cost of living for 1 adult and 2 children in Chaing Mai

Clive

The answer has been given.

250k p/m, comfortable life, not including international holidays and trips, or putting money away.

Budget this, and you'll probably be okay.

And how much would he need if he was going to the US?

I would say it all depends on what kind of school you want for your children, good and cheap education is hard to find.

Rent. 12.000 a month for average house.

Motorbike, 20.000 for a second hand.

Food, 5.000 a week, for foreign food, Thai food much cheaper.

Buying a motorbike isn't part of the cost of living - that is a one-time capital purchase.

The best answer to the OP's question is a minimum cost of living plus whatever he wants to add to his comfort level and circumstances.

Can get a rented house for far less than B12,000 per month.

Foreign food for three people I am sure wouldn't cost B5000 per week! Closer to B3000, I would say. There is plenty of food that is not specifically "foreign", like potatoes, rice, fruit and vegetables and so on from local markets - at Thai prices. Many other items: cleaning materials, detergents, toiletries, don't need to be "foreign"

Try BUPA Thailand for "family" health insurance scheme - they have Office in Chiang Mai and they speak good English. I recommend them. Costs depend on scheme, ages and pre-conditions of Members.

250k p/m, comfortable life, not including international holidays and trips, or putting money away.

Enough to buy his way out of the reason for going there.

Quite surprised a few of you think you need $100000/year to live here, and some couldn't afford an international holiday on that! What do you spend your money on? Eating 3 times a day at Dukes would cost a family of 3 90000/month, a very nice house would be 40000/month including bills. Somehow you need to spend another 4500B every day. Consumerism gone mad!

I would say it all depends on what kind of school you want for your children, good and cheap education is hard to find.

blink.png

two adult and two children

THAI FOOD 3000-5000 per week.( can be cheapest .. but..)

How can 5000 western food for 3 people be?blink.png if its double or triple price?

Edited by ardokano

Quite surprised a few of you think you need $100000/year to live here, and some couldn't afford an international holiday on that! What do you spend your money on? Eating 3 times a day at Dukes would cost a family of 3 90000/month, a very nice house would be 40000/month including bills. Somehow you need to spend another 4500B every day. Consumerism gone mad!

Bar tabs gone mad. How else could you unload that much change month after month in CM.

Edited by Rob13

may be double cheapest?

biggrin.png

In US price its more chep when in Thailandwhistling.gif

Buying a motorbike isn't part of the cost of living - that is a one-time capital purchase.

The best answer to the OP's question is a minimum cost of living plus whatever he wants to add to his comfort level and circumstances.

Can get a rented house for far less than B12,000 per month.

Foreign food for three people I am sure wouldn't cost B5000 per week! Closer to B3000, I would say. There is plenty of food that is not specifically "foreign", like potatoes, rice, fruit and vegetables and so on from local markets - at Thai prices. Many other items: cleaning materials, detergents, toiletries, don't need to be "foreign"

Try BUPA Thailand for "family" health insurance scheme - they have Office in Chiang Mai and they speak good English. I recommend them. Costs depend on scheme, ages and pre-conditions of Members.

yes can even for 1500 bath rent and leave as thai 7k bathwink.png

you forget

cost fuel, insurance, service for car/ scooter/bike

even Thailand car its can be easy cost near 200k per yer

I am not talking any NORMAL car.

Children need toys clothes etc?

Need electronic?

In Thailand need much more for comfort western style/ quality life.

As example chek price in HK i pay and in Thailand its total cost minimum 1.5 time up in Thailand

PS

beef 700-3000 B KG

beer 300 bottle

C'mon OP help us out. Don't say "rent, food etc etc". Tell us what you like. Do you need a pool? Do you prefer restaurants or eating at home. Do you like Thai food or Western. How old are the kids. DO you want day care, live in or out? Tell us what you want from your life in Chiang Mai and you might get a decent response. It cost's me a 100k to live in Phuket. Does that help you with zero details?? Get the picture?

I honestly believe everyone has options

U can live likes Thai Thai and I see some have done that like a badge of honor

I have also seen others who have lived here like a king and spend without thinking twice

Do what makes you comfortable ...I'm eating at Lamcheron Seafood ...ordered more than I can finish for one ....but there is always a doggy bag and lots of strays to share with on the way home

Love Thailand ...be yourself

So you go to the luxury homes option on perfecthomes, choose a house, and call it OK.

Then you find the most expensive option on the Camry. Then you choose the most expensive school - which the OP specifically asked to exclude - he homeschools - when a perfectly good school like Lanna charges half what you quote.

How about this:

http://perfecthomes.co.th/property/mu-baan-thanakrit-3-bedroom-house/

Nice house, 15000B.

Ford Ranger 4 door, same downpayment as your Camry, 13000B/month.

Lanna School (for arguments' sake), 35000B/month for two.

I have just knocked 130,000B/month off your costs with virtually no impact on lifestyle.

The good thing about Thailand is you can house your family in cr@ppy accommodation, travel with them in uncomfortable pick-ups, and give them a substandard education.

Cheaply!

Wahey Thailand!

You obviously know nothing about the Ford Ranger, nothing about what makes a good school and think if a house doesn't have a private pool it must be cr@ppy.

Whatever the case, I'm done with the troll.