’s how:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Profile near the top of the page.
  3. Click My money.
  4. Click Update next to "Bank accounts".
  5. Click Confirm bank account.
  6. Enter the exact amounts of the 2 deposits. For example, if the amounts you received are 0.12 and 0.07, enter 0.12 and 0.07.
  7. Click Submit.

I hope that this information helps someone out someday - thanks to everyone that helped me out here :)