What is the current status of mobile wireless technologies?

I've been living in LOS for nearly 10 years, and have had an AIS mobile number the entire time. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S3, but after four years of use, it's becoming maddeningly slow, so I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a new smartphone - but I want to make sure that whatever I buy will function well in the existing Thai network environment. And I would consider moving away from AIS to a different carrier, if I had sufficient justification. However, I don't have a good sense of what's currently happening here with the mobile carriers, their current technologies (like WCDMA, HSDPA, LTE, etc), and how extensively they're deployed, or will be deployed, and whether there are known problems - not to mention, where. I happen to live in Pattaya, but I do travel around the country from time to time.

I know the status of mobile wireless technologies is a constantly moving target - anywhere in the world - but I suspect it's even more difficult to follow it here. I'm wondering if anyone is up to date on this, or if there's a relatively recent posting which already covers this topic? I'm willing to spend decent money on a new smart phone, but I also would like to plan ahead, to make it as useful as possible for the next four years or so. whistling.gif

Thanks for any thoughts or advice on this!

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S3, but after four years of use, it's becoming maddeningly slow, so I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a new smartphone -

What is becoming slow?

Internet (mobile data)?

Your thread mixes a very global question about mobile technology in Thailand with the question what smartphone to buy?

The last one is a no brainer: buy a smartphone that supports the latest technologies from 3G to 4G/LTE.

As far as I know most upper class devices will do.

Not even necessary to spend a fortune for high speed internet technologies.

A super fast smartphone (processor and graphics speed) is a completely different question.

This might cost a reasonable 5 digit number.

A Galaxy S7 Edge is about 26900 or somewhat less.

The global question is much more difficult to answer,

Who has the fastest mobile data nationwide?

True makes the most marketing noise about "everything 4G".

But I doubt that they deliver.

AIS is still 3G (HSPA or the like) in many areas (like mine).

And same as for fixed line internet there is a big difference between theoretical marketing numbers (42 Mbit/s, 100 Mbit/s) and the real world.

Looking forward to another long thread tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

It's so subjective that you'll get a load of different answers.

What I will say is that AIS 3G seems to have the best coverage in my experience and it's quite fast.

They will be adding 4G at some stage, the licenses were just awarded.

I can't speak for the phones as the company give me mine free, but you'd be OK with a second hand S6 or Note 4 that was first purchased in Thailand (and not on the grey market).

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S3, but after four years of use, it's becoming maddeningly slow, so I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a new smartphone -

What is becoming slow?

Internet (mobile data)?

Your thread mixes a very global question about mobile technology in Thailand with the question what smartphone to buy?

The last one is a no brainer: buy a smartphone that supports the latest technologies from 3G to 4G/LTE.

As far as I know most upper class devices will do.

Not even necessary to spend a fortune for high speed internet technologies.

A super fast smartphone (processor and graphics speed) is a completely different question.

This might cost a reasonable 5 digit number.

A Galaxy S7 Edge is about 26900 or somewhat less.

The global question is much more difficult to answer,

Who has the fastest mobile data nationwide?

True makes the most marketing noise about "everything 4G".

But I doubt that they deliver.

AIS is still 3G (HSPA or the like) in many areas (like mine).

And same as for fixed line internet there is a big difference between theoretical marketing numbers (42 Mbit/s, 100 Mbit/s) and the real world.

Looking forward to another long thread tongue.png

Just for the record, I'm not suggesting that the AIS network is responsible for my phone being slow - it's completely unrelated. The post was only meant to indicate that I've decided to buy a new smartphone, and I wanted to understand the current state of affairs with the Thai mobile carrier environment before deciding on which model. Hope that clarifies.

So I got you quite right.

And you can not do much wrong with an up-to-date smartphone.

The state of mobile data? In transition to 4G.

All three major networks (AIS, True, dtac) advertise 4G.

Each being the best of course tongue.png

3G (HSPA) is about everywhere.

http://www.ais.co.th/4g/en/

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/?ln=en

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/4g/

Edited by KhunBENQ

newer is, almost always, better. if you want a phone that lasts, go with an iphone. if you're part of the android crowd, i suppose any from the samsung galaxy or note series will serve you well. not sure about the i-mobile stuff but for the money, it might be worth a try. xiaomi and oppo are good choices, too. bottomline, get the fastest and latest phone that you can afford.

as for mobile networks in LOS, i have always been a satisfied AIS customer. AIS leads in the customer care department, not to mention the discounts and free stuff you get from being a subscriber. TRUE is probably the worst, not in performance but in after-sales support. in comparison, AIS called me a couple of times to suggest suitable packages according to my usage and within my preferred budget. TRUE has no such practice. they will let you go on paying for 2007 speeds and rates as long as you let them (this is true for all their services - visions, online, etc). i'd only recommend truemove to people i don't like.

Mobile network status for Thailand is the same as for the same Technology in any country:

It is very unhealthy, causes brain tumors [according to the highest Italian court] and probably causes cancer [according to the WHO !!!]

... but I doubt anybody cares, it's just so much fun to have

What I will say is that AIS 3G seems to have the best coverage in my experience and it's quite fast.

I can't speak for the phones as the company give me mine free, but you'd be OK with a second hand S6 or Note 4 that was first purchased in Thailand (and not on the grey market).

If you look at the Radio Coverage maps then yes AIS has far better coverage than any of the others

Mobile network status for Thailand is the same as for the same Technology in any country:

It is very unhealthy, causes brain tumors [according to the highest Italian court] and probably causes cancer [according to the WHO !!!]

Those claims are speculative. Mobile phones are designed such that the radiation pattern is away from the body. If you hold the phone with the back of it next to your body all day and every day then there could be some effect

Those claims are speculative. Mobile phones are designed such that the radiation pattern is away from the body. If you hold the phone with the back of it next to your body all day and every day then there could be some effect

Dream on and enjoy the ride ... it's just so much fun to kill yourself :-)

Dunno about th but in au with telstra using lte advanced I can get 250mbit/sec with 15-20mhz channels with band congregation, kinda like dual carrier/dual cell 3g

Do you have your own base-station at your hermitage gigglem.gif

The usual fun stuff numbers. cheesy.gif

So I got you quite right.

And you can not do much wrong with an up-to-date smartphone.

The state of mobile data? In transition to 4G.

All three major networks (AIS, True, dtac) advertise 4G.

Each being the best of course tongue.png

3G (HSPA) is about everywhere.

http://www.ais.co.th/4g/en/

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/?ln=en

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/4g/

Thanks for the links!

Dunno about th but in au with telstra using lte advanced I can get 250mbit/sec with 15-20mhz channels with band congregation, kinda like dual carrier/dual cell 3g

Do you have your own base-station at your hermitage gigglem.gif

The usual fun stuff numbers. cheesy.gif

Some LTE-a speed tests, Australia

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5210079318

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1666660518

1416417290.png

Edited by Jdiddy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to check out prices for the S6. Are all S6 models capable of G3 access?

I'm going to check out prices for the S6. Are all S6 models capable of G3 access?
The S6 is one of the most capable phones ever made. It wants for very little.

Thanks.

Does Lazada sell grey market?

Any experiences with buying a refurbished phone from them?

TIA.

The S6 is one of the most capable phones ever made. It wants for very little.

Excuse that, I should have selected the multi quote

To repeat,

Thanks.

Does Lazada sell grey market?

Any experiences with buying a refurbished phone from them?

TIA.

I bought my Galaxy S6 64Gb from Lazada. This model was never sold by Samsung here. No problems.

I ordered my wife an A7 on Saturday via Lazada which arrived today. It comes from Samsung, was 2k cheaper than their store price, came with a 32Gb SD card which was not in their advert. No problems.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant