Mega and Ikea

kingalfred

This is why I never shop at weekends in Thailand. It's treated more like a family outing than a function.

Well, if there were huge queues at the checkout, I'd guess that these people did actually buy something didn't they?

Anyway, this looks like any Ikea next to a major metropolis. I certainly avoid going there on sundays, especially if rainy.

Edited by Lannig

Next time you need a new round table from IKEA, send one of your knights instead.

wrong king. Alfred not Arthur

Alfred also preferred his tables to be round and had a lot of knights. Read your history books. He hated square tables.

Been there too this afternoon. Those crowds where to be expected on the Sunday after the Songkhran holidays.

even on a regular Sunday, IKES at MEGA is like a war scene.

I went there on a Sunday when it had just opened 2 or 3 weeks earlier. Couldn't believe what I saw. Hundreds of spoiled kids running through the store, declaring it their playground. they were tearing down curtains, played trampoline jumping on Sofas, bowled down furniture. Seriously I have never seen anything comparable in my life. I believe they must more or less set up the store from anew every Monday morning. On the other hand, there is no doubt this place is a gold mine. Never bought anything at IKEA in Thailand, as it is quite expensive and I always found a similar item at Home Pro or sometimes even BigC for half the price. Still, if you avoid the IKEA store, MEGA is a lovely Mall with plenty of sophisticated (and pricey) dining and drinking options in the food walk promenade outside

Regular visitor. Before noon parking is ok, afterwards there's a tailback in to the mega carpark. Popular place.

Never had a problem getting parked.

Agree popular place for the free air con freeloaders, never buy anything, just wander around.

Worst day to go Sunday, or in Thai, wan krop krua, family day.

The upcountry hillbillies and their spoilt brat kids running wild, rather you than me.

PS, not mentioned, how much rent do these stores pay to justify their prices?

My mrs looked at a pair of Reeboks, 4,900 baht at Mega, she bought the same shoes for 1,400 at The Mall Bang Kapi.

I looked at a pair of Doc Martens, if I wait until next month when I go to the UK, they will be half the price.

• 2 months later...

Retail in Thailand is a nightmare, management just haven't got a clue, instead of hiring more checkout staff they'd rather be impressed with 500baht a day saving

Like Tops, even the express checkout you always ask for that stupid 1st card and then comes slow motion nung song hok sam, then they inevitable get one digit wrong and have to repeat it, I swear this happens every time.

I dont shop on weekend because it just grows my rage exponentially.

Next time you need a new round table from IKEA, send one of your knights instead.

wrong king. Alfred not Arthur

Yes, making the word play even more inventive and amusing.

Glad you caught it.